“Riu Yucatan”
Review of Hotel Riu Yucatan

Hotel Riu Yucatan
Ranked #63 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Arrived Boxing Day 26th Dec for 2 week stay.
Had NYE in Riu Yucatan , Very nice no exspence sparred lobster, caviar, fillet steaks etc free Champers etc. The NYE Party was amazing was full good fireworks good after party.
2nd stay at Riu did Tequilla last time. Riu Yucatan much nicer cost bit more but well worthit.
weather was good first week . 2nd week overcast raining. not hotels fault though just unusual weather didnt spoil trip did Tulum, Chichen itza. cenotes etc day trip to Cancun had luch in Riu Cancun free as was AI. Riu Cancun cost more than Yucatan but no where near as nice glad only went there for afternoon.
Did all trips with private taxi hire much better and cheaper than thompson trips. had flexability to do what we wanted arrived before the stampedes at Chichen itza etc.
Would i go back to Riu Yucatan? deffo lovely place . mate of mine stayed in Riu Palace not next door first one that was very impressive but cost a lot more.

Room Tip: Block 4 stayed in 4210 on corner nice sea view , room above was also good 4310. sun trap good in...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
12  Thank Londoner18
Write a ReviewReviews (5,956)

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I am wondering if I am in the same hotel as others who have written a review about this hotel as I totally disagree with them. The hotel is very clean, the staff are lovely and the food is good. Yes I agree the shower in the room is not very private as it has a clear glass door but that is not a problem as you can lock your door and even put the do not disturb sign up if you are that bothered. I personally would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. Writing this while sat in the reception area

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
21  Thank Holsforever-111
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We came here for our Honeymoon Jan2014,On arrival to this Hotel we soon Relised you could be anywhere i the World Fushia Pink and Silver No Mexican charm at all, Of which is a shame !!The Food was Good Lots of choice and always Hot and quickly replenished !! The asian Resurant i have to say is the Best
The Rooms Clean but VERY Damp,My clothes smelt of damp and my Shoes went Damp to after 2 weeks (Photographs at the Bottom) Not good if you have any Chest ComplaintsThomson Reps not that good, They told me it's Mexico Our clothes go mouldy all the time, Of which i told them we should be made aware of these Problems at the welcome meeting, and Kirsty just said oh !! if you raise a Problem they don't seem bothered at all !! Bar taff Excellent, Reception staff Grumpy,
The Trip to Captain Hook and Coco Bonga's worth Every penny !
We did have a good time despite the above, We had 9days out of 14 off rain Not the Hotels fault But the Hotel wasn't able to cope with this, If i went to Mexico again i would stay at one of the other Hotels,
Yucatan has an Amazing Beach, Great Pools and Safe Area close to 5th Avenue a Taxi costs £3.00
Shops Zara Beneton, Pandora and many more

Room Tip: Block 1 or 2
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank willis28
Reviewed 18 January 2014

The hotel has recently been modernised so has lost some of its Mexican charm but still looked lovely.

The pool area is spacious lots of sunbeds with umbrellas, many people getting up early and reserving their beds which did cause a few problems. The beach is beautiful just the lack of shade lets it down as there are no umbrellas.

The rooms were clean and were nicely furnished, the optics for the minibar and mini fridge which are stocked with soft drinks and water would be replenished frequently. The cleaners did a good job and always had clean towels and sheets and also left a cute towel animal.

The food from the main buffet was excellent always a wide range so always could fine something, the service was also a high standard drinks were brought to you, plates quickly cleared away. Ate at the steak and Italian restaurants which again were both nice. Book the A La Carte restaurants in advance as finding a suitable reservation was a task.

The day time entertainment was good, lots of different activities, pool games, beach parties, water/beach volleyball, water aerobics etc. On the evenings the entertainment team put on a show, which was from magic to movie songs/dances. The evening bar staff were excellent served quickly and were always up for a laugh.

While staying at this hotel you also have some use at Riu tequila and Riu playacar so its nice to go and have a look around and use their facilities as the night club and sports bar are located in the Riu tequila which is only across the road. Also take a wonder around Playacar or get a short taxi ride to 5th avenue.

Also another bonus is the hotel gives 90 minutes of free wi-fi limit per device a day which for me was more than enough time.

Overall had a wonderful holiday and would recommend this hotel as its a great hotel in a great location.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Georgiaas
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I was really excited about being in mexico in september 2013 ,and when I arrived at the hotel I was very impressed with what I saw .The hotel looked very grand and I learnt that it had recently been revamped .
My room was very clean and the decor was nicely furnished complete with optics for the mini bar ,along with a fridge full of soft drinks and water that would be replenished every couple of days .
The food in the restaurant was 1 st class and was being replenished by the chef in front of each counter as it was being served up .The choice was amazing . I even spotted a bucket full of bottles of champagne at breakfast time . The hotel itself was lovely .
The pools looked good ,but I wouldnt swim in the pool bar ,people were in it all day drinking and never seemed to get out ,the water looked very dodgy!!!!!!
The beach was very sandy right into the sea too .
But !!!!!!!! sadly my holiday did not get off to a good start .The first evening I went to visit the Thompson rep to pay for the trips that I had been told about in the morning at the welcome meeting .
I sat opposite the rep with a small table between us ,I put my bag beside me on the chair that I was sitting in and then we started talking about the trips and how I was going to pay for them. I opened my bag took my purse out took my credit card out put my purse back into my bag and leant forward to put credit card in machine to pay ,this must of taken all of 2 mins.He handed me my card back and I went to put it in my purse and it was gone !!!!!! I couldnt believe it I had been sitting in the chair less than 5 mins and I had been targetted .At least I still had my credit card in my hand because I had nothing else (all my currancy english/mexican ,debit card and driving licence were gone). The rep said was I sure I had my purse with me ,well he saw me take it out and he was the one who was sitting opposite me and could see behind me .This made me feel suspicious towards him too . He made a report spoke to the hotel manager and said he couldnt believe it was one of the staff as it was more than their jobs were worth . hmmm is all I can say to that .I went to speak to the manager too and all he said was well as I hadnt seen who did it there was nothing he could do . They had no cctv in the area I was sitting in ,which I was amazed at considering all the various reps were there taking money for trips .There was cctv in the rest of the hotel as far as I knew .There seemed to be no real concern for me at all .All they could advise was for me to claim on my insurance when I got back home . They did not offer me any support at all ,considering I was a lone female in a foreign country and this was my first evening in their hotel I felt very let down .
I have very mixed feelings about the hotel staff ,I wanted to smile back at them during my stay but I cant help but feel it was one of them that did it .I was aware of staff walking behind me into some wash up area I presume as they were taking trays of glasses in there .
I want to say I did have a nice holiday in mexico and saw some amazing sights ,but I have learnt a very valuable lesson in hindsight ,that is to keep my bag on my lap in front of me in future .

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
25  Thank englishmaiden
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed at the Yucatan last year with family and friends and had a lovely holiday with perfect weather. We heard the hotel had being closed for three months and upgraded so we decided to book again.
The Hotel is lovely but the rooms do need sorting out, they feel very damp which made all our clothes smell of damp. The bathroom is still open and even though I am married I do like my own space for bathing etc, there is no fan in the rooms which means the room stays damp. I do not think they have being touched apart from a splash of paint and a new shower door instead of a curtain.
The weather was poor but It seemed to be all around this year, but there is very little to do when the suns not shining, after a few days the hotel provided us with umbrellas so we could get about more.
Thats the down side out of the way.
We did enjoy our holiday as its the most expensive time to go anywhere, Christmas eve had a gala meal which was lovely and the hotel was trimmed up nicely.

The restaurants have bin done very modern and look much more open, the italian is very nice and food excellent especially the salmon.
There is always something to eat for everyone and if you ask Chief will cook you want ever you fancy.
New years eve was fantastic, the gala meal was amazing infact too much to eat really
and they improved the night by putting on a disco with a top DJ plus the show before so the night went on till 4am in the top bars.
The beach area is very busy so you do have to get up early and save a bed less you will end up on the sand, there is some that save them and do not sit on them but at the end of the day we have all paid for our holidays so up them if they stay in bed till lunchtime.
The biggest problem with the hotel that the Tequilla shares our beach and restaurants so lunchtime is like feeding time at the zoo and can be very unpleasant.
Also the bites are so annoying and uncomfortable, we bought everything to try and prevent them nothing stops them, so go to the local shop and buy OFF insect spray and use it even in the mornings and try take vitamin B12 three months before you go anywhere like Mexico.
Playa Carmen is safe and fine to walk anywhere as it is guarded by barriers everywhere so taxis are checked every trip, we have stayed in Can cun but feel that this is a nicer side. The Playa Car is also a Rui hotel so you can use this too and is a nice hotel, smaller but much more peaceful if you want a quiet day on the beach.
The wild life are very interesting and nice to see, the monkeys do not come down and annoy you but roam around the trees with their young, the occasional sound from the boss early in a morning sending his mating calls so you dont need an alarm clock.
So if you fancy a nice holiday do give this hotel a try...

Room Tip: Block 2 is near the restaurants and bars and not too far in a morning to the beach and sunbeds. Seco...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank princessfeec
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This hotel is amazing. I was there for the last week they were open before they started renovations. It was amazing. If you dont like this hotel you are VERY picky. Playa Del Carmen is beautiful ! The beach is great and it is a gated community so it is extremely safe. It must be even more amazing after renovations.! I would love to go back ! Defiantly do Mexico over Cuba !! The shows were at 9:30PM which were a little late after a long day but not that big of a deal.

** Must do excursion Shell Ha

Room Tip: Request to be near the beach and a balcony. When I was there there was not beach view but we we were...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family