Stayed Feb 28th-Mar7th '14.
We originally booked the RIU Tequila but upon arrival they offered us a free upgrade to the Yucatan! Immediately put us in taxi's and the hotel paid for them to take us to Yucation (literally a 5min walk lol)
Check-in was instant not a single person waiting. Johnathan at the front desk was hilarious and very informative. We would always make jokes with him when walking by the lobby.
I booked room 9205 by myself and my friends who were a couple stayed in ajoining room 9206. Very clean, fridge stocked, nice big flat-screen TV with many English channels was a plus. Beds nobody had issues sleeping. Although mosquitoes were in the room after a rainstorm it got very humid and we got bit a few times.
The resort is very clean as well. Staff are always working non-stop from the landscapers all the way up to managers. I don't think i saw a single person standing around and they were all very friendly.
The food ohh man did we ever gain some weight coming back it's probably the best selection of any resort I've ever been to(check my reviews I've been to many resorts). Honestly the Buffet was my favorite restaurant every night it was changed. We tried all of them and Shanghai(asian) was definitely our favorite the PeKing duck was the best. Least favorite is definitely the steakhouse. I recommend skipping this one entirely vegetables/sides were cold and meat was not the greatest cuts.
Pools were great! Quiet one was definitely our fav the chairs are upgraded and you get a canvas roof you can open to expose sunlight above you which is amazing. The bar there Ibiza was also good. Beach was cleaned everyday I noticed and chairs were hard to find just takes a while. The first day we got bit by sand fleas so I highly recommend packing insect repellent! I used Muskol Deep Woods and never got bit after wearing that.
My fav bar was definitely the Lobby. Nancy and Ricardo run a pretty tight shop and never leave you waiting long for a drink or shot. We joked around, had a lot of fun and hung out here everyday! They also carry good liquor brands such as Smirnoff, Beefeater, Johnny Walker and Dos Equis beer on tap.
I highly recommend this resort to older crowds, couples and families. As a single traveler I did meet a few people from all over the world but this is definitely a typical Riviera Maya Resort. Don't expect RIU Caribe or other Cancun hotspots for partying. Although I'm sure now during March break it's a different story so I've been told from Resort staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km/ 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * In Playacar's resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey buildings * Mexican "Hacienda" style architecture * Surrounded by 40,000 m2/44,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Next to the Mexican Street * 800 m/2,650 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen