This was our second visit to the riu yucatan.
Starting with the flight, last year we experienced a 34 hour flight delay , this year we had a 10 hour delay from birmingham due to a technical fault ,also no in flight entertainment ,exhausting journey (12hours in airport then flight time) we also had to fly from birmingham to manchester to fuel plane and pick up new pilot and flight crew. knew what to expect at mexico airport, no problems with immigration.smooth ride to hotel with local rep.
We liked the refurbishment both in the rooms and public area, same comment as other reviewers about the clear shower door and damp smell in rooms. If you set air con on low setting this seems to help. If set to high the room / bed feels wet. Left a few coins in room these were stolen , maybe. Mix up with cleaner thinking was tip??? Not sure ,reception filed in form but nothing else. Other belongings o.k valuables in safe o.k. we stayed in room 1902
Towel over door solves the clear glass issue / shower cubicle. Room very clean, fridge stocked every two days, ask for diet softdrinks if you prefer. Wonderful animals made from towels, made us smile.
The beach is beautiful , soft, clean lots of subjects and Palm trees for shade, ask staff to help move beds . Walked every day and enjoyed zumba classes held on beach. Use free body boards,
Food , good selection, no hand wash facilities to clean hands before entering restaurant s a few people complained of diarrhoea, food self service lots of handling of utensils, ice scoops by guests , this needs sorting. Also issue of birds in restaurant by beach stealing food.
We love the location of this hotel, feels safe, taxis available, staff hard working, grounds clean, like watching the wild life.
Hotel needs to sort out the restaurant issues though also mosquito s are a problem we tried lots of sprays the one that worked well was called 30/30 insect spray from the chemist in playacar. My husband has 21 bites on each hand after sitting in the lobby bar .
If you have booked , I'm as sure you will have a great time,and want to return ,tempted to book again
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km/ 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * In Playacar's resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey buildings * Mexican "Hacienda" style architecture * Surrounded by 40,000 m2/44,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Next to the Mexican Street * 800 m/2,650 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen