I visited this resort for a wedding and traveled with my boyfriend and a group of about 20 people in their late 20s, 30s and 50s. We stayed in the Quetzal part.
This was my second time in Playacar that year.
The resort itself has 2 parts: Quetzal, which is 5 stars and Tucan, which is 4.
They both basically use the same restaurants and bars but the Quetzal has better rooms.
1. The resort is absolutely beautiful! You might get lost, but it's ok because you will keep stumbling upon all kinds of cool things. There is a waterfall with swans swimming about, a giant turtle pen, a bunch of parrots (not caged), flamingos, tucans, the cute furry animals with a long tail (forgot what they are called), iguanas, etc. The walkways are all stone, surrounded by trees and shrubs, protecting you from the sun and giving quite the jungle feeling (without the poisonous bugs, of course).
2. The restaurants are big, good food, a bit hard to get to sometimes but once you find them, it's worth it.
3. The A la Carte restaurants are really good. We went to two of them and they had quite the options. Very yummy.
4. The beach is incredible. They have a very large beach with a bar and you can almost always find a space under an umbrella.
5. The rooms were amazing. Comfortable beds, nice TV, fancy and big bathroom. Our balcony was big too and it faced the jungle and a cave so it was quite relaxing to hear the breeze in the trees.
THE NOT SO GOOD:
1. The resort is big and it's hard to find your way around. We got lost multiple times, especially at night and there aren't too many maps to guide you.
2. I didn't really see much animation staff. Never went to a show, but the theatre was big and I saw the dancers practicing and moving all kinds of cool decorations around all the time.
3. The staff were not too friendly and I was "attacked" by a few because I was showing my girl friend around the resort.
My friend was staying at the next hotel up and I wanted to show her the swans, and the whole cool jungle feeling of the place. I was simply showing her around (did not get her a drink or food) when suddenly, one of the lobby staff charged at us and started questioning me why my friend was there. When I told him that she was just looking around because it was pretty, he told us to immediately go to the lobby because I am being charged $370 to my room (for the night) if she wants to stay there! When I told him she doesn't cause she's at the other hotel, he said that he will have to charge me the day pass, something like $85! I told him to relax, he started raising his voice at us, called the security and had us escorted out right away! WHAT?????
I'm sorry, but if this is how the lobby, hence "welcoming" staff treat the guests at this 5 star resort, I do not ever want to go back. I really felt attacked, wrongly accused and threatened.
So, beautiful resort, great rooms, lovely beach, great restaurants but the staff, not so much. I had an amazing time because I was with a great group of friends. But that one incident really ruined everything for me and I will never go back there. My friend will never book a trip there either.
If you are going, I hope nothing of the sort happens to you, have a great time and don't get lost!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Privileged situation directly on the beach of Playacar, around 3 km from the town of Playa del Carmen. A watersports and diving paradise. Sub- tropical mangrove swamp. Great gastronomical variety. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Odigeo and TravelUp so you can book your Iberostar Quetzal Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Quetzal Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Iberostar Hotel Quetzal Playacar
- Iberostar Quetzal Playa Del Carmen
- Iberostar Quetzal Playacar Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen