“Awesome; You will Love it” 5 of 5 bubbles

Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
Ranked #43 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Maui, Hawaii
“Awesome; You will Love it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2011

Our family of 4 (husband/wife, 13-year-old son; 15-year-old daughter) had the best time of our lives. We cannot say enough good things about Iberostar Quetzal.

Loved:Beatiful, large, white-sand beach that extends onto other properties. I love walking the beach, but it extended so far down the coast it was too far for even me to walk.No lines for food or drinks. Tasty meals with tons of variety. Everything fresh & hot/cold.Japanese restaurant was an out-of-this-world experience as they do "show-cooking" there with the chef in the center of a table of 18 people. Our entire family loved watching the "show" PLUS the food was the best Asian food we have ever eaten. My son even tried octopus. Mini-bars were refilled DAILY with lots of soda/bottled water/beer, even though signs indicated they would be refilled every other day.Staff (waitpersons, maids, bartenders, "Star friends" (activity directors) were all GENUINELY friendly and kind.Free-roaming animals provided an incredible experience we've never seen anywhere else in our travels. Tons of beautiful peacocks walking around; parrots, monkies in the treetops, large tortoises in a garden-like enclosure, flamingoes (confined to a pond area).We felt very safe here. To get into the general area (named Playacar), the driver has to surrender their drivers license.
Yes, the bed was firm, but I slept better on it than I do on my soft bed at home.
Yes, we also had tiny ants on the sink in our bathroom, but we did not let it bother us.
Yes, the huts/palapas and poolside chairs were all "reserved' with towels/personal items before 7 am BUT you can always get a large beach umbrella from the towel shop and set up on the beach AND IT IS JUST AS GOOD AND JUST AS FUN as hut/pool!

The only thing that could have made it even better is if there were activities targeted JUST for teens, or a teen center or some way for teens to meet each other. We spent several days of great quality time alone with our almost-13-year-old son, but he really wanted to meet up with some boys his age. After several days, he finally got in with a couple boys who were playing ping-pong and then had fun with them for our remaining days. But it would have been much easier if they had some activities specifically set up for that age range. The "Kids Klub" turned out to be for much younger children.

Now, here are a few tips:
1. When we arrived at Cancun airport, we assumed that the airport porter offering to port our bags was with Lomas Travel. We had rolling suitcases which are easy to pull along, but the porters (in light blue shirts) grabbed them and reassured us (in broken English) they were with Lomas Travel. In fact, they work for the airport and took us a short distance outside to the actual Lomas Travel reps (in blue/green shirts), then expected a tip.
2. We were unable to make a toll-free call from the payphone in the lobby, in order to confirm our return trip. So we were kinda just going on faith that our return plans had not been changed in the 6 days we were on vacation. That made us a little nervous.
3. For the ladies, I would recommend bringing a nail file and a heel file. My fingernails got sand/grit under them and were dirty the whole time I was there but I had nothing to clean them! My heels got really grungy walking in the sand, and I wished I'd had my trusty heel file from home to clean them up after each shower then slather with lotion.
4. Non-motorized watersports are included BUT do not make that the decision-maker when choosing a hotel, because many days you cannot use them due to windy conditions. The flag was red half our time there, and yellow (caution) the remainder, so we couldn't take out kayaks or anything. We were a little disappointed about that, but the hotel can't control the weather and we understand that. My point is, don't let the availability of watersports make/break your decision when choosing a locale.
5. BEFORE we arrived in Playa del Carmen, we planned to take a day and go to Cozumel and spend the day at the sister hotel Iberostar Cozumel, enjoying their free snorkeling/restaurants/beach/etc. HOWEVER, once we arrived at Iberostar Quetzal and spoke with the front desk staff, we realized it would have cost $200 for our family of 4 just in transportation. To get from Quetzal to the dock is only $7 for a taxi; the ferry to island of Cozumel is $15/per person each way; taxi from Cozumel dock to Iberostar Cozumel is $30 each way. We would have loved to see Cozumel and experience their snorkeling, but couldn't see paying $200 to do so.6. We did take the Dressel Divers snorkeling tour from Iberostar Quetzal beach, which is a 15-minute boat ride south down the coast. For the $40 each, it was OK in order to introduce our children to their first time of snorkeling, just to find out how they liked it. (They both took to it like fish.) However, I thought the waves at the reef were too large, and the fish were not very plentiful, and the guide (in his defense he was trying to keep us all together for safety and to keep a headcount) constantly kept us swimming and moving. True, he was trying to move us around in order to see fish, but we never got a chance to just float there and ENJOY. It was hard work!
7. Yes, Playa del Carmen IS on Central Time Zone, BUT depending on what time of year you are there, you may or may not be on the same time as "home"! That is because they start their Daylight Savings Time later than we do. Whereas we started DST in March, theirs does not "spring forward" until April 3! So we did lose an hour on our last night there.

ENJOY THE TRIP!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank travel_fan38

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Richmond Hill, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

My fiance and I have just returned from our trip to Mexico. We weren't supposed to stay at Iberostar, we were supposed to stay at Viva Wyndham Maya but they overbooked and sent us here. Well, weren't we lucky...the hotel is amazing. It's like staying in a jungle resort. We woke up every morning to all sounds of nature, it was really quite peaceful. The rooms were a nice size and clean and the beach was spectacular. The staff was really warm and friendly. The food could have been better, especially since this is a five star resort, but aside from a boring selection, it was always cooked well and tasty. We were only able to book one restaurant, so we booked the Mexican one. That was a good choice because the food was delicious, as well as the buffet style appetizers and deserts-try the rice pudding, it was great. We really enjoyed walking through the jungle area and seeing the monkeys, peacocks, these little rodent looking things (they aren't rats, and they don't bother you), iguanas, toucans, flamingos, ducks, giant turtles, little turtles, funny parrots who whistle at you...this resort has it all. The entertainment was actually really good, we even got to see a magic show which was awesome. The pool was really huge and very clean, one of the cleanest pools I've ever been in. The beach was even cleaner, not a single piece of garbage. The water was the most amazing color of blue and so warm. I only warn that you put a ton of sunblock on as my fiance and I got really burnt (even with sunblock all day) and suffered for it. Overall, this resort was great. We would stay here again and not on a technicality, we would book it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ANTravelers
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2011

I visited this resort for a wedding and traveled with my boyfriend and a group of about 20 people in their late 20s, 30s and 50s. We stayed in the Quetzal part.
This was my second time in Playacar that year.

The resort itself has 2 parts: Quetzal, which is 5 stars and Tucan, which is 4.
They both basically use the same restaurants and bars but the Quetzal has better rooms.

THE GOOD:
1. The resort is absolutely beautiful! You might get lost, but it's ok because you will keep stumbling upon all kinds of cool things. There is a waterfall with swans swimming about, a giant turtle pen, a bunch of parrots (not caged), flamingos, tucans, the cute furry animals with a long tail (forgot what they are called), iguanas, etc. The walkways are all stone, surrounded by trees and shrubs, protecting you from the sun and giving quite the jungle feeling (without the poisonous bugs, of course).
2. The restaurants are big, good food, a bit hard to get to sometimes but once you find them, it's worth it.
3. The A la Carte restaurants are really good. We went to two of them and they had quite the options. Very yummy.
4. The beach is incredible. They have a very large beach with a bar and you can almost always find a space under an umbrella.
5. The rooms were amazing. Comfortable beds, nice TV, fancy and big bathroom. Our balcony was big too and it faced the jungle and a cave so it was quite relaxing to hear the breeze in the trees.

THE NOT SO GOOD:
1. The resort is big and it's hard to find your way around. We got lost multiple times, especially at night and there aren't too many maps to guide you.
2. I didn't really see much animation staff. Never went to a show, but the theatre was big and I saw the dancers practicing and moving all kinds of cool decorations around all the time.
3. The staff were not too friendly and I was "attacked" by a few because I was showing my girl friend around the resort.
My friend was staying at the next hotel up and I wanted to show her the swans, and the whole cool jungle feeling of the place. I was simply showing her around (did not get her a drink or food) when suddenly, one of the lobby staff charged at us and started questioning me why my friend was there. When I told him that she was just looking around because it was pretty, he told us to immediately go to the lobby because I am being charged $370 to my room (for the night) if she wants to stay there! When I told him she doesn't cause she's at the other hotel, he said that he will have to charge me the day pass, something like $85! I told him to relax, he started raising his voice at us, called the security and had us escorted out right away! WHAT?????
I'm sorry, but if this is how the lobby, hence "welcoming" staff treat the guests at this 5 star resort, I do not ever want to go back. I really felt attacked, wrongly accused and threatened.

So, beautiful resort, great rooms, lovely beach, great restaurants but the staff, not so much. I had an amazing time because I was with a great group of friends. But that one incident really ruined everything for me and I will never go back there. My friend will never book a trip there either.

If you are going, I hope nothing of the sort happens to you, have a great time and don't get lost!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank VisitAll195
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

Iberostar

Upon checking we were instantly amazed at the beauty of the grounds.  Everywhere we turned was nature and wildlife.  The grounds are covered by Monkeys, peacocks, flamingos and many other critters

This all- inclusive is simply beautiful and the staff is so very friendly and helpful.  They try hard to provide events throughout the day to keep people entertained.  From salsa dance lessons and scuba lessons to a singing and dancing show they try.

Now the nightly signing and dancing shows are not broadway, they are bearable.

The are however, several things which will prevent me from ever returning.

The food is simply awful. Breakfast is good as is most of items in their mexocan restaurany and that's about it.  The dinner buffet was less than poor.  The rest of the meals, boring, tasteless, overcooked and simply subpar

The drinks.  Well it IS all inclusive, so I guess they can't pour a stong drink right?  Let's just say they are weak!!

The beds. Ever sleep on. Rock? I have never been in a hotel with such horribly uncomfortable beds.  Another night and I woulda have had to find another hotel.

The pool chairs.  First off, you cannot find one after about 9am  While their are signs saying no reserving of the chairs, almost every chair is saved by a towel, a hat, shoe whatever.  Once you do score a chair you find they are the cheapest chairs you have ever seen. They are constantly falling apart and people are getting jerked back because the chairs ant stay locked into place. It becomes so frustrating it's almost unbearable.

In a nutshell:
Resort Appearance: 5 stars
Service: 5 Stars
Room Comfort: 2 Stars
Food: 1 Star
Entertainment: 3 Stars

Overall: 2 Stars.   I simply can't give a place more Stars with poor food, an uncomfortable bed and beach chairs that I can't relax in.

• Stayed April 2011
6 Thank Jimx2indc
duncan, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2011

Some background: My husband and I have stayed at the Iberostar Lindo, Secrets Capri, Excellence Cancun, all in Mexico, and Couples Swept Away in Jamaica, all without our kids. We've taken our kids to Walt Disney World in Florida, and Beaches Sandy Bay in Negril, Jamaica, and now here... Iberostar Quetzal. We stayed at the quetzal from Dec 13-20 with our kiddos, ages 9,7 and 2. My review will be based on this experience.

Our first priority in planning our trip (other than safety of our kids, of course) was the beach. We are beach people and did NOT want to go to mexico only to stay at a rocky, mossy beach. Now, I'm not blaming the hotel when these conditions exist, only saying that this is not what we want. I had read that the beach at the Quetzal/Tucan was phenomenal, and it WAS! No rocks, a lot of small shells, but completely walkable with bare feet. Our kids thought the sand and beach was the best part of the trip. We even spent two day from 9am-4pm at the beach without leaving! The beach at the resort is HUGE, there is a lot of area from the edge of the resort to the edge of the water. This was fantastic, as we were there at a very busy season (Christmas) and the resort was at 100% capacity. The palapas were always full by 7am... at least by towels. But we wanted to be closer to the water anyway, so the fact that the resort checks out umbrellas was perfect for us. We had booked two connecting rooms since there are 5 of us, so we got to check out 2 umbrellas for the beach. Plenty of shade, plenty of room. We had to fight for chairs though. The towel game is in full force. We went without chairs on a couple of days, laying out towels and having our daughter sleep on a towel in the sand, only to look around to hundreds of empty chairs with towelson them for hours and hours. We finally got sick of it and took chairs, leaving towels on the sand. I waited for someone to say something about this, and no one ever did. Sadly, I think people stake out their chairs, then go eat, go back to bed, whatever. This is soooo frustrating, especially when you have a two year old that you are trying to keep happy and keep out of the sun as much as possible.

Rooms: No complaints. We had two rooms that connected. I emailed the resort the week before and they said they would try to accomodate this request. They did! The rooms were perfect.

Food: always a selection that the kids liked, and we coudln't complain about. We made reservations at some of the ala cartes, and the Japanese was our favorite.... but not the kids! They liked the show, but ended up eating pasta at the buffet after we left the restaurant! We enjoyed room service a lot, because of our napping 2 year old. The Mexican tacos were AWESOME! and the kids enjoyed the pizza and chicken nuggets. The rooms were always cleaned when we were gone to the beach, and cleaned very well. The kids loved the towel animals.

Pool: COLD! We dipped our toes in and that's it! I saw a couple of kids swimming in the pool once, but they looked blue! We spent all of our time at the beach anyway, so the pool temp didn't matter to us.

Favorites: Some of the best things about staying here.... the animals! my kids (and myself) loved to see all of the monkeys, peacocks, pelicans, birds and other wildlife throught the resort. There truly is a jungle in between the restaurants and the beach, and if you choose to walk the winding path through it you will hear and see some beautiful animals!

Also, self-serve ice cream and drinks on the beach! my boys couldn't get over the fact that they could walk up whenever they wanted and get ice cream. A little boy's dream!

We walked into Playa on our second day there because a cold front hit and the water was frrrrrrreezing! It would have been a great walk if we didn't have the kiddos.... ended up carrying our 2 year old and pushing our 7 year old in the umbrella stroller! We took a cab back.... much smarter!

Please ask me any questions you want... I am sure there are thousands of details I forgot to mention! All in all, this was a pretty perfect vacation for our family. wouldn't change a thing!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank Tara S
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

Most Iberostar Resorts are the highest priced resorts in any given area. I am writing this review because I rely on this reviews when I chose a resort. This one is not worth it. First, our room which was located by the lobb,y 2029, has small ants in the bathroom. So gross. When we informed the staff they stated that the cleaning staff would scrub the bathroom from top to bottom. They were still there, especially at night. The bathrooms are pretty contemporary but the rooms are hacienda in style and small. The beds are extremely hard. My husband and I usually stay in more contemporary and upscale resorts, so we were disappointed.
The pool area and beach were PACKED. We had to fight for chairs, which is very annoying and unnecessary on vacation. There were tons of children and drunk spring breakers. I was hoping for more adults and a more respectable environment for such an "upscale" resort. The drinks were great and you didn't wait in line long.
Reserve your "specialty" restaurant ASAP because they fill up fast. They don't tell you that you can only visit the "specialty" restaurants depending on your number of days you stay. (3 days - 1 restaurant, 4-5 days -2 restaurants, 6-7 - 3 restaurants). Steak house was the best !! The buffet located by the lobby was good, especially breakfast. The Lobby at night was nice. My husband and I read our books and had numerous drinks and enjoyed the light piano or light singing. The lobby at night is great for couples and adults......great conversation, calm and relaxing.....comfortable couches.
Really loved the free roaming animals through out the resort and beautiful landscape. Peacocks, Flamingos and Iguanas.
Be aware that internet is about $14/day and only available in the Lobby which wasn't too much of a problem for us since we liked the lobby at night, but pricey, especially since it is per day.
My husband and I expected more for the price. Not horrible but not great. We usually enjoy resorts with more adults and less children. I hope this helps couples like my husband and I.
P.S. We found out when we got there that two resorts are are actually combined to make this one Iberostar Qutezal and Iberostar Tulum (each on one side of the pool) Too crowded for me and that says a lot since we are from Chicago, IL

Room Tip: not 2029