“Tropical”

Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
Ranked #44 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This hotel is worth trying at least once. I spent my honeymoon here and my husband and I enjoyed every moment. The food is ok overall. It is what you expect from a buffet. The beaches are beautiful. The pools are great although there are never enough chairs. We would get there as early as we could to get a chair. My husband and I took turns waking up early the last few days and went to back sleep in the cabanas just so we could take advantage of that. Most days they were taken over by childrens floats and towels that were left overnight to reserve for the next day. The pool bar is great. The rooms were well kept and maintained. The grounds are beautiful. My favorite part was all of the animals that you can find living on the resort. It was like staying at a zoo. Some of my favorite pictures were of the wildlife. The vendors weren't too pushy and we got some good deals on handmade jewelry that was beautiful. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the beach if you plan on spending a lot of time there. Or you could enjoy...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kds1025
Write a ReviewReviews (4,969)

Reviewed 28 March 2012

I had never been to Mexico before and didn't know what to expect. I was traveling with a friend who had been there many times and stayed at many different resorts. When we arrived, we were both blown away.

First off, it's gorgeous. The hotel is set in a jungle-like setting so you feel as though you're deep in the jungle while you're strolling to your room from the pool. The greenery is gorgeous and unique, so it feels like you're in "real" Mexico, and not just a touristy resort.

Second, they pretty much think of everything. Everything is set up for your convenience, from the numerous swimming pools they have (one for kids, one with a swim-up bar, one for sports, and the huge main one for everyone), to the bars everywhere, the numerous restaurants, the entertainment, the little shops with all the necessities.

Third, everyone who works there is super nice. At first I was worried that they were just nice because it's company policy or something, and that they were being forced to smile, but no! Everyone seemed genuinely friendly. I had friendly chit-chat with many of the staff, they remembered my name and drink orders, and it really felt as though they were content to work there (as opposed to some other places where staff feel bitter to be working in hospitality).

I need to mention the sea. Oh sweet, sweet Mary. The sea is the most beautiful sea I have ever laid eyes on. The water is several different and equally gorgeous shades of blue, depending on the depth of the water. It's not deep on the shore and remains fairly shallow for a considerable stretch, which is great for safety. If you want to go deeper, you always can, but most people didn't. The sand is white and very fine and the beach is kept quite clean. The first day we were there, it was very windy (though hot) and the waves were pretty strong, so we stuck to the pool. But the rest of the week the water was calm enough to swim in and it was amazing. At one point, the water was 26 degrees Celsius. I'll remember that next time I try to dip a toe into the Pacific.

Scuba instructors offer lessons and trips out to sea. There are a few people selling things on the beach, but they don't come by very often and there were about 2-3 of them. They don't bother you, just walk by holding their wares and will come by if you flag them down. Staff walk by and offer massages and spa treatments.

The rooms were large and well-equipped. There were the usual toiletries and some more unusual stuff like a comb, shower cap, shoe polish, sew kit, etc. Very thoughtful on their part.

There were a few things that could have been improved: the beds, for one. When people said that the beds were hard, I scoffed because I sleep on a firm mattress and thought that I would be ok. No, the beds were like sleeping on soft rock. They were so hard that even though I slept on a pillow, my ears still felt the hardness. Anyway, I didn't request a foam mattress top or anything so that was my fault.

Another thing that could have been better was the noise level. First of all, you wake up to the sounds of the many animals that roam the jungle area. That's great, I guess I enjoyed them too much to mind the noise. But one morning, a little before 7 am, I woke up to the sound of cleaning staff talking really loudly (nearly yelling) to each other on the radio outside my door. My friend, who was already heading to the beach, told them to keep it down, but when she came back a few minutes later for the sunblock she forgot, they were still doing it. I was naturally awoken by their loudness and really shocked about that kind of behavior from an otherwise such a fine resort. There were also some late nights when the younger visitors were coming back to their rooms, drunk, and waking people up with their noise. I think this happens everywhere, but it would be great to maybe have some signs or something reminding people coming back that other people are probably sleeping between certain hours.

Finally, the food was pretty average. The best restaurant of those we tried was the steakhouse. That was really flavorful and nice. The others, however, and the buffet, were often pretty bland. Nonetheless, we found the items that were constantly delicious and just ate those.

Some miscellaneous observations: there were a ton of Europeans, Chileans, Argentinians, etc. It was nice to be surrounded by a diverse group. There were fewer "spring break goers" than I expected. Overall, most people kept it pretty classy. The hotel organized a ton of events for people on the beach and at night to keep them entertained, so I thought that was a really great touch. Finally, I may have fallen in love with some of the handsome gentlemen in their employ. Alas, maybe next year.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank tns777
Reviewed 28 March 2012

This Resort is excellent. We stayed 7 nights over Spring Break. We are a family consisting of grandparents, parents and two teenagers. We all loved this Resort. It has something to suit all age groups. Lots of activities to keep whomever wants to participate in them very busy indeed. The buffet served up excellent breakfasts, that was always plentiful. The Italian Restaurant was super good. The waiters were always attentive, professional and remembered which one of us took our coffee black, with or without sugar, etc. The walkways through the jungle was spectacular, with flamingos, monkeys and other creatures scurrying about. Edgar, in the bicycles took us biking around the area and pointed out areas of interest. The evening entertainment, starting with audience participation was funny, and the professional dancers and singers were friendly and happy to give salsa tips to anyone willing to try. The zumba, yoga and aqua aerobic instructor was a huge crowd pleaser every day. Yoel needs a pat on the back from Iberostar for making everyone feel as if they are special guests at his home, always smiling and very approachable. We look forward to our next holiday at this Resort.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 1100 - 1200 are close to the beach and pools, very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank carita_12
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Just returned from this hotel, by far and away the best location, hotel and staff we have ever encountered. My girlfriend was reluctant to travel to Mexico but after a day didn't want to leave and is already planning our return. The location is fantastic, located in a gated community feeling safe, directly onto the beach and within easy reach of local amenities. There is a Starbucks at the close by Plaza which will let you use as much Wi Fi as you like just for buying a cup of coffee, and in particular nearby 5th Avenue with all the shops, restaurants and bars. The beach is stunning, by far the best beach we have ever seen. There is a massive array of water sports to do including free snorkelling and a taster at scuba diving. The hotel rooms were cleaned everyday to a high standard, there is a good minibar, tv and a decent sized bathroom. There is free room service something usually not part of an all inclusive package in our experience. The staff are fantastic, they can't do enough for you, clearly work really hard (in particular the entertainment staff who have something for everyone no matter what age from around 1000 until 1630 each day before the shows during the evening). Our room was at the very front of the hotel and this is no more than 5 minutes steady walk to the pool and beach area. The only time it took us longer was walking through the 'jungle area' where the monkeys, tortoises, peacocks, agoutis, lizards and other animals walk around the complex. The quality of the food is very good, there is a large variety at the buffet and the steak and caribbean restaurants based around the pool in the evening are particularly good. If you tip a few dollars to the staff they are so appreciative and without doubt deserve it. We had an 8 hour delay fying back to the UK but the hotel were quite happy for you to remain and continue using all the facilities other than the room which we had to vacate at midday but there is a small bathroom available to guests who have checked out with showering facilities. There is a vast array of tours on offer in particular to the Mayan ruins and also a jeep safari which allows you to see the nearby Sian Khan conservation biosphere where you can see dolphins, turtles etc in the wild before a meal including locally caught fish and lobster which we found a particularly good day. All in all the best holiday we could have hoped for.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SimonDesf
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Beautiful grounds with lots of amazing animals to see. Shows at night were good, Disco was a lot of fun. This property is close to the downtown Playa area - just minutes away from shopping and night life. Buffet is good, about the same as any other all inclusive, you will not go hungry! Specialty restaurants are awesome!! While we were there (June 2011) it was not crowded at all. The beach is great! Staff was very nice, but not as friendly as some other resorts we've visited in the area. Loved this place, although not as much as others, would go back!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank JPSP90
Reviewed 28 March 2012

This was our wedding destination. Iberostar Quetzel/Tucan made our family and friend vacation a 5 star. All our guests commented on how beautiful the grounds were; jungle, animals, flowers, beach, bridges, lobby and numerous food/beverage venues. We were able to cater to all vacation types: those wanting to read on the beach, those wanting to explore the town of Playa Del Carmen, those wanting to lay by the pool, those wanting to go on excursions, those who want to party and those wanting to go to Cozumel. You can't tell me "there is nothing to do". Thank you to all the hotel staff for letting us visit your beautiful piece of paradise and making our wedding vacation unforgettable.

Stayed: March 2012
5  Thank Sara K
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Dear Guest,

We are very happy to read that you had a pleasant stay at Iberostar Paraiso Quetzal. Our team does our best to provide the comforts of home to all our guests.

Thank you for pointing out the great location and more importantly the hotel setting and sorroundings and most importantly - the staff. I am delighted to hear that each person you came in to contact with were pleasent and helpful.

Please feel free to contact us for your next reservation! We will all be very pleased to welcome you back to create new memories.

Kind regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I have stayed at a few all inclusive resorts, most of them being on the pricey side. This hotel was amazing for the price we paid. We stayed there 6 nights and 7 days. The weather was perfect for the entire week. It rained for 5 minutes one day then cleared right up. The food was plentiful and delicious. It was nice to go on Spring break in Mexico and not have to deal with loud drunk people. I was very suprised with the amount of activities that were available on a daily basis, and also the night time entertainment was very good. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends.

Room Tip: Request rooms in the 20-23 block. Closer to the beach and not in the heart of the jungle where they...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KBer41522

Dear Guest,

I am very happy to note that you enjoyed your stay at Iberostar Quetzall. Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with the rest of the team who were very proud to hear your compliments.

We look forward to welcoming you back again the future. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance when you plan your next stay.

Warmest regards,