We selected this hotel after a visit to the local travel agent and being informed that the weather would be the same as Egypt. Unfortunately it wasn't as it was the end of the rainy season and boy can it rain.
On arrival at the hotel, we were in the room along with the luggage within 15 mins, must be a record. A quick run round the equipment within the room and then we were left to unpack. The room was 2251 which is overlooks the sports pool. A quick unpack and then for a meal. On arrival in the buffet restaurant we shown to a table and ordered drinks, Beer, wine or soft drinks only. A look at the server showed a superb selection of food and I doubt anybody would leave hungry. There was at least 2 large joints of meat, beef, pork etc , there was a good selection of tacos either ready made or plain allowing you to select the fillings. A good selection of fish dishes and small steaks(chicken, beef) and pasta dishes all were available Children had they own selection area for burgers chips etc. There was also a selection of salads, soups and puddings. This selection tended to be similar all the time and there was never a shortage of food.
Breakfast was what you would expect with the exception of the bacon which seemed to be streaky and crisp. Lunch could be obtained from several locations and ranged from 3 course meals to just burgers on the beach. There are a total of 5 alle cart restaurant, Italien, Mexican, Steak, Japanese and tropical(fish). Only tried the first 3 and they were all very good and served a selection of international branded drinks as did all the other bars
The room had 2 double beds, a well stocked fridge (restocked every 2 days), a coffee perculator, iron and board and a standard hair dryer, along with all the toiletries etc. Towels were change on request or every 2 days (we had four in the room) and bedding atleast twice weekly. The room was spotless and always left with an ample supply of fresh bottled water.
The beach and pool areas were all kept very clean and there was never a shortage of sun beds, loungers and shade. The pools never gets deeper than 5' 6" and both the sea and the pool are really easy to get into as they are both warm The areas are constantly been patrolled by bar staff looking after your drinks and nothing was too much trouble for them
For me the highlight had to be the jungle walk with the wide selection of wildish animals and birds. There was always something different to see or hear. The downside been that it also included lots of midges etc which kind of like people, I presume that we are they buffet!
The animation team never seem to stop working as there are always some events on for those who wish the take part but they never pressure you to take part. however everything they did seemed well supported.
To recap this hotel is one of the better hotels I have been in and apart from the weather (I will research this next time) I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to anyone and I would like to thank the hotel and staff for making it an enjoyable stay
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Privileged situation directly on the beach of Playacar, around 3 km from the town of Playa del Carmen. A watersports and diving paradise. Sub- tropical mangrove swamp. Great gastronomical variety. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline, LoveHolidays, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Iberostar Quetzal Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Quetzal Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Iberostar Hotel Quetzal Playacar
- Iberostar Quetzal Playa Del Carmen
- Iberostar Quetzal Playacar Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen