“Good Hotel, Bad Airline...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
Ranked #43 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Canada
“Good Hotel, Bad Airline...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

We went at that hotel for the beach and we were very pleased with it. The sand is white and very fine. TWe went at that hotel for the beach and we were very pleased with it. The sand is white and very fine. The beach run for miles. The water color just unbelievable. The food tend to be a bit overcook but not way overcook. The personnel very friendly and helpful when needed.

The only flaw in that trip was the airline. We went with Sunwing. Getting there went fine. We bought excursions from them. The first was to go to coral reef. An hour ride from the hotel. The back bench as no bench... Only the cloth but nothing to hold it. Very uncomfortable. We did not made any complaint for that trip, maybe we should have. The next one was at Riu Secreto, the secret river. Worth while seeing. Well organized, very friendly guide. We loved it. But, on the way there, we waited 30 minutes in front of a shopping mall for nothing, in a van with no a-c. When we got back from the river, every other hotel had there bus waiting except ours. We were 4 waiting in the wood at night time in a foreign country... An employe waited with us and made a few calls for 40 minutes. Then he decide to drive us with the van of the site witch ad no plate for the road ( it was used only in the drive in the woods ). My girl friend got bugs bites and we were stressed waiting at night time in the woods.

The next morning, we went to see Sunwing employe for a refund. She made a call to her boss and then told us that we had the excursion so no point for refund. When I insisted she said that I have to fill a complaint form and she would give it to her boss and would come with an answer the next morning. The next morning an other employe told us that they are not responsible, they are not the one making reservation for transportation. We paid more money to have service from someone we tough we could trust. It is cheaper to by those excursions from the hotel or even better, go to 5th avenue in Playa del Carmel ( 5 minutes drive ). There are many excursions sellers and I think the price is even better.

While we were waiting for her to reach her boss there were 4 persons that came in an asked for the bus for the airport. They were waitings for 1h30 and were scared of missing the plane. She made some more calls and told them to get cab ( a 1h drive ). 2 young men had no money and the Sunwing employe could not do anything to help them. Luckily for them, a couple offer hem a ride in there taxi.He water color just unbeleavable

3 Thank luc-Nath2
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Luc-Nath2,

Thank you for your favorable comments according your recent stay at Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

We are so happy to know that you had a good time at the resort.
Your nice words about our beach and our friendly and helpful team make us proud.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you and your girlfriend back to our resort in the near future.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sonora
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Had an excellent time at the Quetzal / Tucan resort, ate and drank way too much but a little indulgence can be a good thing. Pool and beach area were beautiful, with large pool complex with something for everyone (sports pool, kiddie pool, bar pool, etc.) We stayed on Tucan side on third floor with balcony facing the interior jungle, and saw monkeys pretty much every morning (they prefer grapes and bananas - feeding is prohibited but everyone seems to do it). Wifi in the rooms is now available for a premium - that needs to be included. I walked to beach corner near Sandos and used their wifi periodically, why should theirs be free and Iberostar charge dearly? Of course the buffets get someone repetitive, but that should be expected. Just the availability of fruits and fruit juices makes it special. Went to three ala cartes; Japanese, Mexican and Steakhouse, probably like the Mexican the best. Japanese hibachi-style is most entertaining. Mauricio and the rest of animation team are great. I will remember Mauricio's "Where is the energies?" for a long time, and of course he has boundless "energies". Great fun.

Room Tip: We choose halfway between lobbies and beach, the only consideration is the noise from the live shows...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank zibhammad
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Zibhammad,

Thank you for your heartwarming review of the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

We are extremely proud to hear that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel.

We appreciate the kind comments you have made of our staff, food and our fauna. Reviews such as yours remind us that our guests do observe the extra effort we make to ensure the comfort of our guests.

Our team looks forward to serving you again and hope that you will not hesitate to return.

Houston, Texas, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Always enjoy this property! The staff is always friendly and willing to help and entertain!
Food is great, beach is clean. The only negative is that they need door closers. Early risers wake everyone else up with the slamming doors.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

1 Thank Mojo721
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing again Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal as your holiday destination. We are happy to know that you had a fantastic time again during your stay.

Your recommendation about the door closer will be forwarded to our management in order to solve this problem. Thank you for this recommendation.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for your sixth visit to our resort.

Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

I stayed 6 nights with my best friend at the Iberostar Quetzal mid November 2013. My friend and I arrived around 10 pm. We were checked-in very quickly by the staff (but were not given a welcome drink as we found out later was standard), and headed to our room. We had a standard double bed room, semi jungle view to see a majority of the animals, but very close to main buffet and nightly theatre (which was extremely convenient).The room was fairly basic, colorful and outdated bedspreads, but most importantly, clean. The bathroom was a nice size, but the beds were hard. We asked for a bed topper to help after reading other tripadvisor reviews. They were kind of old and musty when they arrived, but they did provide some added comfort. A few days later though, they delivered us whole NEW beds (which was awesome!) whether that was a coincidence or intentional, I do not know; but still a welcomed suprise. The food at the buffets was good. My favorite food item was at the pool-side restaurant: flank steak. It was delicious! Overall though, I could have used more classic Mexican dishes (enchildas, tamales etc at the buffets). As far as the speciality restaurants go, my friend and I were very disappointed by the Mexican restaurant. I got the chile relleno and did not like it at all, and I normally love stuffed poblanos. However, the Italian restaurant was good (get the salmon), and the best was Bonsai (yummy and entertaining - 5 stars). The pool and beach area is AMAZING, I just wished the pool area was open later in the evening as there is not a lot to do once the sun goes down, and that the hot tub was actual HOT. The beach though is STUNNING and the drink service was excellent. You can get your own drinks at the bar or be served. Tipping is best to build a relationship with the staff. We did Zumba everyday at 4 pm on the beach. Mauricio is a joy and is a wonderful person/Star Friend. Other staff standouts were Ali (Star Friend) and Serviano (bartender) at the Theater bar area. Everyone was extremely nice, helpful, and the dancers are very friendly. The shows at night were fairly entertaining, not superb, but enough to keep you interested you. I did enjoy the live band and dancing every night. The whole resort is for sure more of an internation crowd (not a ton of English speakers as native language) but it was nice to have that multicural feel. It is a more relaxed resort environment vs Cancun. Overall, my friend and I really enjoyed out stay and the nature environment of this resort and would come back for another visit. Gracias!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lindsey V
Dear Lindsey V,

On behalf of our team, we thank you for writing a review about your experience at the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal and for choosing our hotel as your holiday’s destination.

We feel honored to acknowledge that our beautiful premises, our clean rooms and the excellent service of our friendly staff surpassed your expectations. At Iberostar every member of our staff is committed to ensuring that our guests “enjoy being a Star”.

We are glad to read that you liked the food offerings at the buffet. We have passed your suggestions on to our Chef in order for him to look into areas of improvement.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back; please do not hesitate to contact us to assist you before your next visit.

With regards,

Maui
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

My adult daughter and I went to the Yucatan, and I saw several good reviews of the Iberostar. I booked through their website and they gave me a price that seemed reasonable for an all-inclusive resort. I have a few comments and one major tip if you go there.

We got an ocean front junior suite which I highly recommend. Sliding doors go onto a small patio and you are close to the ocean. We had a breeze and so didn't need the air conditioning during the day time. It rained almost every day (thunderstorms and lightening), but then it would clear up and we would go out and lay in the sun on the gorgeous beach in front of the hotel. There were always chaise lounges available and almost always shaded areas.

The hotel grounds were really nice. The monkeys were great to see, and the other animals on the grounds, including iguanas, made our walks around the grounds always surprising and more fun. I like that they have some jungle paths on the grounds and the thatching on the roofs. This is not a high skyscraper type resort. I loved the brightly colored buildings and more low key open architectural style. It fit into the environment better. I liked that they recycled and the bins were on the paths.

The beds were comfortable, the pillows were great, and the rooms were clean and spacious. The food was uneven - some of the restaurant food was pretty ho-hum, but the appetizers were amazing, and there was quite a variety of choices. The buffet was actually more fun than the restaurants because there was even more variety. One thing that was disappointing is that I came away from the resort with absolutely no idea what local food was like. My suggestion is to have a station in the buffet room with local foods and more tropical foods using local ingredients. (BTW, the pineapple fritters in the morning were the absolute best.) The house wine was fine, and the service was great. They have a lot of activities that we weren't interested in, but we went on a separate tour with Edventures out of Tulum that I highly recommend.

Keep in mind that you are in an all-inclusive, very "cut-off from the community" resort. The security for the whole area is very tight. That can be comforting and also disturbing. It was a relief to get out of the resort and travel to some other towns and areas to talk to local people and be outside of this very nice, very comforting and relaxing but sanitized resort. Staying at a resort like this is not a cultural experience. But it may be exactly what you want -- relaxing beach and pool time with no worries.

One major tip that I can't emphasize enough: At the resorts, you wear a bracelet to let them know you are a guest. You don't take this bracelet off for your entire stay. We made the mistake of wearing the bracelet to town to shop. It felt like the bracelets made us a target of some of the shop owners. We finally got cloth bracelets to cover up the Iberostar bracelet and we immediately had a much better time in town. So bring something to cover those things up when you don't need them! I would have preferred bracelets that could be removed, but I understand the convenience to all of just wearing it.

Room Tip: Ocean front junior suite is wonderful -- faces the ocean and there is usually a breeze when the slid...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Trishsea
Dear Trishsea,

Thank you for your review. We were honored to serve you on your visit at the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

We are happy that even though it rained during your stay, you enjoyed your vacations.

We are honored to know you enjoyed our beautiful grounds, the clean and spacious rooms, the variety of our cuisine, and the service.

Regarding local food, we have a Mexican a la carte restaurant which offers different Mexican dishes from all over the country. We also have a ¨Mexican corner¨ where we serve specialties of our country.

Our team looks forward to welcoming you back and trust that you will consider the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal as your destination of choice for all future vacations.

ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Fantastic resort... Excellent food, lots of variety. Staff is great especially the entertainment staff. Unbelievable how hard they work. The animals on the grounds are unbelievable, monkeys seemed to be everywhere! Highly recommend this place ! Beach and pool are beautiful!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank jennifer s
Dear Jen13jo,

Thank you for your nice comments about your recent stay at Iberostar Tucan and Quetzal.

We are glad to know that you had an excellent time with your family. Your nice words about our food and entertainment staff make us proud.

We truly appreciate all guest feedback as it provides inspiration to our team!

It would be a pleasure to welcome you and your family back to our resort in the near future.

Northallerton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

We selected this hotel after a visit to the local travel agent and being informed that the weather would be the same as Egypt. Unfortunately it wasn't as it was the end of the rainy season and boy can it rain.
On arrival at the hotel, we were in the room along with the luggage within 15 mins, must be a record. A quick run round the equipment within the room and then we were left to unpack. The room was 2251 which is overlooks the sports pool. A quick unpack and then for a meal. On arrival in the buffet restaurant we shown to a table and ordered drinks, Beer, wine or soft drinks only. A look at the server showed a superb selection of food and I doubt anybody would leave hungry. There was at least 2 large joints of meat, beef, pork etc , there was a good selection of tacos either ready made or plain allowing you to select the fillings. A good selection of fish dishes and small steaks(chicken, beef) and pasta dishes all were available Children had they own selection area for burgers chips etc. There was also a selection of salads, soups and puddings. This selection tended to be similar all the time and there was never a shortage of food.
Breakfast was what you would expect with the exception of the bacon which seemed to be streaky and crisp. Lunch could be obtained from several locations and ranged from 3 course meals to just burgers on the beach. There are a total of 5 alle cart restaurant, Italien, Mexican, Steak, Japanese and tropical(fish). Only tried the first 3 and they were all very good and served a selection of international branded drinks as did all the other bars
The room had 2 double beds, a well stocked fridge (restocked every 2 days), a coffee perculator, iron and board and a standard hair dryer, along with all the toiletries etc. Towels were change on request or every 2 days (we had four in the room) and bedding atleast twice weekly. The room was spotless and always left with an ample supply of fresh bottled water.
The beach and pool areas were all kept very clean and there was never a shortage of sun beds, loungers and shade. The pools never gets deeper than 5' 6" and both the sea and the pool are really easy to get into as they are both warm The areas are constantly been patrolled by bar staff looking after your drinks and nothing was too much trouble for them
For me the highlight had to be the jungle walk with the wide selection of wildish animals and birds. There was always something different to see or hear. The downside been that it also included lots of midges etc which kind of like people, I presume that we are they buffet!
The animation team never seem to stop working as there are always some events on for those who wish the take part but they never pressure you to take part. however everything they did seemed well supported.
To recap this hotel is one of the better hotels I have been in and apart from the weather (I will research this next time) I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to anyone and I would like to thank the hotel and staff for making it an enjoyable stay

Room Tip: We took our trusted kettle in the hope of getting a transformer. The later proved difficult however...
4 Thank Philip S
Dear Philip S,

Thank you for your lovely review regarding your recent visit to the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

Reviews like yours, outlining your satisfaction with our staff, amenities and ambience, are truly inspiring to our dedicated team.

We take great pride in providing memorable vacations, as it is our belief that satisfied guests are sure to return. Your nice comments regarding the variety of the food and the rooms are much appreciated as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal and assure you that we intend on exceeding your expectations even further.