5th trip in Riviera Maya but 1st in Summer (from June 28th to July 5th).
Previous trips: Puerto Aventuras, Dreams Riviera Cancun, Barcelo Colonial, Iberostar Paraiso Lindo.
Iberostar Quetzal has the best beach that we have seen in Riviera Maya, beautiful sand with no rocks, sea with no rocks, days with waves, other days calm.
Main pool is great but most of it is 5 feet + deep which may be an issue for people around 5 feet tall. But a large enough section is 4 1/2 feet deep.
We preferred the pool in the morning, the water was very hot in the afternoon, we preferred the cool water of the sea.
We always found chairs both at the pool and at the beach. There was always dry towels available.
Service was good in restaurants, theater, lobby bar, ice cream, reception. We did not go often to the bars to get our drinks. Most of the time, waitress were providing good and quick service.
Rooms are small, not a lot of space to walk. Beds were comfortable. Air conditioning was working very well. Shower was large, well working, always with sufficient hot water. Two issues: We were 2 adults and one teenager, we had asked in advance for 2 double beds, we were told that no room was available. We got a portable bed installed. The 2nd issue was the TV. It had sound but no image, after 3 calls at the reception, and one complaint in person, we finally got another TV one day later. But we continue to have cable signal issues for the whole week, we cannot tell why, but we had to unplug and replug the TV many times per day to get the signal and TV image back ! We lived with this because in vacation, we prefer do other things than spending our time trying to solve problems. We were in building 21, 2nd floor, nice location, quiet, close to pool & beach, with partial view on the sea. Room was clean, mini bar was OK.
Food was OK at the main buffet and at other buffets for lunch. We went to Japanese, Italian and Steak restaurants for dinner. There were OK. Disappointing, appetizers and deserts are not a la carte, they are the same as at the buffet. Show given by Japanese cook was very good, but the food was very salty with too much soya sauce in everything.
Drinks were OK.
Ice cream bar on the beach was great. It was great to see all these animals.
WiFi should be free in the lobby.
3 shows were good but 4 others were bad.
We brought insect repellent but never had to use it.
Had no issues with bugs, none in beds and none at the beach.
In order to play pool, you need to reserve a time, and you need to walk from the theater to the reception to get and return the balls and sticks, this is a 5 minute walk, but worst, you may have to wait 15 minutes at the reception before to get served. There must be a better way.
Playing ping-pong near the pool was much easier.
We were asked about 15 times if we wanted to try free scuba diving in the pool, sometimes by the same persons, insisting too much, repeating the same good reasons to try it even though, we were not interested.
Had rain one day, morning and lunch, and one night, the rest of the time, it was very beautiful sunny weather.
Many activities and entertainment.
Overall, we would return. Much more + than -
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Privileged situation directly on the beach of Playacar, around 3 km from the town of Playa del Carmen. A watersports and diving paradise. Sub- tropical mangrove swamp. Great gastronomical variety. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Traveltool, S.L.U., Holiday Gems, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Iberostar Quetzal Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Quetzal Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Iberostar Hotel Quetzal Playacar
- Iberostar Quetzal Playa Del Carmen
- Iberostar Quetzal Playacar Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen