“Underwhelmed”

Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
Ranked #45 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Considering the price paid for this hotel, I was less than delighted.

Service was slow, rude, and inconsiderate. We had to wait for a long time to get checked-in, buy WiFi (Yeah, that's not included in the resort fee, and it isn't cheap either!), check-out, get service for any issues at the hotel... I was here for a family wedding, and considering the number of people who came for the wedding and how much the hotel must have made off the wedding guests, they could have been significantly more accommodating and polite. They seated the families at two different tables at rehearsal dinner. They wouldn't even listen to me when I asked if there was a way to rearrange them such that we were together. The restaurant manager was just rude to me from the moment I approached him; barely even listened to my question before blowing me off. While, the wedding was beautiful, I don't think that the hotel was very organized about the whole thing. They made the the groom and groomsmen and all of the wedding guest wait outside in the hot sun for over half an hour while they went to get the bride and bridesmaids, who had similarly been waiting in the room for over half and hour. They were continually rude to one of the guests who is a bit darker skinned. ... The list goes on and on.

Also, there are no lifeguards in the pool. There was no power in the gym one morning. There is only AC in the rooms and a couple of the 'fine dining' restaurants.

In the end, we have great pictures from the ceremony and the wedding part was great - For everything else, I would have rather stayed in a hostel. I have stayed in luxury hotels. This isn't one - but maybe I expected too much from an 'all-inclusive resort.'

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
5  Thank TwoKidsOnAnAdventure
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of the General Management of IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal we would like to thank you for having taken the time to write your feedback about your stay.

We value all remarks from our guests about our customer service and the way we deliver our products to our visitors. We regret to hear the negative impression you got of our check-in process. We would like to mention that our Management has been working in the implementation of new software that will speed up the check in process.

Please allow us to add that our guests’ safety is one of our priorities, and we have two qualified life guards onsite, trained in first aid, and they are constantly monitoring the beach and pool area.

We would like to apologize about the inconvenience you encountered at the wedding dinner and we wish to mention that all our restaurants handles different sittings and since we program the reservations for our guests, we must have the tables ready and offer the personalized experience that is typical from an a la carte restaurant. Each a la carte restaurant has a set capacity for each sitting and for this reason we set up tables no larger than 12 people in order to allow the waiters to move and provide the best service. We are trying to improve this system so that our guests have a better experience. Thank you for that feedback.

As far as the wedding celebration goes, the weather in this region and at certain periods of the year is very hot; however, the wedding is planned in accordance to the bride and groom wishes, to create the best memory of this special occasion for them. We will, however, review this as guests' comfort is also very important.

Furthermore, we would like to mention that we are very proud to host guests from different cultures, languages and race at our resort and the exchange of so many different cultural information among our guests and staff creates a rich atmosphere at our resort and enhance everybody’s vacation and life experience.

We wish to offer you an apology for the areas and services of our resort that displeased you, and we hope to have the chance of hosting you in the near future for you to experience the real IBEROSTAR's hospitality.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed here from the 6th-20th July and had a brilliant time.

We were in room 2152, the balcony had a nice view (mainly of the beach of the hotel next door and a bit of the sea!) and the room had a huuuuge bed and massive shower. This block is the closest one to the beach and pool (without upgrading to sea-view) which is what we requested so that suited us - it's one of the furthest from the lobby and the main restaurant but a walk through the jungle every day is amazing! The Quetzal itself was very quiet, we had no noise from inside our block, however we did get a lot of noise from the hotel next doors disco/theater at night so if you like an early night block 21 probably isn't for you.. There's a fridge in the room which they fill up with beer, water and Coke/Sprite, they say this is restocked every two days but our maid, Mary (who was brilliant!), restocked it every day and left extra water on the side too - everything from the fridge is included in your all inclusive, as is room service.

The grounds are just stunning, you walk through the jungle to get between the pool/beach and the lobby and there's animals running round everywhere and monkeys in the trees above your head. The main restaurant overlooks a pond with swans in it and there's a flamingo pond nearby, parrots in the lobby, tortoise by the pool, iguanas everywhere.. if you like animals it's just perfect. I'd read a lot about mosquitoes being a problem here due to the jungle but honestly we didn't even see one over our two weeks.

The main pool is absolutely huge and a nice temperature. It's a little deep but there are a few shallower areas. There's also a separate adults-only pool with a pool bar in and an activity pool with basketball hoops, football goals etc. The entertainment team do run activities in the main pool too but it's all kept to one end so you can relax at the other. No problem getting sun loungers here.

The beach is lovely, white sand and clear water. The sea was a little all over the place during our stay, some days it was lovely and calm and others quite rough but it was generally fine to swim in. No problem getting sun loungers here either.. like every other hotel in the world you get the people getting up early to reserve them but we headed to the pool or beach after 11 most days and we never had any problems getting loungers. There's loads of palapas so you don't have much trouble getting some shade, you can rent parasols from the hotel too.

The area the hotel is in, Playacar, is lovely. It's a gated community with security and a lot of very posh looking houses.. you feel completely safe in there. There's a plaza about 10 minutes walk from the hotel with a Starbucks and quite a few shops, and 5th Avenue in Playa Del Carmen is about a 40 minute walk or 70 pesos for a taxi. In terms of proximity to the major excursions.. Tulum and Coba were about 1 hour and a half away and Chichen Itza is about 4 hours (obviously depending if you do this privately or pick people up along the way). You can catch ferries to various islands in Playa Del Carmen.

Food was good, we didn't try the specialty restaurants but there was Japanese, Mexican, Seafood, Italian, Steak.. we stuck to the buffet in the evenings and always found something different to try, food was generally hot and pretty fresh. There's a burger bar by the beach, an ice cream hut and they serve breakfast/lunch/dinner for long hours so you can pretty much get food any time of the day. We tried room service a couple of times which was good, turned up quickly and nice and hot! I'm not overly fussy with drinks but all the cocktails tasted good to me :)

Last but not least.. the staff were an absolute joy. The entertainment team obviously work so hard - there's no pressure to join in with the games but they always come round to speak to you at the beach or pool, i'm not one for hotel entertainment but I couldn't fault them at all. Our maid, Mary, did a brilliant job every day and always kept us nicely stocked up with plenty of water. The staff in the restaurants were all great and no matter who you walked past, whether it was someone from the entertainment team or somebody cleaning the paths, they ALWAYS said hello. Really can't fault the staff here because we didn't come across any who weren't 100% friendly.

My only tiny little complaint would be the lack of free wifi - they charge about 430 pesos a week for wifi, per device. Free wifi just seems to be a given in hotels nowadays so paying for it, especially paying a lot, just seems a little off. Though we did buy one week and it worked everywhere - room, pool, lobby, beach, and was really fast (probably because hardly anyone was on it!).

Overall we had a wonderful stay and I wouldn't hesitate to book here again if we return to Mexico, great hotel, great staff and beautiful location - couldn't ask for more :)

Room Tip: Block 21 is lovely if you're looking to be near the beach and pool but lots of noise from the ho...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kholex
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear guest,

First and foremost, we would like to express our gratitude for such detailed observations and for choosing our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

We are very excited to know that our Front Desk Team were able to fulfill your room request, and that you were very happy with your room and its amenities.

We highly value your praise about our beautiful pathways, tropical jungle and wildlife roaming freely at our grounds.

In regard to our cuisine, we are thrilled that you were so pleased with our extensive variety in the buffets, our snack bar, the ice cream stand on the beach, and our room service!

Our Entertainment Team “Star Friends”, work very hard to make sure that our guests enjoy their vacation to the fullest. Be sure that Mary will receive your kind words.

Last but not least, as per our WIFI service, please let us mention that thanks to our guests’ suggestions we recently introduced this service in all areas of the resort, and the Management has created the most accessible prices for our guests. In any case, your comments will be forwarded to our Management for their consideration.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you soon to our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

The Hotel was lovely, the staff in general very eager to please, with the exception of 1 waiter in the buffet restaurant but we spoke to the manager and after that there were supervisors in the restaurant every evening and service was fine. The Steak house was excellent and they even bought my Son another fillet steak when the waiter heard him say " I could eat that again" They were excellent. We were not impressed with the Italian restaurant, service was very slow and food mediocre but I guess it is a matter of choice, as food in the Buffet restaurant was good we did not use the other specialty restaurants.
The pool was fantastic and clean only concern was the depth of drop from the bottom step into the water which was about 5 foot deep.Also the steps were quite rough and snagged some swimwear. The pool was actually too warm the second week! The Beach was beautiful white sand and turquoise sea straight from a postcard. For us My Husband is 63 I am 59 the entertainment was a bit cheesy but family orientated and good for the children, It was too hot to sit in there for long being our only concern. Mini bar was a poor but we could get a big glass of Vodka or Bacardi to bring back to the room and enjoy with the coke from the fridge which was replaced daily. I would be happy to return here but NEVER EVER on a THOMAS COOK PLANE

Room Tip: we were in room 2509 which is on the ground floor due to mobility issues we had requested this we ha...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gill051
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear guest,

First of all, we highly appreciate your observations about our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Thank you for your compliments about our resort and staff. Furthermore, our team of cooks and the Chef will be very excited to know that you were satisfied with our a la carte Steak House restaurant and also with our wide selection in the buffets.

On the other hand, we are sorry to read that our a la carte Italian restaurant was not up to your expectations, our ingredients are always fresh. Our Executive Chef strives to please all the tastes of our worldwide clientele by offering a great variety of food. We will make sure that your opinion about the service and food reaches him and our Food & Beverage Manager.

We appreciate your remarks about our family oriented activities. Regarding your observations about the pool, we apologize for the discomfort about the depth and temperature. This year we are experiencing a specially hot summer and this affects the temperature of the water. We would also like to add that the steps are rough now so that we avoid accidents.

Thank you once again for you valuable feedback. We hope to host you soon at our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is a nice resort. It is larger than the Iberostar Cozumel, with more guests, but the main pool was never crowded. The beach is gorgeous (but no reef /no snorkeling). The main restaurant is approached via attractively-covered bridges, with adjacent waterfalls. The grounds retain numerous trees, and there were almost always howler monkeys present during some part of the day, and lots of agouti, as well as a friendly coatimundi.

There were four pools: children’s, adults-only pool-bar , sports pool, and a very large main pool. All of the normal Star Friends activities were available, plus a kids club. Dressel Divers’ dive shop is just off the beach.

The bars were always staffed and quite a bit quicker than at many resorts. The food was very good at all of the resort restaurants, and the staff was courteous and friendly.

The resort is located at Playacar, part of Playa del Carmen. The Paseo Xaman-Ha, in front of the resort has a bicycle route, a Starbucks Café, and a small tour agency that can typically get you a substantially better rate on excursions than can the travel representatives at the hotel.

I would certainly consider staying at this resort again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank pathfinndr

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your comments about your vacation experience at our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Your appreciation for our beautiful pathways with so much wildlife, our tropical atmosphere, pleasant pool areas and our hard working staff is a great honor to us.

Thank you for highlighting our cuisine. Our Executive Chef will be very pleased to know that you had a great experience at all our buffets and a la carte restaurants.

We will be very happy to welcome you back to our beautiful tropical resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We visited this hotel and this was our first time in Mexico,we stayed here for 2 weeks and had the best time ever.
ROOM
Our room was lovely and clean and the air con was perfect,we had a jungle view and got visited on a daily basis by the monkey,our fridge had a range of drinks but some times they ran low but we simply asked the maid if we could have some more and this was sorted.
BEACH
The beach is amazing and the views are fab
All the staff are so friendly and I couldn't do enough for you
Star friends entertainment were great always said hello an asked how we were doing with walking round the complex which I thought was lovely.
The beach Zumba and water aerobics are fab and it's such a great atmosphere here.
FOOD
There is such a wide range of food here as you could never get bored,I don't understand how anyone could complain about the food or the hotel.
There is 5 restaurant to choose from and we recommend the steakhouse and the Japanese
The show that's put on in the Japanese is great.
On the 2nd week of our holiday we arrived at the steak restaurant (which I highly recommend) and we were slightly early so sat outside on the sun loungers
We witnessed a American speaking man (hero) start shouting for help as a young girl was laid on the bottom of the pool,he shouted for emergency (in Spanish) quite a few times and no one seemed to come
A lady(holiday maker) started to help,eventually a lifeguard wandered over after about 16-10 mins and spent more time putting his gloves on than helping.
I believe the lifeguard didn't know what to do and was out his dept
The young girl (maybe 20 ish) was blue and not moving,holiday makers managed to get her out the pool and laid on the side,but no CPR was performed,I spoke to 2 young staff members (in Spanish) from the restaurant to call for an ambulance as really feared for the worst,eventually after maybe 20 mins plus a doctor came round and the girl was taken away.
It did shock me to think we could be anywhere in the world and if anything was to happen we were on out own,I felt so helpless and couldn't stop worrying about her all night,after witnessing this I have decided to enrol myself in some first aid training in case I was ever in that situation again as I felt totally helpless.
I get the feeling the hotel realised this and lifeguard checks was stepped up for the rest of our stay.
This was the only thing that damped our stay but we would defiantly go back as this place is fabulous and the staff are amazing they never stop working day and night.
All in all a great holiday and we are sad to be back home.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Iloveshoes12

Dear guest,

On behalf of the General Management of IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal, we would like to thank you for choosing our resort and for sharing your detailed comments. We feel much honored to have welcomed you for your first time in Mexico and to know that we were able to provide you with the best time ever for you.

Thank you for your praise about our comfortable rooms, cleanliness and its amenities. It is truly a privilege to receive the visit of the howler monkeys.

We appreciate your compliments about our friendly staff, especially our entertainment team “Star Friends”. We are very happy to know that you participated in some of their activities such as Zumba and Water Aerobics.

In regard to our cuisine, our Executive Chef and his team will be very excited to receive your compliments about our buffets and a la carte restaurants, especially the Steak House and Japanese restaurants. Our team of cooks work really hard in order to offer variety and quality of food to our worldwide guests. We are delighted to know that you had a wonderful gastronomic experience.

Lastly, about the incident at the pool, we understand your worries but let us clarify that our Life Guards are certified and trained on First Aid and depending on the situation, our doctor is summoned to offer professional help and act according to the gravity of the situation. The responsible departments were aware of the situation and please rest assured that everyone gathered efforts to solve it, but always aiming to ensure the rest of our guests do not panic. It does not seem that we conveyed that and for that reason this is being reviewed by Management, but we would like to reassure you that the safety of our guests is our highest priority.

Once again, we would like to thank you for your feedback and we hope to have another chance to host you at our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Best regards,

Reviewed 23 July 2014

The beach is gorgeous, the service was great. Loved the Mexican restaurant. We have traveled to Playa del Carmen many times and have stayed at Iberostar hotels before, this is our third Iberostar. If you're staying in the regular rooms it's priced well for what you get. On this trip we decided to go all out and got the oceanfront junior suite. It was pretty pricey and we were a bit let down by the room. It was no different than any other room we've stayed in, with the exception of the view. The bathroom had no a/c vent so it got extremely hot in there if you closed the door. Small bathroom. All in all, we like Iberostar hotels but recommend not staying in the lowest priced ones, the mid to higher grade have comfy mattresses. Also, the upgrade to ocean front in my opinion was not worth the money. We preferred the Iberostar that's a little farther north to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your stay and for your loyalty to IBEROSTAR.

We value your kind comments regarding our beautiful beach and excellent service, as well as our Mexican a la carte restaurant which offers traditional and delicious dishes.

However, we are sorry to read that our oceanfront Junior Suite did not meet your expectations. Be sure that your suggestions about the bathroom will be taken in consideration by our Management. Last but not least, let us mention that all of our mattresses have been replaced to softer, pillow top mattresses thanks to our guests’ suggestions and apart from this, our lovely guests can request a softener for the bed from our Concierge or Front Desk whenever needed.

We hope to welcome you again at any resort IBEROSTAR worldwide.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I just returned from my vacation to Playa del Carmen. We stayed in this hotel for 11 nights and had a wonderful trip. We stayed in a Standard double room with three adults. It was ok for us, but it is better with only two people in that room. We didn't upgrade to a slightly bigger Junior Suite with ocean view, because it would have been a lot more expensive for not really much more space and as it was so hot, we wouldn't have wanted to spend much time on the balcony to enjoy the ocean view anyway. W stayed in buliding 23 on the Quetzal side. It was a good location as it wasn't too far from the ppol and beach and also not too far from the restaurant. Like other guests in other buildings we didn't have any monkeys on our balcony.

The hotel is integrated into a little jungle, so we could see a lot of animals anytime we walked through the hotel area (turtles, monkeys, coaties, iguanas and a lot of squirrel-like animals which I don't know the name of). Sometimes they even came to the pool.

In July it was very, very hot and though it was rainy season we only had rain once for about 15 minutes. The weather was beautiful, but humidity was very high. The concept of the Hotel is that everything is built very openly meaing that there is no air-condition in the reception area or in the Restaurants. They have fand there, but it is still very hot there.
I would advise to take enough sunscreen with good protection (30+; I used 50 and still got sunburned) and insect Repellent (I used "Nobite" very frequently and only got 3 bites during my stay while Walking through the Hotel jungle during the day without any repellent). Both sunscreen and insect repellent can be bought there, but it is a lot more expensive than at home (at least in Germany it is). It was also a good idea to take an airbed from home. It is great to enjoy the sun on it in the water (outside the water it is hardly beareable though many People seem to have not a Problem with it). Airbeds etc. are very expensive at the Hotel and also in Playa del Carmen - about 15 $)

The beach and the ocean are very beautiful, the water is turqouise as I wouldn't have imagined. The ocean is also a little cooler than the pool wich feels kind of like a bathtub.
The pool is also beautiful and huge and there is an additional pool only for grown-ups and swim-up-bar and an additonal pool just for water games.
Though it isn't allowed sunbeds get reserved by guests very early at the pool as well as at the ocean, but we always found a sunbed (we never got up later than 8 or 9 though) and mostly prefered to lie at the pool as we didn't want the sand on our Skin all day long and the sunbeds at the pool are much more comfortable.

The food was ok. You could eat all day long at the buffet restaurants and they also have theme a la carte restaurants which you have to make a reservation for. We enjoyed the Steak house and the Japanese restaurant most.

What I really liked is that you got served drinks at the pool (even in the pool) and at the beach so that you dind't have to get up to get them yourself all the time (and because it is so hot, you should really drink a lot). Room Service is also included in the all-in.

We did the whlae shark tour which was truly awesome and I can oly advise anybody to take that tour. We were amidst about 150 whale sharks with our boat and could go into the water with them 3 times with our guide. It is an unforgettable experience. We booked it in Playa del Carmen at the Ecotours stand in the beginnig of 5th Avenue and payed 120$ (compared to 215? which it would have cost at our travel agenct in the hotel. We had People omm our boat who had payed between 180-225$) It is always much cheaper if you book tours outside the hotel (either at the Playacar mall which is only 5 minutes by foot or in PLaya del Carmen).
We also hired a taxi for a day to take us to Tulum and Coba and to the Grand Cenote. It cost 1800 Pesos. We were in Tulum at 8.30 which was good as it was't that crowded at that time, but the heat was almost unbearable there. We expected the worst for Coba (concerning the heat as it is set in the middle of a jungle) but when we arived there at about 1 o' clock it was really ok. Coba is also one of the few pyramids that can stll be climbed on.

We found 5th Avenue in Play del Carmen to be a really nice place to stroll along in the evening. The taxi has fixed Prices (70 Pesos to the beginning of the Avenue; 90 Pesos to any other place there). You can go shopping there, eat at Restaurants or sit in the open bars and there is also al ot of nightlife which we didn't really try out.

The hotel has wifi and it is very good, but you have to pay for it (about 40$ for a week)

Check Out time is at 12 o'clock. If you are picked up at the hotel later you can try to get a alte check out (which costs 10 $ for each additional hour). Unfortunately we couldn't get a late check out and had to use the bathroom behind the Lobby. It has only 2 showers and at around 3.15 pm there were a lot of peolpe who wanted to use it. It was freakin hot in there and when you came out into the lobby it wasnt much better as they only have fans there. We fled into the restrooms as there is aircon in there and got ready in there, but we still felt worde than before talkimg the shower because it was so hot ;-)

All in all I can really recommend this hotel

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank yvel33

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for choosing our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal for your vacation experience in the sunny Riviera Maya.

We are pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay at our resort and that you enjoyed your room location. Additionally, our tropical jungle and its fauna offer a different and unique holiday experience to our guests.

We are very happy to know that you were able to relax at our pool area with a refreshing drink while admiring the beautiful blue ocean is a great privilege we have in our hotel .

Regarding our gastronomy, we appreciate your kind words about our buffets and we are happy that you had the opportunity to try out our a la carte Steak House and Japanese restaurants as well.

We apologize if you felt uncomfortable about the heat and humidity, they are indeed particularly high at this time of the year and as you said, it is recommended that you use sunscreen.

Once again, thank you for your comments about your stay and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Best regards,