Having stayed now at three different Iberostar's in three years Ihave to say that from a grounds perspective this is quite the most brilliant hotel I have ever stayed in. You have to imagine two mirror image hotels with a zoo sandwiched between them. By a zoo I mean Monkeys, Peacocks, Giant Tortoises, large ratty looking animals, Hens, Koi Carp, Ducks, Geese, Flamingoes etc etc. If you are lucky as we were, you can sit on your balcony and watch the Monkeys feeding and sleeping in the tree-tops.
The food here is great, the buffet a little samey but always something new and anyone who claims they couldn't find something to eat must either be very fussy or unadventurous. We ate in all of the themed restaurants and all were excellent. Seen some criticisms of the Mexican Restaurant in previous reports but again I say, be a little footloose and try something you can't get in the buffet and you might be surprised.
As I said, having stayed at other Iberostar's the rooms didn't come as any surprise, same design, colours and facilities, mini-fridge, safe, TV etc etc. They appear a little dated but they are spotlessly clean and the maid service, ours was a man so not sure if maid is the correct term, was faultless.
The only slight downside for us is that the Star Friends really were the poorest we've met. Half of them didn't look interested and one of the few that was, Stephanie, was sacked by the boss, tall slim Belgian guy and his henchman, the fat limping Tunisian. Their shows were at best second-rate. It quickly dawned on us that if you decide to stay at an Iberostar you will be fed almost exactly the same re-cycled shows as in previous years so. In fact so much so in a couple of the shows we knew the words better than some of the cast.. So if you have stayed at an Iberostar before you know what to expect. I have mailed Iberostar advising them that they should be looking at upgrading the evening shows as I would say this is their only fault.
Overall this holiday was superb, the food was great, the pool is fantastic, the beach is clean and the sea cool and clear. The staff, Star Friends excepted were first class and the service in the bars and restaurants were impeccable.
If you get the chance, go to COCO BONGO'S it was one of the most enjoyable evenings I've spent in a long time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Privileged situation directly on the beach of Playacar, around 3 km from the town of Playa del Carmen. A watersports and diving paradise. Sub- tropical mangrove swamp. Great gastronomical variety. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Ebookers and Odigeo so you can book your Iberostar Quetzal Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Quetzal Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Iberostar Hotel Quetzal Playacar
- Iberostar Quetzal Playa Del Carmen
- Iberostar Quetzal Playacar Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen