“Superb - Star Friends apart” 5 of 5 bubbles

Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
Ranked #44 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Bexley, United Kingdom
“Superb - Star Friends apart”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

Having stayed now at three different Iberostar's in three years Ihave to say that from a grounds perspective this is quite the most brilliant hotel I have ever stayed in. You have to imagine two mirror image hotels with a zoo sandwiched between them. By a zoo I mean Monkeys, Peacocks, Giant Tortoises, large ratty looking animals, Hens, Koi Carp, Ducks, Geese, Flamingoes etc etc. If you are lucky as we were, you can sit on your balcony and watch the Monkeys feeding and sleeping in the tree-tops.
The food here is great, the buffet a little samey but always something new and anyone who claims they couldn't find something to eat must either be very fussy or unadventurous. We ate in all of the themed restaurants and all were excellent. Seen some criticisms of the Mexican Restaurant in previous reports but again I say, be a little footloose and try something you can't get in the buffet and you might be surprised.
As I said, having stayed at other Iberostar's the rooms didn't come as any surprise, same design, colours and facilities, mini-fridge, safe, TV etc etc. They appear a little dated but they are spotlessly clean and the maid service, ours was a man so not sure if maid is the correct term, was faultless.
The only slight downside for us is that the Star Friends really were the poorest we've met. Half of them didn't look interested and one of the few that was, Stephanie, was sacked by the boss, tall slim Belgian guy and his henchman, the fat limping Tunisian. Their shows were at best second-rate. It quickly dawned on us that if you decide to stay at an Iberostar you will be fed almost exactly the same re-cycled shows as in previous years so. In fact so much so in a couple of the shows we knew the words better than some of the cast.. So if you have stayed at an Iberostar before you know what to expect. I have mailed Iberostar advising them that they should be looking at upgrading the evening shows as I would say this is their only fault.
Overall this holiday was superb, the food was great, the pool is fantastic, the beach is clean and the sea cool and clear. The staff, Star Friends excepted were first class and the service in the bars and restaurants were impeccable.
If you get the chance, go to COCO BONGO'S it was one of the most enjoyable evenings I've spent in a long time.

5 Thank Noah_Bexley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2009

To start we got this vacation at a great deal due to concerns over the swine flu and traveled with 19 people, however this wasn't even close to any reported cases the staff. The staff were great, and the restaurants were great as well. Whenever you want something they will get it for you immediately, or the staff will before you even think of it. The only things I didn't like was that during the day there was plenty to due with pool, beach, and booked excursions which I was able to do straight through the hotel in the main lobby at a reasonable price (swim with dolphins, horseback riding, visit to Chitzhen Itza, and snorkeling), however at night there is really not much to do. What I mean is that each day they have one show that lasts for hours on varying things, and they are NOT VERY GOOD partly because there are too many kids around to conduct audiences for the mature audiences. Kids under 18 will probably be very very bored at night, there were probably six children in our party who fell into this category who were complaining every night because there was nothing to do, this includes a 17 year old who was not able to hang out at the clubs at night with his brothers and sister, and cousins who are over 18. This group was not able to go into either category and I wish the hotel would provide something for them, Lucy's kid's club did events that were for very young audiences (under 7). Also there is an actual jungle inside the hotel, where howler monkeys, peacocks, cuccobarrows, turtles, flamingoes and lot of animals roamed free which was amazing to be in. Overall I really enjoyed this vacation, and really was an all inclusive, I never needed to have money on me during my stay since everything was included. The only thing I ask is that you tip the staff, who are always hardworking, most are Mexican and speak little English, but they try their best to please. Please visit

2 Thank deanthedream17
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2009

Traveled to Iberostar based on TripAdvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. Two adults and 13- and 17-year old boys. Towards the front of the property, marble walkways meander through lovely jungle gardens with koi ponds and fountains. Towards the back are stone paths through thick jungle. Lots of animals and wildlife that are right there but somehow keep separate from the human population. We saw monkeys in the trees, Mexican agouti (like a large guinea pig), parrots, flamingo, peacocks, lizards, iguana. A toucan in a large cage, two large box turtles in a pen.

The pool is huge. Lots of lounge chairs on the beach. We never had a problem finding a place to hang out.

Food was very good, even though it was a buffet. Wait staff was friendly and quick to bring coffee or drinks and clear used plates. One thing, if you go there bring one set of casual dress-up clothes (khaki pants for men, pants or a sun dress for women) so that you can go to the specialty restaurants that are included in the all-inclusive price -- Japanese, Caribbean, Mexican. We had only shorts so we didn't meet the dress code. A nice touch: they keep the mini bar stocked and you don't pay extra for it. Beer, colas, bottled water, bottled fizzy water.

There is little difference between the Tucan and Quetzal sides. Tastefully decorated throughout. Rooms were cheerful and clean. We were in adjoining rooms, second floor in building 14, Tucan side. Our room faced inward, towards thick jungle; we did not even need to close the drapes for privacy. We could hear the entertainment from our room at night but it was not a problem.

High-speed internet access in the lobby and in the sides of the dining rooms closest to the lobby. Extra charge for access.

3 Thank Pam_On_The_Road
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

Overall this was a great family vacation. I traveled solo with my 14 and 11 year old kids. There are activities going on all day, but also quiet spots if you prefer, as we did.

The good stuff: The rooms were immaculate; the resort is beautifully laid out with a landscaped "jungle" with animals (monkeys, peacocks, flamingos, tortoises, fowl) and winding paths and the pool separating the two sides (Quetzal an Tucan). The staff is warm, friendly and accommodating; the beach and pool are beautiful; there are many activities to take advantage of. You can drink the water, frozen drinks and eat all fruits and vegetables at the resort without fear of illness - they really do use purified water. Do not, however, drink from the taps in your room; this water is not purified but they provide you with free bottled water in the room. Use the bottled water for brushing your teeth as well.

Criticisms: The beds really are hard as rocks (the mattresses seem find but they are on platform beds that are made of concrete) and the food was just OK. Also, there are no lifeguards.

Accommodations: We had a standard room. I was dissatisfied with our original room (located in building 25) - It was dark, on the first floor, with a shabby bathroom and right next to the jungle with no view of anything other than trees. I requested a room change and within a few hours was moved to a much nicer building (Building 21) at no extra cost. This building was much brighter and very close to the pool and beach. We had a nice balcony with a really beautiful view of the beach. What a difference between the 2 buildings. The room was very clean and definitely big enough for the 3 of us. It had a king bed and a little couch that they made up as a bed for one of my kids. I think, however, that it would have have felt much smaller if my husband had been along and would probably suggest a junior suite for a family with 2 adults. The maid service was excellent. We had a refrigerator that was stocked daily with soda, bottled water and beer and everyday we came back to these animals made from towels on our bed and flower petals strewn on the bed or as part of the towel-animals. It was really cute.

Beach: We are beach people and the beach is really beautiful. The white sand and turquoise water you are dreaming of. There is erosion and there are giant "sand whales" (giant burlap bags filled with sand to prevent further erosion). However, this really did not detract from the beauty or interfere with our enjoyment of the beach. You do have to be a bit careful though when the "whales" are covered by water, I did catch my foot under one. My understanding is that the water is generally rough but we did not find this. On most days it was very calm and on 2 days there were nice gentle waves to ride. We never had a problem finding chairs. There seemed to be many palapas for shade and you could get umbrellas from the towel guy. We preferred to stay in the sun and protect ourselves with lotion as the breezed kept it quite comfortable even in August. A word of warning - While there is a lifeguard chair, I never saw anyone in it, so you really do need to keep an eye on your kids.

Pool: The pool is huge and really nicely set up. It is shared by the Quetzal and Tucan, both really 2 sides of the same resort - and separates the two sides. It sort of winds around so there are many sections of this one gigantic bath-water warm pool. together. You can find quiet private sections or if you prefer more action, the main pool has one of those gradual entrances - this is where all of the activities take place. It was a bit too loud and rah-rah for our taste, lots of microphones with "Star Friends" leading activities, but lots of fun if that's what you like. There are activities in this area throughout the day - giant pool volleyball, water stretching, water aerobics, water polo... Again though, if this is not your thing, we never had difficulty finding chairs in a more secluded spot. There is also a separate adults only pool with a swim up bar and another 5.5 foot deep pool with basketball that the teenage boys seemed to really enjoy. Again... no lifeguards, so I was never really comfortable snoozing.

Activities: There are free activities throughout the day - at least 2 every 30 minutes. In addition to the pool activities noted above there are ping pong contests, Spanish lessons, dance classes, air soft gun tournaments, soccer tournaments, bike tours, yoga, stretching, archery, catamarans, wind surfing, 2 pool tables, diving demo in pool, to name a few. For extra money, you can paint pottery by the pool, get a henna tatoo, massage, have your hair braided, go parasailing, go on a snorkeling or diving trip or jetski. There are shows every night put on by the staff. We only saw the beginning of 2 shows - they seemed kind of hockey and required audience participation. Not our thing, but lots of folks seemed to really enjoy them and the theater was very nice. We were so tired by 9:30 that we usually just went up to our room to sleep after dinner!

Food: The food is OK but definitely not gourmet. The buffets are the same everyday and this gets pretty boring. I think most people find what they like and stick with it. We stayed for 7 nights and they guaranteed 3 restaurant reservations and this was all we were able to get. Then ambiance in the restaurants was very nice and the service attentive. The food may have been slightly better and at least there were some different things on the menu but not much better. Our best meal was at a Mexican Restaurant in Playa del Carmen. Delicious!

Overall, I think the value was excellent. We had a great time and I would definitely recommend this resort. The only real thing that would make me think twice about returning are the beds - they really are hard, but I'm a pillow-top person!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank JilliConnecticut
Perdido Key, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

We arrived and right away were able to get a refreshing drink from the lobby bar. They took out bags and showed us the way to our room. They had a couple channels in english, but not much. The only thing we watched was 2 and a half men! Not so approiate, but halarous! The star friends are so fun. They play all these fun games everyday, and they're all different. If you win, They give you a prize, such as a cd of the music they play, or a hat or tee-shirt! The night shows were very intertaining, and fun to go to! The food was very good, and the restorants were very good. y favorate was the asin restaront! It was fun to have the chefs cook and do fancy tricks right in front of you! Can'y wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

I'll be honest - we chose this resort mostly because we were able to get a fantastic price. The reviews looked good, so we went for it, but given the price I figured we would find a number of problems and were kind of bracing for it.

I'm happy to report that this was far from the case. Even from before we arrived we had a good experience, and overall this is one of the best family vacations we have had.

I'll start with the planning. We went through goiberostar.com, and Kellie Davis got us a great deal. Even better than the deal I would have had through Cheap Carribean, with a $100 credit! Better flight options too. I would definitely use those guys again.

This trip was going to include our family (me, my wife and 3 early teens) plus my parents. My mom doesn't do well with stairs these days, and I had heard they did not have elevators, so I wanted to ensure we not only had connecting rooms, but were also on the ground floor. I explained my situation (via email) to the hotel manager, and they were able to give us both. In addition, he reserved a wheelchair for my mother to use while there. Off to a good start.

Our trip included transfers through Lomas Travel. When we arrived, they were easy to spot because they wear very loud teal shirts. We were put on an air conditioned bus with another family and we were on our way quickly. We had to stop to drop off the other family, but it was quick.

Check in was fast, friendly and painless. I was surprised that they didn't take a credit card for incidentals, but then again how many incidentals would there be? We were also greeted with a cold drink, some kind of fruit concoction.

Our room was a short walk so we headed right over. Clean and neat room, with cheerful colors. Air conditioner had already been going and the room felt very comfortable. If I had to complain about anything on this trip though, it would be the room. Not that big, and for some reason there is no dresser to put your clothes. Bed was very hard too. But there is also a lot of positives - stocked fridge, safe in the room, large bathroom with very large shower, lots of channels on the TV (not that we were going to watch much). Also, the "couch" is more like a little bed, which worked out great for us.

The grounds in the center of the resort feels like a jungle, and the kids loved it. Saw monkeys first day! But also peacocks, and a variety of other animals.

I thought the beach was great. Some people complain about the "sand whales" but they didn't bother us a bit. In fact, the kids played on them all the time. There are a number of palapa's, but if you don't get there early most are already taken. Luckily, the towel station also provides umbrellas, so most days we just picked up umbrellas when we picked up our towels. Once there, we saw the roving waitress frequently, usually back to ask before we even finished our drink. There was a bar right next to the beach, and also an ice cream stand! Hmm, pina colada or capuccino ice cream. Decisions, decisions.

Another note about the beach. We walked as far north as we could and I must say that all in all in the beach in front of the Quetzal was better than anywhere else we saw on our walk. In some cases the beach is so badly eroded that some resorts had about 10 feet of beach, and most others had no shade. Compare this with the approx 60 feet of beach at the Quetzal, the plentiful palapa's, access to the bar and pool, etc etc.

The pool area is quite impressive. It's huge, with plenty of room. If you are the type that likes to swim laps, you will be in heaven. One pass across the pool is like 3 passes across a 50 meter lap pool. The only problem is that by afternoon the water in the pool gets very warm, almost too warm. It also feels much warmer by the pool than it does on the beach, mostly because there is a great breeze down on the beach.

Food was what I expected, but in some cases much better than expected. I liked that they put out guacamole, and I was usually grabbing a big plate of guac and chips after each meal. We ate each lunch at the restaurant down by the beach, where there is no dress code. They changed up the items on the main buffet, but you did often see the same items. We never had room to complain though. Also, you can get room service up until 11pm

We did attend the reservation restaurants - the Japanese place, Mexican and Steak House. Steak house was very good - not sure what spices they put on those steaks but they were delicious. The Japanese place was a bit disappointing, at least with the chef we had. He didn't do any of the goofy tricks that you usually see at these types of places, and which the kids love. In fact he didn't do anything except come over and cook. The next table was having fun though.

We did do one excursion, which was the dolphin trip to Delphinus. It was VERY expensive but the kids felt it was the highlight of the trip. What was most disappointing though is that after you spend all that money, they try to nail you for $25 PER PICTURE. We are big picture people but just couldn't bring ourselves to spend another hundred or so over what we already spent. In true Mexican form they offered to give us all the pics for $200, but that is still way too much.

A note about planning an excursion. We were told that Lomas travel (the company that did our transfer) would be a good place to get an excursion, especially since we booked with them. We checked out the dolphin excursion and intended to come back the next day. For giggles we decided to ask the other desk what they charged for the same trip, and I'm glad we did. Lomas neglected to tell us about a promotion going on where a child went free with a paying adult. We were about to pay hundreds more than we should have. Needless to say, we used the other place (Iberoservice I think it is called)

Speaking of pictures, we usually arrange to have a photo shoot done with the resort photographer, and during this trip we arranged one on the beach. I must say that this photographer was not very good. First off his equipment is nothing special - pretty much low end lenses that don't do much for the photo. I also didn't like his work - he takes too many close ups, and doesn't pay much attention to what is going on in the background. At least 10 of our shots had something in the background, like the parasail flying by. The good thing is that you don't have to pay for a shoot, just the pics. Here's a tip though - don't pay anywhere near the posted package price. The shots are $8 each, and their "package" is basically just the price multiplied by the number of shots. We talked them down by buying a lot of them.

Another tip - unless you have money to waste, don't buy from the vendors who show up at the resort. Or at least know that everything will be overpriced and you should bargain like crazy. A short walk down the road is a small mini-mall with better prices, and a short cab ride down to Playa del Carmen is even better. Here's a great example - at the resort they charge $95 to do a full head hair braiding. On "5th Ave" in Playa del Carmen my daughter had her whole head done for $30.

Saving the best for last - the Star Friends (entertainment staff) was really top notch. They ran games all day, and then run the shows at night, and even show up at the disco after that. I have no idea where they get the energy. By day 2 they knew our names and they were really great with the kids.

The nightly shows were much better than I expected. I've experienced plenty of resort shows and I know how bad they can be. But I can honestly say most of these were quite good, especially the ones that involve the audience. Be sure to attend the Miss Iberostar show. The audience participation in this one is unbelievable. I won't say any more because it will give it away. The theater is also much better than most.

We had a truly fantastic time and I would highly recommend this place for any family. The kids are already begging to go back.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Reactor1966
Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

Service, location and amenities were much better than expected. Our entire family had a great time and were left wanting for nothing. After reading some reviews, we were a bit sceptical yet, were pleasantly surprised by the staff, accommodations and yes, even the food and beverages. All of the staff were very kind and accommodating. We are a bit generous with tipping so, maybe that has a bit to do with some of the negative I have read but, cant really see that we would have been treated much differently. If you want a unique experience that gives you the feel of being in a remote location and true to the area, I would certainly recommend the Iberostar Quetzal. A+

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family