“Great Time at the Quetzal” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Iberostar Quetzal Playacar

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
Ranked #44 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Twin Cities
“Great Time at the Quetzal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

We traveled as a family of 9 last December for a Christmas vacation. We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend the Quetzal to all. The jungle-like setting is this resort's primary appeal.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank LeavingMinnesota

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

This hotel was just great, even more so as it combines with Iberostar Tucan hotel!
Superb room, very spacious, very clean.
Very, very friendly and helpfull staff.
That pool is so huge!!
Beach was also very nice! Lots of things to do there.
Food was pleny, good and had enough variation in it for me.
Lots of tastefull cocktails.

Yucatan area is also great with those Mayan Temples, swimming with dolphins....Just a fantastic holiday destination and the hotel defintly add to that!

• Stayed June 2006, travelled solo
2 Thank PatrickBuijs
Kansas City, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2009

I can't say enough positive things about this resort!

I decided to have my wedding here and Gabriella, our wedding coordinator, was superb!!! She was very responsive to all my questions and concerns prior to being in Mexico and was so attentive to all the details of my wedding day once I was there! She made me feel special and I never felt pressured to do anything I didn't want, and she never made me feel bad about wanting to do things differently than she did. I highly recommend this resort to anyone who wants to get married on the beach!

Regarding the wedding, dinners and rehearsal; I had 20 guests and the hotel did a very good job in putting almost all of us into the same building (21-it was excellent, close to the beach and pool) which made it easy for us to meet up and get ready for the wedding, dinners, pools and such. (*Note: the Quetzal lobby/shops/buffet were all closed because of low occupancy so the walk to the Tucan lobby, shops etc. was a little far from our building, but we ate most of our lunches at the snack bar by the pool..they had quite a bit of a selection, just smaller than the main buffet.) They set us all up for dinner at the Japanese Restaurant the night of the rehearsal, the food there was fantastic! It was so fun! Our wedding dinner was set up at the Mariamba Steakhouse (the food was decent, I recommend the Tenderloin) which was perfect because it was close to our rooms for those who wanted to change, close to the beach bar where our private cocktail party was set up and close to where our wedding pictures were being taken. One thing that was a little confusing, that I didn't realize until we were down there is that the rehearsal dinner reservation counted as one of the a la carte reservations for my guests...so be aware of that. The Guest Services also got us another reservation in for our entire group at the Italian Restaurant for our last night all together, however, I had to be put on the waiting list and I had to put up quite a fight for it. The taste and quality of the food overall was decent, I'm not very picky and I found something different I could eat every day. My husband is Extremely picky and couldn't stand the food, he also hadn't ever been to Mexico either so I think his expectations were a little too high. It isn't like our food back home!

The staff are all very friendly and seemed to always have a postitive attitude, I'm not sure how they do it! We had a good time with the bartenders, the Star Friends and the servers. The maids did a good job keeping the rooms tidy (the flower petals they put all over the beds get a little annoying after a couple of days though) and they kept the fridge well stocked, a couple dollars tip throughout the week never hurt. I had fun with my family and friends participating in water aerobics, the pool games, the scuba trial in the pool, beach volleyball and snorkeling. It adds so much more fun to the trip if you get involved in the activities and volunteer at the shows when you can!

Speaking of the shows, no, they aren't Las Vegas material, but it's something to look forward to each night and out of all the resort shows I've seen, the Tucan/Quetzal put on the best ones. I participated in Miss Iberostar and had a great time, we had participants from our group in dancing and other contests so it really made it fun!

Like in so many of the other reviews, there is a plaza shopping area about 10 min. walk from the hotel. One thing that I wasn't expecting was how safe this walk was. It's in the hotel district of Playa del Carmen, so the street is kept up really nice and most everyone walking around is either staying or working at a nearby resort. We also went in to Playa del Carmen (50 pesos+ tip or $5.00 U.S-which includes tip) one night. For anyone wanting to purchase souveniers, Playa is the place to do it, I got ripped off on my T-shirts, shot glasses etc, when I bought most of my things at the plaza.

Overall, we had an outstanding trip and all of my guests complimented me on my choice of hotel. I chose it for the price (not too high, nor too low) and for the location. There weren't many college kids wanting to party hard and there weren't many children roaming everywhere either.The beach was beautiful despite the sand whales and the color of the water is like nowhere in the States! (Another note: be prepared for women to be topless on the beach. It's technically not allowed, but they still do it.)

I was so sad to leave and can't wait to visit another Iberostar hotel!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ebbychic
whiltshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2009

just returned from our hoilday and miss waking up to the sounds of the monkeys and animals going about there business .this really was a lovely relaxed way to start your day ,you could take the jungle trail to breakfast or just walk down the paths the monkeys just play up the trees mind you if you get to near to the babys the big male soons let you know with an almighty roar truely magical. the hotel has set itself among the environment ,and compaired to the other hotels we sore it really has thought about the area its in ,although there is only air con in your rooms and in the a la carte resterants ,every where is so open you get to see every thing going on while you are eating or enjoying a drink. we was surpose to be in the quetzal part but as numbers where so low thay put everyone in the tucan side there is no differance in the rooms or the resterants or services but to me the quetzal side was prettier so if you do go to either side have a walk round the complete site because there is just so much to see .we went to cozamal for the day easy enough to do on your own ,shopping was also easy there is the plaza 10mins walk we took a taxi 50 pesos and playa del carmen also 50 pesos which is well worth going to have a look round we loved just walking down 5th avenue noone bothered you it was great .8 of us went my two sisters my twin brother his partner who is also my best friend my two children,my daughter is 22 my son is 19 myself and my husband ,and there was things for all of us we went to the world famous coco bongo the show was ok but it did work out an expence evening ,unless your a real clubber then i wouldnt bother only my daughter and son really enjoyed it .we also went on the captain hook evening now that was brilliant ,and was for all ages thay work so hard to make sure eveyone has a great time young old single married and the food was by far the best i have ever had on a outing if you go to mexico then this was the one trip i would say have a go our bellys ache with laughter all 8 of us. my brother and his partner went on the 4 day mayan trip and thay enjoyed that .we went on a day trip to tulum and coba it was so hot if you go take lots of water and a fan i got a little man on a bike to follow our guide at coba it cost me 100 pesos and was well worth it i just wish thay had these little men at tulum as well .3 of our party went on the swimming with whalesharks and said it was the best experience of there lives the guides are really good and they had a great day .all in all it was a really great hoilday and i will be using iberostar again its the first time i have every thought that , the hotel was great the staff amazing with out being creepy the iberostar friends work so hard with everyone and thay put on great shows.in the clubs and main bars you can get any drink you want not just local drink ,the mini bars in your room are filled up every other day ,the room service is free ,alright it wasnt a la carte stuff but it was nice my two kids got room service most days when thay got back from the beach so that thay could just get showered changed and down the club to watch the show then go to the disco on site which was open till 3am although there wasnt many single people in the hotel thay still had a great time and would go there again .last but not least is the beach wonderful clear cool water the sand bags are not as unsightly as people have said and it really is only a short walk there was a disabled man staying while we was there and every day we saw the iberostar friends help him and his family down to the beach as it was all sunloungers thay took him a chair and then helped them back up when thay where ready noone can ask for more than that can thay unfortunatley the only down side was the pool although it was clean the water was far to hot and unhealthy some days it was hotter than bath water i think maybe iberostar should invest in a water cooling system for the pool .

3 Thank rumkid
county durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2009

stayed 22nd july to 6th august 2009, our group was my husband and I (in our early 40's), our friends and their 16 year old daughter.

We all loved everything about this place and our friends have already booked to go back next year.

we stayed in block 22 on the quetzal side of the resort.

Rooms, very roomy and immaculately clean. the beds are hard as the matteress rests on a concrete plinth but I didnt mind this as I like a firm bed. Air-con and ceiling fan was a massive hit.

Grounds - all I can say is amazing, beautiful stome paths that wind from the beach to the reception area past all the apartment blocks and it took us ages to walk anywhere because we stopped every few steps to look at all the wild life. we saw everything from peacocks to the local guinea pig type animals and even had a monkey sat on our balcony one afternoon.

the reception area of both the quetzal and tucan sides are beautiful with loads and loads of seating areas to relax.

food - lovely, we tried every speciality restaurant and the buffets both in the reception area on a morning and evening and the buffet around the pool area. plenty of choice from burgers and chips to traditional mexican fare. The mexican coffee with rum or tequilla was a lovely treat at the end of a meal. the staff in all the food places are wonderful and very helpful.

Pool is enourmous and cool on a morning but it warms up on an afternoon. plenty of steps to sit on around the pool. loads of sunbeds and shelters. it was very hot to sit around the pool as there is not much of a breeze. try the free scuba session in the pool.

Beach, acres and acres of brilliant white sands, loads of sunshelters and if these are all taken then you can get umbrellas from the towel booth near the pool. The sea is wonderfully cool and so blue. the beach has huge sandwhales to stop the erosion and we took breadbuns from the buffet and snorkelled around these, the fish come and take the bread out of your hands. loads of free water sports to do on the beach. there is a lovely cool breeze blowing most of the time on the beach and I found it more comfortable than the heat around the pool.

staff - everyone from the reception staff to the groundsmen are wonderfully helpful and always greet you with a happy Hola when every you meet them.

Playacar is a lovely 10 minute stroll from te resort and has a lovely choice of shops selling things from trinkets to silver jewellery. there is also a Santander bank and a starbucks coffee shop.

Playa del carmen is a 10 minute taxi ride away that costs $5. it is an emourmous town and has hundreds and hundreds of shops, bars and restaurants. this place sells everything from maracas to designer clothes. the restaurants range from mexican to chinese to burgerking and McD's. the shop staff do try and entice you to go into the stores but a polite no thankyou does the job and they dont hassle you at all.

the starfriends team work very hard both during the day playing games in the pool and on the beach and on a night in the theatre. the themes of the evening shows is varied if a little cheesy.

there are a few shops in the resort that sell a wide range of medicines and I found that the local mozie spray called OFF worked better than the Tropical Formula that I took with me. The mozzies made a bee-line for me and I did bet quite badly bitten. but others in our party didnt so I must just taste nice to them.

we went on 2 trips - a half day to Tulum, which was beautiful but very very hot, take your beach stuff as you have an hour or so on the beach after visiting the ruins. We also went on a catamaran trip that was brilliant. both trips were well worth the cost. we booked them via the Iberostate rep rather than via the thomas cook rep and it was cheaper for exactly the same trips.

I would go back to this resort in the blink of an eye.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
5 Thank carole-kenny
Bexley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

Having stayed now at three different Iberostar's in three years Ihave to say that from a grounds perspective this is quite the most brilliant hotel I have ever stayed in. You have to imagine two mirror image hotels with a zoo sandwiched between them. By a zoo I mean Monkeys, Peacocks, Giant Tortoises, large ratty looking animals, Hens, Koi Carp, Ducks, Geese, Flamingoes etc etc. If you are lucky as we were, you can sit on your balcony and watch the Monkeys feeding and sleeping in the tree-tops.
The food here is great, the buffet a little samey but always something new and anyone who claims they couldn't find something to eat must either be very fussy or unadventurous. We ate in all of the themed restaurants and all were excellent. Seen some criticisms of the Mexican Restaurant in previous reports but again I say, be a little footloose and try something you can't get in the buffet and you might be surprised.
As I said, having stayed at other Iberostar's the rooms didn't come as any surprise, same design, colours and facilities, mini-fridge, safe, TV etc etc. They appear a little dated but they are spotlessly clean and the maid service, ours was a man so not sure if maid is the correct term, was faultless.
The only slight downside for us is that the Star Friends really were the poorest we've met. Half of them didn't look interested and one of the few that was, Stephanie, was sacked by the boss, tall slim Belgian guy and his henchman, the fat limping Tunisian. Their shows were at best second-rate. It quickly dawned on us that if you decide to stay at an Iberostar you will be fed almost exactly the same re-cycled shows as in previous years so. In fact so much so in a couple of the shows we knew the words better than some of the cast.. So if you have stayed at an Iberostar before you know what to expect. I have mailed Iberostar advising them that they should be looking at upgrading the evening shows as I would say this is their only fault.
Overall this holiday was superb, the food was great, the pool is fantastic, the beach is clean and the sea cool and clear. The staff, Star Friends excepted were first class and the service in the bars and restaurants were impeccable.
If you get the chance, go to COCO BONGO'S it was one of the most enjoyable evenings I've spent in a long time.

5 Thank Noah_Bexley
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2009

To start we got this vacation at a great deal due to concerns over the swine flu and traveled with 19 people, however this wasn't even close to any reported cases the staff. The staff were great, and the restaurants were great as well. Whenever you want something they will get it for you immediately, or the staff will before you even think of it. The only things I didn't like was that during the day there was plenty to due with pool, beach, and booked excursions which I was able to do straight through the hotel in the main lobby at a reasonable price (swim with dolphins, horseback riding, visit to Chitzhen Itza, and snorkeling), however at night there is really not much to do. What I mean is that each day they have one show that lasts for hours on varying things, and they are NOT VERY GOOD partly because there are too many kids around to conduct audiences for the mature audiences. Kids under 18 will probably be very very bored at night, there were probably six children in our party who fell into this category who were complaining every night because there was nothing to do, this includes a 17 year old who was not able to hang out at the clubs at night with his brothers and sister, and cousins who are over 18. This group was not able to go into either category and I wish the hotel would provide something for them, Lucy's kid's club did events that were for very young audiences (under 7). Also there is an actual jungle inside the hotel, where howler monkeys, peacocks, cuccobarrows, turtles, flamingoes and lot of animals roamed free which was amazing to be in. Overall I really enjoyed this vacation, and really was an all inclusive, I never needed to have money on me during my stay since everything was included. The only thing I ask is that you tip the staff, who are always hardworking, most are Mexican and speak little English, but they try their best to please. Please visit

2 Thank deanthedream17