“Great place...bad food and awful wine!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #18 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“Great place...bad food and awful wine!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

Beautiful resort, amazing rooms which were kept spotless throughout the week, beautiful beach and pool area, 5-star service!! However, we bought the "all inclusive" and the food was 2 star at its best (and best was the morning buffet). The wine which came with the "all inclusive" was not drinkable (if you like wine). You could buy a bottle of Kendall Jackson for a $50 additional charge...really?? One of the bell-hops went out on the local ecomomy and bought me a couple bottles of Wente for about $15 each...that is why the service was amazing! The food at the "Chefs Plate" was top notch...however, that was an $80 additional fee. So, if you are a "foodie" and like wine and non-watered down margaritas, I would skip the "all inclusive" and eat on the economy (which included a lot of good Mexican food for a reasonable price) and/or pay for the food at the Chef's Plate...!!! The golf course that the resort is associated with was fantastic...$50 for 18 holes, cart and all you can eat and drink on the course. They made food to order and brought it out to you...course was in great shape and very little waiting! All in all, wonderful vacation spot for a reasonable price!

Room Tip: If you pay extra, you can get an amazing suite with a steam shower, private "bed" type cab...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank FoodieDDB
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear Jbl123

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your review on TripAdvisor. Daily we give our best effort to create great experiences.

Thank you for your good comments about our staff, The Playacar Family, been pleasant and helpful is our main strength. Our Wine menu includes more than forty different wines from all over the world, including, Spain, Argentina, France, Mexico, Italy…which are consider one of the best wines all over the world. I feel sorry you didn’t enjoy our option and I am sure that our Sommelier could recommend you something you really liked. I invite you to do it at your next visit. I will personally recommend you some great Spanish wines from Rivera de Duero, my home.

The training of our staff is a very important part of days

Please, feel free to contact me for any further comments. Hasta Pronto

Playacar Palace G.M.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,087)
  • Korean first
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Playacar Palace during the first week of March along with our 2 kids (3 & 8 yrs of age). We chose this hotel for its location (right on Playa Del Carmen's 5th avenue) and because of its size. We were looking for a small, quiet resort, where children would be welcomed. Although there weren't many activities for the kids, this was fine with us. They kept themselves occupied just by playing in the pool or in the sand. They did go to the kids' club twice and said they had fun (activities included making a pinata, drawing or playing video games). The club is right next to the pool which is nice if you are an insecure mom like me who wants to keep a distant eye on your kids at all times while still enjoying some time on your own.

The food ranged from good to excellent; we particularly enjoyed the Asian restaurant and the teppanyaki table. No reservation needed and we never had to wait for a table. The service was great at all the restaurants, as well as by the pool and beach. Despite the resort being small, it never felt crowded and it was easy to find loungers.

We spent some of our credits on wine and also purchased a photo session (ended up paying the 11% tax which cost us about 40$ for 5 pictures). I went to the beauty salon with my daughter and we each got a manicure/pedicure. Unfortunately, I waited until day 4 to make an appoinment for a spa treatment and they were booked out, so do not delay or you will be disappointed.

Overall, we really liked this hotel and would recommend it without hesitation.

2 Thank Izzy35
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Dear Izzy35

Please, feel free to contact me at your next visit in order to make all the arrangements about your room and special details and our best wishes to Montreal

Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

We stayed here the first week in March with a group of family and friends. Our oldest daughter celebrated her 21st birthday on our 2nd nite. We were all treated to a special dinner at the Italian Restaurant which was topped off with a fabulous birthday cake. We had THE MOST fabulous room - Room 100. It's perfect for a family of 4 and walks right out to a fantastic large patio that has a large lounger along with a patio table and chairs. We felt like royalty! The staff are simply wonderful. Marina at poolside is adorable and loves making everyone feel special! Pedo in the Italian Restaurant is excellent. You will not be disappointed. Like other reviews point out, the hotel is aging. It's in a prime location so hopefully it will be "kept up" so families can enjoy this resot for many years to come. In closing, I would like to personally thank Mr. David Rubio. I seen David several times throughout my vacation - he was making made to order pancakes one morning - sweeping the lobby the next - constantly working! David promissed our family vacation would be everthing we wanted it to be... and he was right! As long as David R. is at Playacar - I'll be back. David - I would follow you anywhere! Keep in touch!

Lisa P, (Lance's little sister)

Room Tip: If you can score a room on 1st floor - 100 is the bomb! 102-110 are pretty awesome too!
3 Thank LDP6
Dear Lisa

I want to thank you for your kind words on TRIPADVISOR and in person. Was an honor to have you and your entire family at Playacar Palace, your warm home away from home.

Pedro, Marin, myself and all the Playacar Family members are waiting for your next visit, and you know you can contact me for questions or request for your next visit as you did it before.

Our best wishes for you and your family from Mexico

St-PACÔME
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

second time in a row at the playa car.what a great staff,Marco,David,Miguel,Ledicia,Donicio,Leonardo,all the professionals.Great foods,resort very clean,room very nise and confortable.nothing to say bad.I'm bored already.
A little deception for the golfers,the Playacar Golf club was not included in the golf package and the carts are not included too at the Moon Place and the Riviera Cancun.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marco P
Dear Marco

I would like to thank you for selecting Playacar Palace as your destination on your most recent vacation to Mexico and Riviera Maya.

Perla, Dionisio, Miguel, David...and all the Playacar Family appreciate your comments and the time to write it..

We are looking forward to welcome you back at Playacar Palace, and don't forget to write me before your arrival to make all the arrangements for an unforgetable stay

drubio@palaceresorts.com
stl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

We just stayed at the Playacar Palace for a week and loved it. There is so much that they do right that I feel badly pointing out room for improvement. With all the activity at the hotel- upkeep must be a constant goal. There needs to be more umbrellas (sun is extremely strong) and people to help with them. The beach needs to be cleaned for litter everyday. Bottle caps, cigarette butts and general trash can accumulate. As for the size of the property-it is perfect. Not too big! The quality of the food was consistent and the new spa was nice. There are a lot of open areas that could be utilized a little better. All in all, they do a great job and I would stay there again.

Dear lscstl

I would like to thank you for choose Playacar Palace as your destination on your most recent vacation to Mexico and Riviera Maya. I also want to thank you for the time to write your experience.

Massimiliano, our head chef appreciate your comments about the food. We have commitment with all our guest who travel miles and miles to enjoy the beach and because of that, daily different members of the staff clean it, housekeeper, administration, activities, human resources...

We are looking forward to welcome you back at Playacar Palace, and please, don't forget to write me before your arrival to make all the arrangements

Hasta Pronto!

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

My new husband and I held our destination wedding at the Playacar Palace. It was simply amazing! The location (near 5th Ave, and the Cozumel ferry), amenities, event coordination and execution, and staff were all stellar! Originally we didn't intend to have a "real" wedding, mostly due to cost. The Palace changed our minds. In the planning stages I worked primarily with Dulce on details. She was very helpful, knowledgeable, and patient (especially when I asked for the same information numerous different times) Once there, the event was coordinated by Wilma. She was also fantastic, thorough, and conspicuously present to ensure all went well at all times. The amount of work and cost for the caliber of event we received was nothing compared to what would have been necessary domestically. We had roughly 50+ people to come share in our celebration. The hotel provided a number of different deals based on attendance (measured in room nights), so we were able to have a rehearsal dinner, wedding ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception all complimentary. We spent our budget on photography, a few decorations (above what they provide as compliments) an upgraded cake (not quite like the picture we had requested, but a valiant effort) and the reception dance floor and music system (our own iPod mix, and whatever friends had on their phones). We definitely didn't need a DJ! These things were provided by hotel recommended vendors. All worked out wonderfully. Our event food (at all events) was better than what was provided in the hotel restaurants. This is not to say the all inclusive options weren't good. They were, and via the reports of my friends that do the all-inclusive thing often, it was better than most. The spa was great, with many options. Although, it could be hard to get an appointment on the spot. Nonetheless, it was well worth the wait. I was even told that if you sit through a 1.5 hr. pitch you can even get another $250 that can all be used at the spa. During my stay I had a pedicure (they do need more color options), hydrotherapy (everyone gets this with massage type services), a 60 min massage, complimentary 25 min massage, and body scrub. Most of this was obtained with resort credits, leaving only taxes to pay. Our room was great, Concierge level. Room layout and size are all roughly the same. The level, from what I can tell, reflects the view and in room amenities (espresso coffee, bottomless liquor, whirlpool tub, etc.). Our wedding package, with our size of group, included our stay at the Concierge level for a week FOR FREE (minus tip, etc). We're waiting on the reimbursement, but the catch is that you have to book everyone through the same source. If through the hotel, the hotel reimburses. If through a travel agent (our option) you have to check with the travel company. We weren't aware of this distinction which was the singular hiccup. After a little sorting this should be resolved. It was this piece that allowed us to have a killer time, and spend our money on things we really wanted. The entire premise of a destination wedding requires a couple to be comfortable shifting wedding costs to guests, but for about $4000 we lived it up, and made amazing memories with people who loved us enough to travel far and spend a chunk of change. The Palace isn't the cheapest option on the Playa del Carmen strip, but it was far from the most expensive. The balance was perfect. Our guests had an amazing time and are still talking about it! The cherry on top may have been the promptly delivered cash of warm towels for all of us who jumped into the pool at the end of the reception! We can't have been the first crew to do this, but at all times the Palace made us feel special! Thanks for everything!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Hilary W
Dear Hilary,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor and thank you for choosing us in such a special day for every couple and family as your wedding day. All the Playacar Family feel glad of been part of your life for a week that you and you group will always remember. We consider you already part of our family so we hope to see you again soon, for your first anniversary, the first baby or both!

Greetings to Vancouver and please, feel free to contact me for any questions or request for your next visit.

Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

Resort itself was pretty nice and the service was above normal. Showed a few signs of getting tired. Needed some fresh paint here and there. We had an ant problem one night which the hotel promptly sprayed for. They were full and couldnt move rooms immediately. They promised to move us the next day (multiple times) and never did. The restaurants and food were good, but a bit disorganized. The buffet had cook to order breakfast and the meat for lunch. When it comes to lunch/dinner, it would have been nice for them to cook several burgers/steaks at a time. They knew the demand was there, but since they cooked each one as it was ordered it caused long lines. Overall a nice place. Beautiful beach and convenient to shopping.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear Bhutchinson

All the Playacar Family truly appreciates your comments about our service, and I want to thank you for the time to write your review on Trip advisor. Every comment we take it in a very constructive way as same as yours, to improve our service daily.

We hope to receive you back soon to confirn that your feedback is taking in considaration

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,911 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,538 reviews

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!