“AMAZING TIME!”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #28 of 216 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My husband and I were celebrating our 14th wedding anniversary. I am 47 and he is 56 so we are adults. we booked the Governors Suite and were very happy, I would HIGHLY recommend spending the few extra $$'s for this suite, as we did see a regular room. The service was impeccable. We had most of our breakfasts delivered as room service, way easier than the morning rush at the buffet, lunches at the buffet or pool side snack bar were fantastic and not as crowded as breakfast. We ate dinner the first night using the buffet, the second night we dined at the Italian Restaurant, the food is freshly prepared, and delicious. the following night we dined at the Asain, Momonohana ... Wow!!!! So yummy we went back the next night which was our Actual anniversary and they sang a silly song to the tune of happy birthday called hoochy coochy all night long, it was hysterical! The next night we did the romantic dinner on the beach using our room credits, that too was wonderful, and then we returned to Momonohana where the staff asked if they could make us a special, off the menu, dinner. that was an easy YES and we are happy we did it, it was amazing! the beach here has to be the nicest beachwear e have ever been to, we have been to moon palace, Mayan palace, Bermuda! Florida, California ... The incline was very minimal, the sand super soft and CLEAN! We were on the senior Frog side of the resort and it was no issue at all, we heard nothing coming from the place. I would definitely come back here again, the pool was beautiful, the pool service was quick and attentive. the shows are silly, but it's entertaining, just don't expect Broadway. Our week here was delightfully relaxing.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Heather W
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Heather W,

I would like to thank you for share your experience with us. I am very glad to know that you enjoyed the facilities, food and specially the service provided by our Staff who makes always their best to make your experience more enjoyable.

Thank your once again for your preference and hope to see you again in Playacar Palace. The entire Playacar Family thank you for your review

Best regards, Hasta Pronto

Playacar Palace G.M.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,717)

Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

We arrived January 19th and are saddened to say we are leaving today. From the beautiful rooms, delicious food to the wonderful staff, it was truly an amazing vacation and we will definitely be coming back in the future! From the time we checked in till we checked out we felt like this was home and were treated like VIP! We were never hassled to upgrade, nor asked to participate in timeshares, and the resort credits were a great bonus to our trip! Not one complaint do we have about this resort.

Thank you Playacar Palace for this wonderful experience!

The Carles

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Saambee

Dear Saambee

Thank you for your kind review on TRIPADVISOR. The entire Playacar Family truly appreciates it.

We really hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Overall, my children, spouse and I enjoyed our 6 night stay. This was our 7th trip to Mexico. We have previously stayed at Iberostar Tucan, Barcelo Maya Tropical, Catalonia Riveria Maya, Catalonia Maroma, Secrets Capri, Grand Palladium Kantenah and The Beach Tulum.

ROOMS: We stayed in an ocean front room on the 4th floor. The room was clean but a bit worn. The bed was very comfortable. The refrigerator worked well (very cold) and was always fully stocked with beer, water and soda. Good maid service, though we found numerous tiny insects in the room on our day of arrival. The only major complaint was the lack of a balcony. I would estimate that 90% of the rooms have balconies. We booked a balcony room but were told none were available??? When we complained, the front desk manager told us we did have a balcony, a French balcony??? Apparently, my sliding window in my room was a balcony (maybe in France)??? I told the manager I would like a Mexican balcony like my previous 6 stays in Mexico. Long story short, we did not get the balcony we paid for.

BUFFET: A little disappointing because of the lack of variety, though probably a little above average regarding quality and cleanliness. Breakfast was always fine since we usually had fresh omelets or eggs from the omelet station.

RESTAURANTS: Enjoyed the Italian restaurant. I would say it is the best Mexican all inclusive restaurant we have experienced. Wine drinkers will also appreciate the good and affordable wine list (if you use your resort credits). The Asian restaurant was decent, though below average compared to other Mexican resort experiences. Service was generally good at both restaurants.

BARS/DRINKS: Good bar service and alcohol is not watered down like many other Mexican all-inclusives we have been to. Wine and champagne is also good throughout the resort.

SHOWS: The theater is very small. Found the few shows we did see to be mostly disappointing, especially compared to the larger Mexican resorts we have been to.

SPA: We were impressed by the Spa. The actual massage was above average. The spa facilities were very nice. The spa services are overpriced if you don’t use your resort credits.

BEACH: Nice wide beach with white sand, good for long walks. The water clarity just south of the resort was superior compared to directly in front of the resort. No options for snorkeling in the immediate area.

GROUNDS: Clean and well kept. Mosquitoes were not a problem.

OVERALL: We really enjoyed the small size of this resort. Defiantly one of the better Mexican resorts. Be sure to take the ferry to Cozumel and spent the day at Cozumel Palace.
We did find Playacar Palace to be a bit expensive compared to other resorts we have been to but still a fair value. The staff worked hard and was always very friendly. Don’t expect perfect and you will enjoy your stay.

2  Thank vazzzz

Dear Vazzzz

On behalf of Playacar Palace Resorts, I would like to thank you for gave us the opportunity to host you on your seventh visit to Mexico. Furthermore, I want to thank you for taking the time to share yours comments with us about your experience here. Your comments will make us better from today.

I just would like to be with the information about the balcony. Playacar Palace does not confirm balconies or floor on its reservation. These are consider a request given under availability.

We are looking forward to welcome you back at Playacar Palace

Reviewed 28 January 2014

This is a great resort and they take very good care of you. We enjoyed our time by the pool and always had a fresh drink. Food was great and our favorite waiter Deoncio took very good care of us. We stayed for 6 nights and my only complaint was that to have a room with beach access we could not have a king bed. Very clean resort with helpful staff.

We will be back!

Room Tip: Upgrade your room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Shaunn M

Thank you for your kind review on TRIPADVISOR. Dionisio, and the entire Playacar Family truly appreciates it. I will personally tell Dionisio about your comment

We really hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed at Playacar Palace in Playa del Carmen for 3 nights in January 2014. My husband and 11 month old daughter were very comfortable at this hotel.
We enjoyed free wi-fi, a beautiful location, awesome food/beverage, outstanding service and a lovely, clean and spacious room.
The room and bathroom were very clean and maintaned well. We did not have a tub to bathe our baby in, but we got creative and used the jacuzzi for that. The portable crib that was provided for her was something we opted not to use. It was filthy and did not have proper bedding, so we just had the baby sleep with us in our King bed which was fine for us, but may not be desireable for some.
The staff took a genuine interest and care in our daughter. They made sure she was well taken care of and we had everything we needed for her. They all were very happy to have her and made us feel very welcome.
The location of the hotel was very close to everything we wanted to see. We enjoyed transportation to and from the airport with Loma Travel. The shuttle had more than enough space for 2 suitcases, carry on luggage, a stroller, and easily accomodated our car seat and car seat base that we brought from home.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to return. Clean, convenient, AMAZING staff, comfortable for familes with small children.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 217 which was handicap accessible. It was not a big deal for us, but thought it wa...
3  Thank AleciaW744

Dear AleciaW744

On behalf of Playacar Palace Resorts, I would like to thank you for gave us the opportunity to host you on probably, your first visit of your baby to Mexico. Furthermore, I want to thank you for taking the time to share yours comments with us about your experience here. I would like to say that you are now part of the Palace Resorts family, the three of you and the little one!

We are looking forward to welcome you back at Playacar Palace

Reviewed 27 January 2014

First off, I've been coming to Playa del Carmen for 20 years and have stayed in several hotels in the Riviera Maya area. That being said, know what you are looking for in your vacation/holiday. The Playacar Palace is the resort for you if you are looking for a great family resort on or near 5th Avenue. The resort itself is well kept despite its age; the staff is meticulously cleaning. As for the comments about insects, you're in the jungle people. I am no fan of insects or reptiles, but know that man built over the jungle in this area so we need to thank the hotel for doing the best they can but be mindful of mother nature.

Check-in was relatively easy. We arrived close to 3 hours before official check-in and the staff
was as accommodating as they could be. There is a time-share proposal but it was the most
NON-PUSHY discussion we had ever had and really appreciated that the philosophy communicated by Cristina, the staff person assigned to "welcome" us, is that they want us to return under whatever format is most comfortable for us.

Our room was nice, with modern decor. Our bed was very comfortable. Maid service was meticulous every day. The minibar was restocked every day. All of the staff that we encountered
were friendly and engaged. Please tip for services. Even the person who is getting you coffee at the buffet deserves a tip. We saw many instances where patrons were not tipping and were disappointed.

There were nightly programs/shows, but we did not partake. However, I wanted to provide this information to folks who might be wondering about it. There was a casino night, aquatic show and a Mexican dance show. There were activities throughout the day by the pool too. The overall aura of the activities was fun and "chill.". Nothing was over the top, which was just our
speed and I think catered to the diverse crowd.

The food at the buffet was very good---more diverse than many all inclusives that I've stayed before --- think quinoa with salmon, traditional mexican dishes, fresh juices and burgers. I also appreciated that they would switch out the food often to avoid a dish sitting out for too long. Celeste was awesome at making made to order eggs, omelettes and waffles in the morning. Porofino was our very attentive waiter almost every day.

The resort credits are another great value. People need to stop complaining about not being able to use all of the credits on the spa---you still get a free 50 minute massage out of it people! The other credits are great too and quite honestly, you won't find this type of value at other hotels unless you agree to losing hours on timeshare sales pitches!

The beach on which the hotel sits is also great...mostly white sand which is why a lot of folks are not taking up chairs by the pool!

So if you are looking for a great value of a family friendly resort, the Playacar Palace is your best option!

One suggestion would be for better lighting for the pedestrian trail that leads to 5th Avenue. It is still quite dark at night despite the existing lighting. I also think that perhaps serving some local fruit like mangoes would be great, even as an afternoon treat by the pool!

Thank you to the Playacar Palace team for a great stay! We will see you again next year!

My only suggestion

3  Thank sharkzilla

Dear Sharkzilla

We truly appreciate your review, was lovely to receive you at Playacar Palace for your holidays!.
Our top priority is to offer an exceptional service to each of our guest and it is very satisfying to read that this was your case.

Christina, Porfirio, Celeste and all the Playacar Family feel proud and happy to see this review, and make it possible.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again very soon! Fell free to contact me for your next stay.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

This was our first visit to PlayaCar Palace..... We were not impressed except for some of there staff who went above and beyond. We booked a room with a king bed and balcony... well that's what we thought and they fooled us. We even paid more money from what we thought but that was not true. When we got there no king bed rooms were available. They said they were putting us in a room with 2 queens. Cool we will take that and we can still sleep together. So we were skipping and smiling and super stocked to get to our room. You know finally 4nights and 5 days alone with NO kids!! Got to the room #305 and it had 2 double beds and NO balcony. :( we were supper bummed out. We complained and nothing was done. We went higher up and complained and nothing done. They said we would have to pay $75.00 more each night for a King bed. WHAT!!!! We paid more already for the King. We would have had NO PROBLEM paying more for a guaranteed king bed when we booked the room prior to the vacation. When we got there we could not afford to up grade a room for that much more because of our budget. We put money into other things. They did not care one bit. I don't know but I have worked in the customer service field for well over 20 years now. Never in my life would a company I worked for let something like this happen without offering something. My suggestion to PlayaCar Palace is if your customers are NOT happy offer to make up for it. Try to make them happy!!! I know we are NOT your Diamond, or so on regulars here. But you never know we might have been there to become that. An I'm sorry this has happened and lets give you a couple of hours in our spa to make up for it, or some more credits....SOMETHING, ANYTHING...even a sorry. You made us feel like just another person.

So for future couples going....which I don't recommend. Its not an all couples resorts and you are not promised a certain size bed or room. You can not actually use all your credits for the things that you want to do. If you are not rich or bought into "there" Diamond Elite club which they push and try to sell you this for 90 freaking minutes of your time LOST. They really don't care to much about you. Look at other resorts before booking at this one. I don't hold a grudge and yes im over it and it is what it is. But I will not go back to Palace resort. I will book somewhere else.

Room Tip: Really can't help out here because we didn't get what we wanted in our room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank April T
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Mr. Thornton,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We will take your feedback into consideration and we apologize for not being able to completely satisfy you during your visit with us.

I would like to enlighten that Palace Resorts does not guarantee the kind of bed in the room, for that reason we do not charge any difference in price for a king bed versus double bed on a Superior Deluxe Room. These is an extract of the reservation

ARRIVAL: JAN14 DEPARTURE: JAN14 NIGHTS: 04
ROOM TYPE: DB ROOMS: 1
BLOCK: Sup Dlx Partial Ocv

According to the information written , our front desk proposes you to upgrade to a Concierge Level Room, this category offers king beds in all their rooms. As long as your category does not confirm king of bed, our intention was to satisfy your need.

At your disposal,