“Great service with exceptional staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #18 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Great service with exceptional staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I have visited similar, but larger all-inclusive resorts. I still maintain the amenities and overall quality of Playacar Palace may not be as extravagant as other 5 Star resorts, if that is the main attraction for you. The exceptional service makes up for it. I want to thank Marco Vasquez, and Israel in the pool bar. Ivan, Leonardo, and Mateo also gave such friendly, impeccable service. I also want to thank Javier iand Antonio in the lobby bar...such great guys who made us have fun every night!
I also thought Tomas was fantastic in the Luna bar. All servers in any restaurant format were more than helpful and took care of us.
Great wedding destination...intimate and keeps your guests close. Happy Days, D&S!
-Aaron from Minnesota

• Stayed February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear AaronTrnka

Thank you for your review on TRIPADVISOR , we really hope to see you back soon

Playacar Palace G.M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,068)
  • Korean first
Shelby Township
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

We just spent 9 days at the Playacar Palace with our family of 4 and friends. The staff is exceptional and the resort is pristine. Our friends are members and we were their guests, along with another couple. We were treated with graciousness like none other. Anything we wanted was available for the asking. If you read through my entire post, you'll see what I mean!

My husband loves the fact that they have top shelf (if you ask) liquor and excellent food. There are two restaurants and the buffet. I heard they are in the process of constructing another grill restaurant. We had Italian a few times, with Antonio as our waiter, making sure we were completely satisfied. If you go Italian, plan on the "dining experience" and leave a good 1-2 hours for your meal. We went to the hibachi grill twice, once with Victor and again with Manuel as the chef. Both shows were excellent, as was the food. Manuel changed up the show a little, as we had been there once already. Later in the week Raul was our waiter in the Asian dining area, and provided us with such an array of appetizers that only a few of us had room left for the main course! One night we had a special dinner in the Zen garden, with our host waiter being Efran. He and the three other servers were spectacular, providing cocktails to start, pairing wines with each course, and everything was not only presented with elegance and class, the meal was delicious from the salad, to the soup, to the filet and lobster. Special plates were made for those that requested something other than what they had prepared for us. The setting in the Zen garden was relaxing and peaceful. This is a new area that was not there when we visited 7 years ago (and not typically a dining area).

My son and I used the workout room a few times. That looks out onto the Zen garden, or if you prefer to watch TV while on the treadmills or elliptical machines that's an option too. There is a weight machine in the middle, free weights and an exercise ball/mat to use as well. It's nice to have that option, although I ended up slacking there and taking long walks on the beach instead!

Also new (for us) is the spa. My husband and I each received a 25 minute back massage in the spa as part of our deal for the week. Later in the week my daughter and I went for a "couples massage" because she is under 18. My husband and son went together for the same reason. While it would have been nice to do that with my husband, I appreciate the resort's policy to protect the teens (minors) and themselves. Alexandra was my massage therapist on both occasions, and she was exceptional. I love a good deep tissue massage, and she found all the right spots! Don't be afraid to ask for more pressure (or less, if you are sunburned)! As I said, all you have to do is ask! There are large, plush chaise lounge chairs that you relax in prior to and following your massage. Allow extra time to use the hydrotherapy pool, the heated stone lounge chairs and the sauna. The hydrotherapy area is open to guests without having to get a massage. There are also showers, lockers to store your belongings with slip proof/massaging sandals and a robe to use during your visit.

In the evening we would meet at the Lobby Bar in a large spacious area with comfortable seating. Antonio and Javier provided spectacular service as well as the female waitress, but I can't remember her name. On occasion there was a pianist. One night we had salsa lessons. It was a great meeting/hang out area in the evening.

Days were mostly spent in the pool or on the beach. Poolside Leonardo, Roman and Nora kept our glasses full and within a day knew everyone's beverage of choice. The wait staff was always very attentive. The chefs walk around the pool mid day with a special treat, or on one occasion two large red snappers that were the catch of the day and cooked into some sort of dish to be served later on. Most days we just ordered snacks off the poolside menu for lunch. The stone fired pizza was delicious as were the chicken wings!

It took my teens a few days to get involved with the entertainment staff, but eventually I dragged my daughter to do water aerobics with me and my son enjoyed playing the beach volleyball games. For those that just liked to lay back in the sun, there were unobtrusive daily "quiz" type games, bingo, Spanish lessons, and other activities to do pool side. Caesar did a fine job as head of entertainment, I thought that Ivan was very interactive with the guests, and my daughter said Luis was her favorite of the entertainment staff. They really gauge the level of activity on the clientele. There were things to do if you chose to, but they weren't pushy about it.

We spent last February at the Cozumel Palace. The guests seemed to be a bit younger on average over there last year. Their staff was extremely energetic and really got the kids involved from day one. We even stopped back there this year to say hello to Danny, Josue, Gabriel and Roger, all of whom remembered us from last year. :) That made my daughter's day!

Playacar Palace is near the main strip and there is plenty to do and see around town. We booked an ATV /cenote swimming tour that we loved. Don't miss the cenotes if you are a nature lover! We also went to Cozumel and dove for a day with Scuba with Alison. Alison is from California and we had our kids certified with her last year. We wouldn't trust anyone else with them! She and another dive master, Orlando took us on dives where we saw lobster, crabs, seahorses, rays, a shark and my son counted 9 turtles, not to mention countless fish and other sea life. She has a great captain, Carlos, and only takes small groups.

The one thing I wasn't crazy about was the resort credits they gave you. We didn't want to use them for Tulum or the water park, and we swam with dolphins a few years ago. We did use them for the spa, and got a few extra to use at the spa for going to listen to their sales pitch. You still need to pay 16% tax on the services you use. They can be used in the gift shop, but only if you spend $100, then $40 in resort credits can be applied. (Hmmm...so spend $60 to use $40?) You can use them on tequilla or skin care to bring home...but again, you will have to pay the tax on those things. There is also a $400 limit to using them in the spa. Personally, I would have used them ALL in the spa, but we left without using many of them. (I wasn't about to pay $60 in taxes on skin care that I might or might not use) Also, you can use them for a photo session, but not to purchase any of the professional photos (which are beautiful, by the way!) But be ready to pay for the pictures. Really, the resort $$ was the only thing I wasn't gung ho over, but you can use them or not...the choice is yours.

The rooms are stocked with Chi shampoo and conditioner (if you run out they will try to give you another brand, but ask and you can get more Chi). They have hairdryers and straighteners, robes, safety boxes, comfy beds and pillows, Jacuzzis in the room, fully stocked bar in the room (we didn't even touch ours!), wifi, 24 hour room service (and the few times we called for coffee or to restock the fridge, they were rapido fast!)

Would I recommend the Playacar Palace? Without hesitation! Many of the guests there are repeat visitors. Everyone seemed to know everyone and many stayed each year for 2 (or more- jealous!!!) weeks! That is a true testament to the service and level of relaxation you get when you go to the Playacar. Many thanks our friends for inviting us, and to the staff for your exceptional hospitality during our stay! We look forward to returning in the future!

2 Thank Erika T
Dear Ericka T

I want to thank you for such a long review and for your kind words on TRIPADVISOR. Was an honor to have you and your entire group at Playacar Palace, your warm home away from home.

We apreciantte your good comments about our restaurants. Recently our team become bigger and better with a new chef with directly from Asia with experience in Japan, China Tahiland, who, we are sure, will become "MOMONOHANA" and experience more than a restaurant. He will be the head chef for a new project of Thai Food at the Thai Garden in the evenings

All the Playacar Family members are waiting for your next visit, and you know you can contact me for questions or request for your next visit as you did it before.

Our best wishes for you and your family from Mexico

Demarest, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

We just returned from Playacar Palace after spending 10 fabulous days there. Everyone, and I mean everyone, could not have been more accommodating. The Spa staff is extremely welcoming so special thank yous to Cesar and Gibran. Wonderful massages by Maria and Virginia and great manicures and pedicures from Susanna and Nayarit.
Nora did a terrific job serving drink and food on the beach - not an easy job!
A very special thank you to Mara Martinez of Public Relations who makes us feel like family each time we visit and always goes out of her way to make our vacation memorable. Can't wait for our next trip to Playacar Palace.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Rhonda F

I want to thank you for your review on TRIPADVISOR. The details are the most important in our business and they make the difference. All of us know that and we work hard to control everything, looking for perfection.

I also appreciate your preference with Palace Resorts.

Mara, Cesar, Adriana, Susana, Nayarit and the entire Playacar Family members are waiting for your next visit, and you know you can contact me for questions or request for your next visit as you did it before.

Our best wishes for you and your family from Mexico to Halifax

Shelby, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

We recently stayed 9 days at the awesome resort. Myself, my wife and 2 teenage children could not have been treated better. The food is top notch, especially for an all inclusive. The rooms and entire facility are clean and well kept. They are always cleaning.

I don't want to write a long drawn out review.

If you are thinking of going...do it. And you will go back, again and again.

The staff is what really puts this place "over the top". They will do just about anything for you. If you speak to them in a way that you would like to spoken to and let them know you appreciate their service you will be taken care of like a King! The general manager is visible and always smiling and available to speak with. It's no wonder that by his example he is able to employ such a great staff. Some of the staff that I would also like to recognize...pool waitstaff, LEONARDO and NORA, they are always there asking if you need something. EFFREN in the waitstaff/restaurant...he does not know how to say "no." Also JAVIER in the lobby bar, he remembered us every day by name and knew what our favorite drinks were after just the first time.

If you like massages, you must try the spa. It's new, beautiful and again...you get top notch treatment.

We really felt like we were on vacation and can't wait to return. I cannot think of anything we were not happy with. At least for our family this place is just perfect! THANK YOU!

Room Tip: We were on 4th floor full ocean view, it was awesome !
Dear timmyt44

I want to thank you for your kind words on TRIPADVISOR and in person. Was an honor to have you and your entire family at Playacar Palace, your warm home away from home.

Leonardo, Nora, Effren, Javier all the Playacar Family members are waiting for your next visit, and you know you can contact me for questions or request for your next visit as you did it before.

Our best wishes for you and your family from Mexico

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Just returned from a vacation with 60 people from my office. This is our 3rd trip to The Playacar Palace in Playa del Carmen. It's gets better every time we go. From check in to check out - the experience is fabulous. The rooms are spotless, the restaurants are great. Roman was so friendly and helpful around the pool. He's a great guy! Victor in the Japanese restaurant was our waiter. Twice. Once at the regular tables and then at the hibachi. He is fabulous! Food in all the restaurants were great. The grill around the pool serving burgers is perfect! Burgers were really good! I love the size of the resort. It's the perfect size. We've stayed at larger resorts in the past but they are too large and we never meet up with the people we come with. Playacar Palace is the best! We'll be back for sure! The location so close to 5th Avenue with all the shops and restaurants is ideal. No need to take a cab anywhere!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an Ocean View. Even a partial view is great. First floor rooms ocean view open...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear LoveMexico2011,

Thank you for your comment son TRIPADVISOR.

Please, remember that Playacar will always be your warm home away from home, and feel free to contact me for questions or requests at your next visit

Our best wishes to Milwaukee

Playacar Palace G.M.
Sanborn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Excellent service bartenders, waiter and waitress. They were awesome with their kindness and made you feel like family. Bartenders were Javier & Angel. Waitress - Perla in lobby bar & Roman waiter at poolside & beach area. Can't say enough. We have been coming here for several years now and just love it here and this is one of the several reasons why we keep coming back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you, thank you thank you Connie K

Said that, It was an honor to receive you at Playacar Palace. On behalf of Playacar Palace Family, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share yours comments with us about your experience here. Our main goal is for each of our guests to have a memorable stay.

Perla, Roman, Javier, Angel and that makes Playacar Palace posible, wake up everyday to create magical and unforgettable moments for all our guests and I thank you again for sharing your comments with us.

Please feel free to contact me for your next visit

Playacar Palace G.M.
Ransomville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

This place is the best! The "entire" staff is amazing. They will do everything in there power to assist you, wait on you whatever! Can't say enough about the grounds and the people! Rooms are great-we have stayed on various floors throughout the years and I don't think there is a "bad" room in the place. The Italian Restaurant is the best (my opinion) you can have great Italian and great steaks too! You are a stones throw away from the walk of 5th Ave to the Ferry boat to Cozumel. Cant beat that! To me, you never feel like you are "confined" to the resort. You can stay put at the resort or mozy on out-don't need to take a 20 min cab ride-anywhere! Its there! If you want to venture out to experience any activities like Tulum or Explor -they are only a short cab ride away-which is nice you are not traveling far to a "new adventure". I see comments regarding the "sand" suites-just spoke w/ a gal who occupied the suite and at first, she was not really sure of how she liked it..but after a few days she said she loved it! She didn't have to track through the lobby etc. right from the beach to her room. The resort is not that big there is "plenty" of room on the beach for everyone! The only down fall (for me) is we have been visiting the resort for years and the nightly entertainment is becoming "old" we were hoping to see the hypnotist show (was new show) , but unfortunately it was not on the schedule during our stay. Wish they had some snorkel gear for guests to use and maybe some water sport activities-ie: catamaran-as I see it is offered by other resorts. Well, those are my comments! I would recommend this resort - you won't find better service -its wonderful...if it wasn't we wouldn't continue to return with our family! We also feel very safe and secure!

Room Tip: I have never experienced a "bad room" in the place! Yeah, the south end is a little quie...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Irene M
You know that Playacar Palace is your home, we will be honored to receive you anytime!

Playacar Palace GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,821 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,049 reviews

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!