My husband and I just returned from our third visit to Playacar Palace (Feb 20 – 28.) As with past visits at this resort we found it to be beautiful & spotlessly clean. Always with great food and wine selections, maybe not as many different restaurant options as some of their larger resorts, but the quality of food is terrific. As with most of the other reviewers, we find the people who work there, from the wait staff to the housekeeping people, are wonderful. Very nice and polite and for the most part willing to accommodate any request. The beach is outstanding with plenty of chaise lounges to relax (maybe a few more umbrellas, so bring lots of sunscreen).
Our only issue is that last year we became Palace Resort members and after this year’s trip, we probably should have thought twice about our decision. It’s just that we didn’t feel like the membership afforded us anything more than non-members. Although the room we had last year overlooked the noisy little alley in the back where the dumpster and recycling bins are kept, it was partial ocean view. This year, after requesting an upper level room overlooking any part of the pool/beach area when we originally booked the trip, we got room 235, with a view of the roof of the pool bar, complete with scaffolding obstructing the limited ocean view. (They were painting). Since the resort was at capacity with numerous weddings and corporate conferences, we could not switch rooms. We were put on a list to be notified when an upper level room was available. (I think we’re still on the list!) I understand that not all room requests can be honored, but it is a little frustrating, after investing several thousand dollars to become members, to see those folks there to attend one of the many weddings and/or company retreats, which now seem to be the priority with this resort, be given premium upper level rooms over member requests. What is the advantage of being a member?
My advice is to forgo the 2 hour sales pitch and hang out at the beach; if you book through most vacation web sites you will probably get the same rate or better.
Again, outside of the room frustration, everything else was outstanding.
Many thanks to Nora, Sandra, Marta and Leonardo at the pool, Angel and Ana at Luna, Javiar at the Lobby bar, Ana at the spa, and of course future hip-hop recording artist, Antonio at the Italian restaurant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playacar Palace, a trendy beachfront resort located steps away from Playa del Carmen's famous 5th Avenue and the Cozumel Ferry Dock. Our all-inclusive, luxury resort features 201 appointed rooms, 3 restaurants and 4 bars. This resort is considered the perfect spot to relax during the day and enjoy the nightlife and charms of "Playa" at night. Playacar Palace is perfect for families, couples, and group getaways. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TravelUp, Odigeo, Travelbag, Hotels.com and Holiday Gems so you can book your Playacar Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playacar Palace Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Playacar Palace Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen
- Playacar Palace Resort