“Beautiful beach, stupendous service”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #21 of 210 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Beautiful beach, stupendous service”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Location, location, location! The beach is beautiful, and the resort is within walking distance of Playacar and the ferry to Cozumel. Service, service, service! The people are lovely, and they enjoy working for the Palace. We asked repeatedly about their backgrounds, their families, their careers. It speaks volumes about the Palace Resorts that their employees want to be there. As one lady said, "It is not all about the money. The Palace wants us to be better people."

Room Tip: Higher level rooms have a better view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Debbie W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,122)
  • Korean first
Mattawan, Michigan
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We love Palace Resorts. Most of the time we stay at the Moon Palace Golf and Spa in Cancun, but this time our friends wanted to try another resort. So we decided to try the Playacar Palace. I will have to say I was a little hesitant. This resort is much smaller than the Moon and only has three restaurants. However, I am glad we gave it a try.

Yes the resort is small, but we had a wonderful time. It is a beautiful resort. The beach is fantastic. My wife and I would take long walks along the beach in the afternoon. The water was clean and refreshing for an afternoon swim. The resort is clean and the service is wonderful. A nice thing about the resort being small is that it does not take any time to go from your room to the pool, or beach, or restaurants, or the spa.

We ended up staying in a governors suite. It was beautiful. When you walk into the room you have a seating area with a TV that leads to a balcony. The balcony had a small table with two chairs. Great for coffee and reading in the morning.On the other side of the wall is the king size bed and bath area. It was plenty of room for the two of us and for friends to come by in the evening. The maids did a wonderful job cleaning the room. In the evening there were always flower peddles on the bed, mints on the pillow and towels made into some type of animal.

Even though there were only three restaurants, we never grew tired of the food selection. The buffet always had something different. The Habichi was fun and had great food. But we loved the Italian the best (men - make sure you have long pants). Every restaurant had delicious food.

The service at Playacar was some of the best. Everyone was pleasant and very willing to help in any way they could. They always greeted you with a smile and ended with "my pleasure". The first time we went to the buffet, Francisco greeted us and introduced himself. Every time after that he greeted us with a hand shake and knew our names. Dionicio was a very pleasant waiter. He did a fantastic job. Every morning he knew what we wanted in our coffee (we loved the tequila cream). Every afternoon he remembered what we liked to drink. Even the cook at breakfast greeted me with a smiled and remembered I liked my eggs over easy.

The spa was beautiful. I liked the idea of being able to use the hot tub with my wife. I would recommend the couples relaxing message. It was one of the best messages I have ever had. The girl that gave me my message found knots under my knots. It was great!

The location of the resort is ideal. Close to 5th Avenue and close to the ferry to Cozumel. We went to the Cozumel Palace for a day to see what that was like. With our Palace bracelet, we had full use of the Cozumel Resort, pool, food, drinks, and snorkeling.

Over all we had a great vacation. We will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where you can sit on the balcony. To get a seat by the pool, you have to get up earl...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank damiller96
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Having read a lot of somewhat 'whiny' reviews for this resort, I felt it was important to break down what Playacar Palace REALLY excels at, and who they are best suited to.

THE STRENGTHS

STAFF - As you've probably already read in most reviews, the staff are exceptional. Friendly, attentive without swarming you, and always happy to serve. They appreciate guests' friendliness, respect and are very grateful for any gratuities you see fit to reward them with.

My husband and I traveled to Playacar with our 14 month old, and anyone who has ever traveled with an infant knows that often, the vacation starts with some level of anxiety about how the resort will cater to your child's needs. Don't worry. This resort is fantastic for younger travelers. It pays to email ahead to confirm a crib (actually a 'Pack n' Play' playpen that worked just fine). Staff are very accommodating of toddlers and my daughter subsequently had the trip of her life.

FOOD - Always tricky, since every person has his/her own criteria as to what makes food outstanding. I've lived on 3 continents and traveled to countless countries and I've got to say - this food (particularly in light of the all-inclusive aspect) is amazing. Both N. American and local dishes were fresh, tasty and beautifully presented, regardless of the restaurant. It also goes without saying that the more authentic you go, the better tasting the dishes are. Skip the french fries and chicken fingers and try all the Mexican food!

Stand-outs: Seafood grilled to order (calamari and fish tacos were sublime), seafood appetizers and grouper at the Italian restaurant, grilled rib eye at the Restaurant del Mar and Italian restaurant, crunch maki, playcar maki at Momo Japanese restaurant, banana cake and any cake or custard with chocolate.

LOCATION: As close to Playa del Carmen as you can get while still enjoying an immaculate beach. Playcar Palace is located adjacent to the Cozumel pier and ferry and steps away from Fifth Avenue, the main restaurant and retail stretch. It's a lovely spot.

BEACH: The beach and lounge chairs there more than make up for the smaller size of pool and limited chairs around it. I realize sand can be annoying, especially when it's so fine and perhaps that's why other reviewers preferred the pool setting, but this beach is AH.MAZ.ING and should not be missed. Service is prompt and Berenice was a gem. Use the beach as your staging ground and hop over to the pool when you feel like a less sandy and salty swim.

SPA - Unbelievable. Truly a game changer. I'm a spa junkie and this spa just makes all others look like they're run by kids. There is a reason why you are only allowed to use up to $300 of your HUGE resort credit for the spa. Otherwise, I would have never left. Massages and facials are specialties - skip manis/pedis in favour of the longer, more elaborate services. A MUST is the hydrotherapy 'circuit' that is complimentary with every booking. Go as many times as you can. I almost don't want to spoil this by writing too much about it. Just go.

RESORT CREDIT - A tricky thing, and often more of a headache than it should be. There are MANY terms and conditions that you have to be careful you fully understand before committing. First and foremost, you will be paying a 16% fee on everything purchased with credit.

PROS: Coba (ruins) was spectacular, guide was great and lunch was tasty. Well worth it.
Wine upgrades are generally very high quality and well worth the 16% fee - try the Chianti or Argentinian Cab Sauvignon.

THINK ABOUT SKIPPING: Chichen Itza is a looong drive (2.5 hours from Playacar Palace) and if the day is particularly hot, this excursion can seem extremely gruelling. I'm inclined to say the guide really makes the tour - see if you can find out who your guide will be. Ours (Alejandro) wasn't great but wasn't terrible. His English was decent but the quantity of information was so staggering that in the end, many of us felt overwhelmed and confused by it all. The temple at at Kulkulcan IS amazing, and the other ruins are majestic. Unfortunately, the site seems to be run by the hundreds of merchants who now line every path, taking up most of the available shade, hawking their (mostly) cheap, 'made in China' souvenirs. A real shame.

OTHER THINGS TO THINK ABOUT
- Standard rooms sleep 2, so families should think twice before they book a single room
- Book spa appointments before you arrive to ensure you get the days/times you want
- Those travelling with infants can request puree Gerber baby food and whole milk ('leche entera')
- Day passes for non-resort guests are steep at USD$97 but would be worth it if guests are staying the entire day (passes are good until 11pm)

Room Tip: - Request a full balcony if you plan to use it - the smaller balconies only seat 2 comfortably - Ro...
7 Thank Meagan M
Loch Arbour, NJ
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This was our 2nd stay at Playacar Palace, and it did not leave us wanting for more. Not only was the weather perfect everyday, but the hotel and its staff were better than we remembered from last year.

First - the breakfast staff (Israel, Dionicio, Sotero, Guadelope and Edgar) are the best. There is nothing that you need that they don't try to provide in service. Once they get to know you and what you like, they have it there waiting for you, as soon as they see you coming in the door. They go out of their way, everyday.

Can't forget Perla, who provides for all your needs out by the pool and on the beach. She does not stop, and you are never without a drink or a snack. She tries to make sure you never have to get up from the lounge.

But if you do want to get up, Cesar is a fantastic Recreation/Activities Director. Whether he is leading the Water Aerobics class in the morning, getting kids out to have some fun or pulling together a game of beach volleyball, he tries to get you engaged if you have an interest. And if not, he's more than happy to just say hi and move on.

If you stay, make sure to take advantage of the spa. You can use up to $300 of your hotel credits for spa treatments, but that won't be enough, as it is a top rated facility. Better than most in the states and the staff also tries to make sure you have everything you need.

Hotel is right next to the Cozumel Ferry. We went to the Cozumel Palace for the day and get full access to the facility just by showing our Playacar bracelets. Great kids activities in the pool and you can go snorkeling off their property, since Playacar is just beach and Cozumel is on the reef.

Make sure to see the Vacation Planners to schedule use of your hotel credits. You can use them for swimming with dolphins and stingrays, spa treatments, upgraded wine, golf, etc... Look for Gustavo and his team, as they are very helpful in helping you to get everything you can out of the stay. Oh, and the nightly shows are great.

Anyway, in short... FANTASTIC place and we look forward to returning again.

3 Thank Robert W
East Sandwich
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We just spent six days at the Playacar Palace (4/19/14 to 4/25/14). From check in to check out, our experience was tops. This year was our eighth or ninth visit to the Palace in ten years and we will return. No reason exists to look at another property; Playacar Palace is safe...we walked an ran in the morning before daylight, we walked the beach during the day and strolled Fifth Avenue in the evening, Playacar Palace is welcoming...the staff recognized us and checked in often to insure we had all we needed, Playacar Palace serves great food...the fish (mahi) was really tasty, Playacar Palace has a great beach...the water was cool and comfortable, life guards watched the water and insured that no interlopers gained access to the proberty, beach service was constant, Playacar Palace completed its mission with a smile and an offering of "we hope to see you again."
My wife and I are in our sixties, mobile and have a sense of humor that matches the atmosphere of the Palace...This is a great place to stay for those our age and those who want to play in the louder opportunities the PdC offers. Accessable to all aspects of the area, Playacar Palace is a winner.
We will be back.
To the staff at Playacar Palace, Thank you.
B

Room Tip: Facing the pool with a balcony on the upper levels
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bud S
Michigan
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I was hesitant to write a review, but after some thought I couldn't consciously let others spend their hard earned money at the Playacar Palace without letting them know my thoughts regarding our vacation.

I did a lot of research prior to our trip and communicated with a few past guests via TripAdvisor. I was really looking forward to an amazing experience. The reality of Playacar Palace did not live up to the hype.

Some things I will share that I wish I had known:

- Four people cannot comfortably stay in one room. My husband and I and two teenager daughters stayed together. The jacuzzi tub taking up a decent portion of the room doesn't help. For storage there is one closet and about five drawers (not enough for 4 people). We had to live out of suitcases for the week. The rooms are suited for couples -- not families. The beds are full size beds at best, not King size for sure.

- The bathroom doors don't have locks or extreme privacy if that matters to you. The bathroom door is made of frosted glass.

- The bathroom shower is open and adjoins to the toilet area. This results in a giant indoor pool after someone showers. With the floors being marble, this can be extremely slippery and hazardous.

- Excursions & Resort Credits: If you are interested in using resort credits for excursions, make sure this is one of your first matters of business upon arrival. Some excursions are limited and only offered on certain days of the week.

There seems to be a disconnect in communication between guest services at the resort and the excursion companies. In both of the excursions we took to Tulum and Stingray Beach in Cozumel there was confusion and miscommunication. If you take the half day trip to Tulum and are told you will not have beach time, wear your swimsuit under your clothes anyways. We had nearly 1.5 hours of free time to swim and didn't have out suits as we were told there was "no beach time" - that we'd have to break away from the tour and get our own ride home! We were very hot and ended up going in our shorts anyways.

- Hibachi table: Yes, reservations are needed. The guests services representative said to make them one day in advance. Not true if you'd like to eat before 9 pm. It took us till the last day of of week long trip to get a reservation at 7 pm. After making your excursion reservations, make booking the hibachi table your second stop.

- Pants are required. Yes, long pants are required for men in the Italian restaurant. I've read many discussions about this on TripAdvisor. During our stay I saw numerous men turned away who were wearing shorts. There is even a sign posted outside the restaurant saying that long pants are required. Don't *hope* that you can get into the restaurant, just bring your pants already.

- Besides eating dinner from the buffet there are no outdoor evening restaurants. I found this to be very disappointing considering the beautiful location of the hotel. Since there are patios located right outside of both the Asian and Italian restaurants it seems like it would be easy to place some tables outside for those who would like to enjoy the sound of the waves and sea breeze. Seemed like a shame to be cooped up inside when we traveled all this way to enjoy the tropical weather.

- A pro of the resort is it's small size. You don't have to walk far to access the pool, restaurant, beach or your room. On the other hand the downside to a small all-inclusive resort was the limited selection of restaurants. For a week long stay, three restaurants to choose from wasn't enough especially when two of them were so specific in their menus (Italian and Asian cuisine). I would say that the food was AVERAGE at best, nothing special. Certainly not worth the money invested. We found many things to be "watered down" from drinks to the guacamole.

- Reserving pool chairs. Our stay was during spring break, granted a peak time, and we found it necessary to put towels on the poolside loungers by 6 am if we wanted a spot for the day. It appears the hotel reserves blocks of seats for VIP members with their names on them. Even if they don't come to the pool that day, the seats remain unoccupied. Seems a waste when other paying guests are wandering around waiting for seats to open.

- Transportation to/from the resort. I've read other reviews where people experienced trouble with their airport transfers. I can mention that we used Amstar and were very satisfied with their prompt service.

- Overserved guests. I guess this comes with the territory of unlimited alcohol, but the hotel needs to have a toleration policy for guests who have been overserved and are becoming disruptive. While at the pool we had to leave because of the language and subject matter. Another evening, there was a f-bomb screaming match poolside between bridesmaids.

- If you're looking for a relaxing poolside experience, this resort is not for you. All throughout the day there is dance music playing and there are event coordinators running water aerobics, bingo, trivia contests, etc. On a positive note, the wait staff around the pool is very attentive. Juana was our waitress for the week and she always answered our requests with a smile. She is an extremely hard worker.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room with a FULL balcony. Some rooms have small balconies or no balconies at al...
7 Thank TVLR792
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My wife and I recently spent two weeks this April at the Playacar Palace in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. The location was perfect and provided easy access to Cozumel and all the tours.

From the moment we arrived Alberto and Saskia made us feel welcome.

Our first dinner was in the Italian restaurant where the manager Jazz Perez and the hostess Marysol made us feel welcome. The waiters Rafael, Domingo, Antonio, Pedro, Ivan, Luis, Gilbert, Renan, and Cleiver made our dinners very special.

In the morning we enjoyed a buffet breakfast with servers Porfirio, Artemio, Francisco , Meyra, and Edgar attending to our every need. Anaceli made the very best omelet.

In the afternoon the pool bar was well attended by Alfredo, Gerardo, David, Ivan, Wilder, Juan, Carmen, and Francisco.

If you enjoy Asian food then the hostess, Micelia, and manager, Quetzal Vazquez, can arrange a superb evening. The waiters Victor, Raul, Oscar, Pedro, Marisela, Alejandro, and Juan Pablo will make you comfortable. The sushi chef, Juanito, and the teppanyaki chefs, Mario and Victor, will make the evening special.

You have shopping available on 5th Avenue, which runs parallel to the beach and consists of new and old stores, shops, and restaurants.

The ferry boat to Cozumel island is a few hundred feet from the hotel.

The ADT bus system, a few blocks down 5th Avenue, is available if you wish to travel to Cancun for 116 Pesos for a round trip ticket. The buses are air conditioned and provide a movie to entertain you during the hour and a half trip.

You will enjoy your stay at this resort.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#44 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 210 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!