“Playacar Palace service is excellent!!”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #20 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“Playacar Palace service is excellent!!”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Our visit to the Playacar Palace was totally excellent, from the time we checked in to our check out everything was perfect! Abigal Cinta was our concierge and went above and beyond to make our stay wonderful! The spa was great from our check in I was greeted by Rosy Hoil and she made me comfortable and very welcomed and the services were wonderful! My favorite was the hot stone massage on May 2 2014 at 8am wish I would have gotten the massage ladies name she was GREAT!The lady making the omelets every morning greeted us with a smile and was a great cook The staff, the service, the entire palace was spotless and very comfortable! Thank you and God Bless to all, Daniel and Melisa Foster

Room Tip: Ocean view would be my choice!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mlsorner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,098)
  • Korean first
Noblesville, Indiana
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My wife and I are Palace Elite members and have been to five of the Palace resorts. On our most recent trip last week, we were joined by our three kids (all in their 30s) and had a marvelous time. Playa del Carmen was perfect for us. A bit more relaxing with a great ocean front, within walking distance of the ferry for a day trip to Cozumel or an evening stroll down 5th Avenue. The Mexican people are wonderful and I do not know where you go to find better service. The Palace Resorts have found the secret receipt. And... we had a dinner to remember for life, facilitated by Mr.Quetzal and his most excellent staff. Something new and experimental and so over the top! Ask for the "sensory dinner" in the Zen Garden and maybe you will get lucky like we did.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Randy F
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We are heading to Playacar Palace in exactly two weeks and have been dealing with Elizabeth in regards to booking our room locations, amenities etc. Elizabeth has been AMAZING - she has called me and is booking us in our dream rooms - making sure to get us on the floors that we want with the right beds etc.

We are thinking about becoming Palace members - it is looking like a great idea so far.

BEST SERVICE EVER SO FAR - Will post a review about actual hotel services when I get back :o)

Jessica C

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jessica C
Wautoma, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We had an excellent time on our recent trip to Playacar Palace. The staff at the resort were great! Thanks so much to Angel and Roman from the Lobby Bar and Perla at the beach/pool area. Also have to say that Porfirio, Fransico, Meyra, and Artemio did a wonderful job. Staff go out of their way to help, give a smile, and be part of your vacation. It's not too overwhelming either. Location is wonderful with being able to hop on the ferry to Cozumel and walk around town to shop.

Jenny

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer M
Boalsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 April 2014

For 15 years,my family and I have had good to excellent trips to the Palace Resort chain in Mexico.Our last trip,however,revealed a fatal flaw in their system.Following dinner Friday,April 11, 2014, a member of our party suffered a sudden cardiac arrest in the main reception area at 7 pm..We immediately asked for EMT/Ambulance assistance and medical help from the hotel staff..Nobody from the hotel offered to help,the hotel had no AED defibrillator,and the limited medical kit had no equipment for adult airway control. Fortunately,several hotel guests helped with CPR, and I am a MD and my wife is a Physician Assistant in a US emergency room.

Nobody from the hotel helped,nor did anyone from the hotel offer to help. An ambulance arrived
40(forty) minutes after the arrest, and the hotel manager demanded we stop CPR and let the "Professionals" do their job.The EMT crew took 5 minutes to start basic life support and an IV,and obviously were not current in proper CPR methods.When we attempted to intervene, the manager again pushed us away despite telling him I was a doctor with 2 nurses and a PA.I will never forget his comment.."Let the Professionals do their work".

He was dead 10 minutes later...He was 47 years old....

Lesson..If anyone is considering visiting this hotel, be aware that you will have no help from Palace Resorts in an emergency,at least if it happens after 6 pm. If you have any health risks,are elderly,or travel with small children who will be near pools,water,or any other hazard, you are taking excessive risks should you require emergency care...Go elsewhere or stay home..

Our parting gift..nearly $1000 in bills for an extra night to make arrangements to return the remains to the US. Although the manager stated the extra night was complimentary, the check out desk informed us that Palace Management had taken back the offer..

We are Palace Elite members,and have spent at least several weeks each year in Mexico..
We will never return again to Palace Resorts, and are cancelling our Elite Membership and contract..

PS..For all those who would like to tell us that substandard Emergency Medical Care in many countries is just a normal part of foreign travel, my response is only that this hotel chain markets itself as a first class destination,charges first class rates, and actively advertises itself as a viable alternative to any other facility...if so, where are things as basic as AED devices,help, and at least one staff member on site with a knowledge of available equipment and basic life saving skills??

If you go,be aware of basic emergency techniques,and carry a basic medical kit..
Anything less can be fatal..
I know, the family and widow knows,and at least 50 guests who were present know...

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
71 Thank mark s
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Mark S

First and foremost our thoughts are with the family and those affected by this unfortunate​ tragedy. We are truly saddened that this incident occurred at Playacar Palace, resulting in one of our guests suffering a cardiac arrest, then later passing away​ of natural causes in the hospital.

The team at Palace Resorts handled this situation in accordance with ​our emergency policies and procedures. We immediately notified ​emergency services, who arrived shortly after. Upon arrival, we respectfully asked those to step away, in order for EMTs to begin proper ​resuscitation.​

​A​s a gesture of goodwill and sincere concern, I personally accompanied the family to the hospital. Defibrillators are not required by Mexican law, however one was brought and used by the EMT. Additionally, our staff is trained to perform immediate resuscitation through CPR, and we comply with all health and safety laws. We did everything in our power to assist in the situation. ​We are very saddened by this unfortunate​ situation and have been in direct contact with the family at all times. ​We will continue to follow up on any concerns.

D. Rubio
Playacar Palace GM
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Location, location, location! The beach is beautiful, and the resort is within walking distance of Playacar and the ferry to Cozumel. Service, service, service! The people are lovely, and they enjoy working for the Palace. We asked repeatedly about their backgrounds, their families, their careers. It speaks volumes about the Palace Resorts that their employees want to be there. As one lady said, "It is not all about the money. The Palace wants us to be better people."

Room Tip: Higher level rooms have a better view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Debbie W
Mattawan, Michigan
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We love Palace Resorts. Most of the time we stay at the Moon Palace Golf and Spa in Cancun, but this time our friends wanted to try another resort. So we decided to try the Playacar Palace. I will have to say I was a little hesitant. This resort is much smaller than the Moon and only has three restaurants. However, I am glad we gave it a try.

Yes the resort is small, but we had a wonderful time. It is a beautiful resort. The beach is fantastic. My wife and I would take long walks along the beach in the afternoon. The water was clean and refreshing for an afternoon swim. The resort is clean and the service is wonderful. A nice thing about the resort being small is that it does not take any time to go from your room to the pool, or beach, or restaurants, or the spa.

We ended up staying in a governors suite. It was beautiful. When you walk into the room you have a seating area with a TV that leads to a balcony. The balcony had a small table with two chairs. Great for coffee and reading in the morning.On the other side of the wall is the king size bed and bath area. It was plenty of room for the two of us and for friends to come by in the evening. The maids did a wonderful job cleaning the room. In the evening there were always flower peddles on the bed, mints on the pillow and towels made into some type of animal.

Even though there were only three restaurants, we never grew tired of the food selection. The buffet always had something different. The Habichi was fun and had great food. But we loved the Italian the best (men - make sure you have long pants). Every restaurant had delicious food.

The service at Playacar was some of the best. Everyone was pleasant and very willing to help in any way they could. They always greeted you with a smile and ended with "my pleasure". The first time we went to the buffet, Francisco greeted us and introduced himself. Every time after that he greeted us with a hand shake and knew our names. Dionicio was a very pleasant waiter. He did a fantastic job. Every morning he knew what we wanted in our coffee (we loved the tequila cream). Every afternoon he remembered what we liked to drink. Even the cook at breakfast greeted me with a smiled and remembered I liked my eggs over easy.

The spa was beautiful. I liked the idea of being able to use the hot tub with my wife. I would recommend the couples relaxing message. It was one of the best messages I have ever had. The girl that gave me my message found knots under my knots. It was great!

The location of the resort is ideal. Close to 5th Avenue and close to the ferry to Cozumel. We went to the Cozumel Palace for a day to see what that was like. With our Palace bracelet, we had full use of the Cozumel Resort, pool, food, drinks, and snorkeling.

Over all we had a great vacation. We will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where you can sit on the balcony. To get a seat by the pool, you have to get up earl...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank damiller96
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,989 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,589 reviews

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!