“Pleasantly Surprised!”

Ranked #21 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Little Corn Island, Nicaragua
“Pleasantly Surprised!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I am typically not a fan of all-inclusive hotels, but my friend had her wedding here and I have to admit I was positively blown away by the food and service. I am a vegetarian and kind of a health nut (I am a nutritionist by profession) and I was very pleased with the options. There were many for me, like the fresh juices without added sugar and variety of raw and cooked vegetables, beans, legumes. The people at the hotel were extremely friendly and accommodating. Thank you Isreal, Diego, Guadalupe, and Quetzal for always helping me!! The rest of the restaurant staff were equally as amazing, I just don't remember the names. The rooms are beautiful, the beach is beautiful. I would definitely recommend this place to friends:)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rebecca G
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for such a lovely review. The entire Playacar Palace truly appreciate the time to write your review.

Playacar Palace GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,122)
  • Korean first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Playacar Place early this month as wedding guests and despite all the rain we had a great time. The staff was very attentive at all times, the food was good, the rooms were really comfy and the amenities were awesome! We book our stay through Beach Bum Vacation w/ the assistance of Nanda. She made booking our first trip to Mexico a breeze! She was very responsive to all our questions and providing everything we need in a timely manner. Thanks Beach Bum Vacation and the staff at Playacar, we are definitely looking to return soon!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
21 Thank BklynBella75

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 June 2014

First I would say, we are making our way around to all the Palace Resorts. We had visited this resort once before on a day pass, and decided to stay there this past February. The first thing we noticed upon arrival at the resort, was the GREAT customer service. From the first minute we set forth on the property, everyone we encountered made us feel as though we were the most important guest there. This is not unusual for a palace resort, but notably a notch above what we expected. From the bar service, to the pool and beach staff to the fine waiters and waitresses at the restaurant. I would not have enough space to name all of the staff so I specifically made note of a few: Porforio was absolutely "perfect" (that's how I remembered his name). He was eager to greet us each morning for breakfast with our "green Juice" and coffee mate for our coffee. He had anticipatory skills which I can only guess has been sharpened by years of waiting on customers at Playacar. I mentioned him, because we looked for him each day--but if he was not available, there was no shortage of outstanding service from the other wait staff including Edgar, Israel, Artemio, Mayrdo, Francisco, and Miriam. The waiters in the evening restaurants were equally as accommodating. It really seemed that they enjoyed waiting on you: everyone at the restaurants and bars. We met a lot of really nice people there, including the guests. We will go back, but are still making our way to all of the Palace Resorts.

Room Tip: Don't book a room near the pool bar closest to the rooms If you retire to bed early. It was a l...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PghTravelers2014

Naples, Florida
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have always heard that second parts are bad but, since I had such a great experience last year at the Beach Palace, I decided to try another hotel from the same company. The service from the front desk and the people who coordinate the "hotel credits" is very inefficient..
We tried to use the hotel credits to take tour as we did last year, but the ones we wanted were only on certain days of the week, so we rented a car from the hotel and went to Coba. When we came back there was nobody at the desk, so we went to the Guest Relations and the lady there told to leave the key with the front desk staff. We explained to them that, even when we could have the car for 24 hours, we would be leaving early the next morning for a tour. The front desk staff refused to accept the key and told us they would not be open until 8:00 am.
We tried again in the morning before leaving for the day tour, but the front desk refused again. We left the key in an envelope on top of a desk but in the afternoon, they said we had to pay two days rent. I guess they never heard of a drop box for the keys.
The air conditioner in the restaurants barely works, which is a shame because the food is great and the waiters are awesome.
Nevertheless, i do not think I would visit any of the other Palace hotels ever again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
16 Thank Tere6666
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Just got back from a 9 day Playacar Palace experience. Where do i begin? The Property
is slightly outdated but maintained well. The rooms are very comfortable with plush bedding,
jacuzzi tub fully stocked fridge and plenty of booze.Pool area is slightly small so get up early
to reserve good lounge chairs. Nora and Perla were amazing at taking care of our every want
n need poolside. Cesar and Alexander were great at entertaining us with different activities everyday. The beach is pristine with plenty of chairs and umbrellas.Now for the food. The property
has 3 restaurants first Terazza Italian food, food was good service was great Gilbert and Cleber
were outstanding. Second Mo Mo No Ha Na asian/hibachi, awesome, Raul,our hibachi chef was
more entertaining than most Benihana chefs and way faster. steak,chicken,seafood all masterly
prepared and delicious.Third Main restaurant buffet. great for breakfast,lunch and even dinner.
freshly prepared omelets any way you like them. grilled steak,chicken,seafood, veggies to your
specs. Wonderful full selection of desserts,pastries,and ice creams. Porfino,Cristal,Isabel and
Antonio were spot on with excellent service. The only downside to this resort in my opinion is
is that there is no air conditioning in the lobby area understandably( open air). There is a great
breeze blowing in on the main lobby bar but thats it. Cant wait to return to one of our favorite
resort destinations Playacar Palace

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Vinny C
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you Vinny C, for such a lovely review. Clver, Gilbert, Nora, Perla, Raul, Porfirio, Cristal, Isabel...and the entire Playacar Palace truly appreciate the time to write your review.

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2014

One of the best Resorts in Playa del Carmen, if not the best.
The beach is wonderful and close to the pier where the boats travel back and forth to Cozumel.
The pool area is small however really nice with lots of lounge chairs to choose from.
The restaurants and food are tremendous, no complaints here.
All the staff is very friendly and helpful, they always greet you with a hello while smiling at the same time.
A special thank you to Elizabeth Acosta, front desk Manager for all her help and making are stay one of the best ever.
We definitely want to return as soon as possible.
Theresa & Paul

Room Tip: All rooms have an excellent view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank robertregomez
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for your kind review. Please do not hesitate to contact me for a future next visit!

Hasta Pronto!

Angleton, Texas
Reviewed 13 June 2014

First let me just say that we are used to adults only and we set high standards with resorts that we chose. We usually stay at The Royal PDC, Secrets, or Excellence resorts, so maybe we were expecting too much. With that being said you can read this review then make the decision if this resort would be right for you.

We booked here because our son was coming who turned 15 the week of our trip. So we didn't need a resort with a kids club and I had read that this place was awesome and not overrun with kids. I had also heard palace resorts are awesome! Another plus with this resort is how close you are to 5th Ave.

Our vacation was June 8-12, we arrived and were greeted with a cold towel and a green juice drink. It was some type of smoothie, but wasn't very cold. We arrived around 1230 and our room was already ready, which was great! Went up to room 446 and they were pretty nice. Even though we reserved a king we had two double beds, which wasn't a big deal. We also had a jacuzzi tub and we were lucky enough to get a balcony. We had a partial ocean view. I also requested to be away from Señor Frogs and not on the first floor because previous reviews had mentioned the ducks that kept them up all night! We were not on Señor Frogs side but we were on the 4th floor right above the ducks! First night didn't hear the ducks or any birds, slept pretty good. After the first night we heard the ducks and birds all night long, VERY loud, thank God I brought ear plugs with me. Air works well as long as you turn it down a lot. Woke up to find a huge cockroach in our bathroom! I know to some people this isn't anything but I do not like staying anywhere that i see any bugs! And no I have not seen any dead or alive at the above listed resorts. That evening when taking a shower noticed there was not any shower gel, just a bar of soap. We also only received two washcloths and two towels. Every morning my husband would have to leave a tip and a note for the maid to tell her we needed more wash clothes and shower gel. She did bring it, but we had the same bar of soap for the entire trip.

Pool-area was pretty small, first day there we could not find 4 chairs together so we opted for the beach which was fine, but we did notice that there were about 10 chairs reserved for families who never came to sit around the pool and beach areas. I think this was a waste, if they don't come out by a certain time, I think the signs should be moved for other people. This was the case every morning and towel game was played here.

Poolside grill-this place had great pizzas, guacamole and chips, and my son and husband loved the hot wings and fries! We chose this place over the buffet at lunch everyday it was very good!

Momo-this was the Hibachi place and the only place you needed reservations for. The first night we did the a la carte, and it was just okay. My mom and my food came out COLD, not even the slightest bit warm. They took it back and came back and it was still barely warm, I didn't even eat my food and my mom said hers wasn't any better. Later that night my mom said her stomach was hurting and she felt sick. I ate the sushi there, which was pretty good. Another night we did the hibachi and the food was wonderful!

Italian-the Italian was pretty good, had the lasagna, it was a bit dry. Nothing else to really say about this place.

Steakhouse-is outside next to the buffet, which actually thought it was part of the buffet, but it isn't. My son had 3 New York steaks here and he said they were awesome!

Beach is beautiful!!!! Cannot complain about this at all!

Sports bar-this place needs a complete makeover. There are two pool tables, that are hard to play since they are so close to each other and near the window on one side. Very small 32" TV in there and very boring. Unless it is night time there will not be anyone at this bar and you cannot make your own drinks!

All restaurants are very hot as well. They need type of AC circulating. Also no snacks inside rooms and very few drinks. Had to call several times to get them to bring cokes for my son. Irritating!

Wanted to comment on Perla at the pool who was on top of getting us drinks every few minutes and was very nice! She was the best and only person that stands out to us at this resort.

Another weird thing was the first morning we were there it was already 10 am and the pool bar wasn't opened. I asked a girl who came around for drinks if the pool bar was about to open and she said she wasn't sure? What?? By the time I always make it down for breakfast the pool bar is already open, always! Then she came back by and said in a few minutes, I thought this was odd. We were just disappointed in hearing so much about palace resorts and how great they were and felt that they did not deliver. We weren't impressed with food or the resort. Pool needs to be updated, has missing tiles and such. Also not as clean as I thought it was would. Other resorts I always see people cleaning, always, never hear. Also saw many dead bugs on the stairs many many times. Glad that they were dead yes, but still felt dirty at times. My husband and I were looking at the ducks from the 4th floor outside our room on our last night and he felt something on his foot and what do you know it was a huge cockroach again!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank mxlovers

Was an honor to host you and your family, and I offer you an apology for those disappointments. I hope you could give us a new opportunity in a future.

I also want to thank you for such and extense review.

I recommend you and everybody, to contact the General Manager if things are not according to your expectations on your next travel. Give the hotel the opportunity to change the “color” of your vacations. We can't change what we don't know. Every hotel will be happy to exceed you expectations, and you will enjoy a great stay. An average or bad review post travel will not give you your vacations back.

Please, send our greetings to your family.

Hasta Pronto!

Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#42 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#35 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!