“Something for everyone!”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #29 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 7 January 2010

We recently returned from a fabulous week at the Playacar Palace. The resort while smaller in size lacked nothing a large resort has to offer except noise. When we arrived we were greeted by happy people and felt welcomed immediately. Check in was a smooth, enjoyable process that included a wonderfully scented cool wash cloth and fruit juice. We were given all the information we could possibly need for a perfect vacation and a concierge was assigned to assist us during our stay. Bell hops were friendly and careful with our luggage. When we arrived at our suite he noticed that there were three of us and ammenities for two and within minutes additional supplies were brought to our suite including an extra bathrobe.

Our suite was spacious, very clean and had top of the line supplies such as bath products (first time I've ever used a resort's shampoo and conditioner), beverages and spirits. The suite also offered a double in-room jacuzzi and an amazing ocean view. The closet provided a safe and lots of space as did the dresser. We travelled with our 15 year old daughter who also enjoyed the room.

Food was exceptional-something for everyone. We particularly enjoyed the Italian restaurant and dined there three of our seven nights. Don't pass up the parmagiano creme soup! My husband always ordered the chef's nightly special and was never disappointed; each of us were delighted with every meal! Palace Resorts have recently upgraded their wine list and it showd the wines were very good and a pleasure to drink. Don't miss the Mayan coffee! Davido was a wonderful server-as were the rest of our waiters at the Italian restaurant. Don't forget to tip.

Every breakfast we were greated by Fernando and Geraldo at the buffet. They both made our stay that much more enjoyable. We missed them during their days off! "Hola gentlemen"! There is plenty of food to suit everyone and a chef is standing by at every meal to prepare something just for you! We did not order room service so no comments there.

The entertainment was excellent the staff were amazing! We were a bit concerned that our daughter would be bored but there was no chance of that. Between the poolside activities and the evening entertainment she was quite busy meeting new friends from around the world. The only downside to the activities was that you could hear what was going on around the pool (loudspeaker) while trying to have an afternoon nap-we closed the patio door.

The included tours were also a great deal of fun and wonderful adventures in themselves. We did spend a day at the spa and highly recommend using the hydrotherapy room prior to your treatment. My husband and I had a romantic couples massage and were thrilled. Our daughter and I enjoyed manicures and pedicures. Wonderful staff at the spa too!

Located in the heart of Playa del Carmen provided easy access to shopping and local life. Here was a my huge surprise-Mexico is known for its silver-so a negotiated what I thought was a fair price for a couple of items in Playa. When I was roaming through the hotel I went in the 'Palace Jewelery' store and was really pleasently surprised by the prices-they were better than I have found in Playa! Items at the gift store (Palace Shop) were also very reasonably priced.

While there is not a huge beach at the resort it is an incredible beach, beautiful sand bottom and great waves for body boarding! We were pleasantly surprised.

Last year we visited Xel-Ha and were thrilled; this year we went to XCaret and we thrilled again. If you want something fun for an outing go to either or both of these sites you will not be disappointed. Both parks can have about 3000 people in them and you'd never guess there were more than 300 there. At Xel-Ha don't miss the river float and at XCaret the underground river was not to be missed-we did the one that was all underground-very impressive!

This was an amazing resort-we will definately return!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
8  Thank JoeandMichelle
Write a ReviewReviews (4,763)

Reviewed 1 December 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon, it was amazing. The service was great everyone was so friendly. The food was great lots of choices for a smaller resort. Our room was cleaned multiple times a day. We asked them a few times to leave because it had already be cleaned and we wanted to shower. The activities were fun, although we missed some of the shows because they are pretty short. I heard some people complain they didn't know what time the shows started but it was posted on the elevators. This resort is in an amazing location from down town. Very close to shopping and nightlife although it was extremely quiet.
The only thing I would recommend is not taking kids here. Although there were activities for them it just didn't seem like a kid resort. The kids I saw did seem to have fun but I wouldn't take my children here. It's set up more for adults than children. I look forward to returning to this amazing resort. Email me if you have any questions.

3  Thank finallyanewlywed
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Everything the others are saying are accurate, so I won't go over it again. My wife and I went for our 1 yr. anniversary, and we splurged for "consierge level" thinking we would get superior service and attention. Not so. The only difference is a pillow menu and aromatherapy (which is just a heated fragrance gel) in your room. Other than that, there was virtually no difference, so save your hard earned money. They say that "consierge level" gets you a better room, lso not true. It was a standard room (still very nice though), just on a higher floor and a bigger balcony. All rooms are ocean view and have a balcony. A few things to be aware of and avoid: 1) Take a private taxi to and from the airport. $44 each way and worth every penny. With the resort shuttle, you are at the mercy of their schedule, and you'll wait for other guests flights to arrive and make pick-ups and drop offs at other resorts. *Thanks to Tripdvisor we avoided this hassle!* 2) Do everything in your power to avoid the Spa/Golf/Tours booking desk. It will take you HOURS to get anything done with them. Of course if you want the spa and golf, you will have no choice. For all other excursions, grab a taxi and go. These peole are independant travel agents and do not work directly for the resort. Tey don't d anything fast. It took us nearly 2hrs to book spa treatments, a trip to Tulum, and a scuba trip. They do this multiple times a day, nd you'd think it ws for the first time. 3) AVOID THE TRNSPORTATION FOR THE INCLUDED TOURS! The places themselves are great, we went to Tulum. They say it's a 40 minute drive (as opposed to 3 hrs for Chicen-Itza), so thats why we chose it, didn't want to spend a whole day on a bus. But wait!! There's a catch!! The 40 minute trip took 2hrs 45mins! First a 30 minute van ride to Aventura Palace to pick up people, then a bus which stopped at 8 MORE RESORTS. We were so angry with this that after the tour we took a taxi back to the resort. (40 mins. $30) About half of the people on the bus did the same. I cn only imagine what it would have been like if we went to Chichen-Itza. I heard that it's almost 5 hours each way when you factor in all of the stops. (others told me that it's 2 hrs in a taxi for $60) Oh, and if you go to Tulum, skip the $5 for the trolley and walk for less than 5 minutes. Also, bring a bathing suit and towel, there is a beautiful beach there. They will try to sell you bug spray, but you won't need it. Maybe it was just the breeze, but there were no bugs for us. Overall, it was a good trip, the resort is very nice, and very quiet. If you're looking for a lively party vibe, consider Moon Palace or Aventura Spa Palace. Playacar Palace was a mostly older crowd.

7  Thank JoyandPaul
Reviewed 16 November 2009

I just got back on friday the 13th (nov 2009) from a 12 night stay at Playacar Palace. This was a beautiful hotel and is in an even better than excellent location. 12 nights would normally not be too long but when it rains it is!
My wife and I went for our honeymoon. The honeymoon package was included at no extra fee. (impressive??? no, free/included yes) We ran into some super crappy weather . It rained about 75% of the time which included hurricane IDA (a category 1 hurricane). CLEANLINESS was great with the exception of the pool being a little dirty but I must cut them some slack due to a hurricane filling the kiddy pool with sand and the main pool with salt water. SERVICE: All aspects of service were amazing everyone does everything you ask them and with a smile on their faces. I didnt tip for everything but i definetely tipped when i felt necessary. Mara at the front desk was a sweetheart. She made sure we were happy and went out of her way to make my wife's birthday special. She went above and beyond! When raining they gave us umbrellas to use when going into town (big ones too) The rest of the front desk and the activities/tour desk people did not impress me. Poolside "super eric" was great but the activities were boring! (guess how many poker chips are in a cup for a chance to win a crappy t-shirt????) not my idea of a fun activity. They needed to step it up big time especially when people are paying thousands of dollars to come and are stuck doing nothing due to weather. The bartenders up in the lobby area and the luna lounge barstaff were great. (Karina, little Martha, Josue, and Luis) make sure to ask Josue to see his magic tricks. LOCATION: CANT BE BEAT. If only we had nice weather it would have been perfect. This hotel is literally 50 yards from the start of 5th avenue. If you are celebrating a special occasion go to Casa Del Aqua for dinner. GREAT MEAL AND AMAZING SERVICE! (GET THE TABLE SIDE CESAR SALAD) If anyone has been to PLAKA in Athens, i would somewhat describe 5th avenue as being like the Plaka. The Cozumel ferry dock was about a baseball throw away from the hotel, and the hotel was located right on the beach which I believe all rooms have an oceanview. The downside. It is so close to the beach that the hurricane ended up bringing waves and sand into our pool and the actual beach that there is, is small. The dinner staff was great. 3 restaurants to choose from and a 24 hr room service menu. Selection??? not great for the late night room service but it all tasted yummy after drunk dialing the front desk to order. VALUE: I spent a lot to go here. I talked to friends who were down the road towards Xcaret and they said their place sucked from food to service to location etc... I believe it was the Grand Occidental Xcaret. However when paying a big price I believe it should include airport transfer!!! When I have to pay $92 on the palace website for round trip airport transfer and then wait for other peoples flights to come in that pissed me off! When I have to go to the airport 4 hours early that pisses me off. If i pay $92 I want to go when I want to go! When guests are getting $150 spa credit for 1 week and I stay 2 weeks and only get $150 spa credit that pissed me off. I think they could have done a little more to accomodate such a long stay.

One thing I wish we did was visit the ruins. After all the rain stopped all we had time for was swimming with the dolphins, an ATV tour which included zip lines and a cenote, a couples massage and laying by the pool getting fatter. Go see the ruins, go to the adventura spa for the "time share" presentation. its not long from what i hear and they give you a crap load of spa credits. We missed out on that. The couples massage was great. The spa and gym are both located about 5 min off site. Hope this helps. Pray for good weather cuz if it rains there really isnt much to do besides hang out in the room, lobby, or buy a poncho and go sight seeing. I would absolutely recommend this place. if you have questions message me. akondos47@aol.com

5  Thank akondos47
Reviewed 14 November 2009

I actually got married there last year and (aside from having to use the hotel's photographer for my wedding--horrible horrible horrible!!!) I couldn't have chosen a better place to stay and get married. The rates are pricey but for what you get, it's a great deal. The staff is extremely accommodating and no one in our group ever went with whatever they wanted. The food is good too but being a bit of a foodie myself I wouldn't necessarily say it was GREAT, but certainly, I would admit that I didn't have a bad meal there. The drinks are obviously watered down (as it is an all inclusive) but tip the bartender and make it worth it. I loved that all the trips/activities were included with in the price so our guests could plan to visit many of the sites without the hassle of planning and expense. I did a lot of research before staying here and I couldn't find another hotel with amenties this good for the price AND not to mention that it's right at the end of the 'strip' of the town of Playa del Carmen....close to EVERYTHING. I'll return to PDC and will never stay anywhere else. I'd HIGHLY recommend it!!!

• Stayed: September 2008
4  Thank lsparks1976
Reviewed 8 November 2009

being in the hospitality industry myself for some thirty years i find myself being somewhat critical. each year for the past 10 my partner and i spend 10 days in cozumel each october. first time in a new hotel is somewhat scary not knowing what to expect. i can honestly swear this hotel with its staff and services is beyond compare.from check in to check out . we stayed on the concierge level but trust me when i say the few extra dollars are well worth the price...service beyond......restaurant staff five star......food always fresh and presented like in nyc. also a very very good variety....buffet and table service.... food on our trip was excellent. (try the mayan coffee) .let me finish by saying if you go you will cry when you leave not because the vacation is over but because you know you will miss your new family. ps......try the spa.....any questions email me at grau45@live.com.......shopping. cozumel.sightseeing etc

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank missingplaya47
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Where do I start. We just returned from 10 days at Playacar Palace. This was our 4th stay at this resort and probably our best. Going to this resort is like coming home. There were staff that had been there on our previous visits and they remembered us. That was such a nice feeling. We were pampered beyond belief.

Capacity is way down in Mexico right now so the staff definately outnumbered the guests. Our every want and desire was taken care of. Service is always outstanding at this resort but it was beyond our every expectation this time.

I do have to give a big hand to the entertainment staff. They try so hard but with capacity at 12% there aren't a lot of people to work with. They definately made the best of it and played to the folks they had. There were a few nights there were only 4 or 6 of us playing cards in the lounge but it was a blast. Very personal. Super Eric and Juan took very good care of us both during the day around the pool and in the evening. With so few people it was very casual and fun. But there was no pressure from them to participate. There were times we just said no and they left music playing so we could relax.

The food and restaurant service. Where to begin. Thanks Fernando, Sergio, Jazz, Juan and all the others who took such good care of us. The chefs were falling all over themselves to try and make special dishes that we enjoyed. One mention of shrimp and the next thing I knew I had this gorgeous plate of sauteed shrimp in wine and butter in front of me. Desserts, I think I had the best dessert I've ever had in the Mexican Restaurant. Ask for the strawberries flambae. Magnificant.

Housekeeping and turndown. What great people. Once again they took such good care of us and were so nice to talk with.

I would recommend this resort to anyone looking to relax and enjoy. Everything was wonderful and we are looking forward to going back soon.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple