“Muy Fabuloso!”
Review of Paamul Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa del Carmen
Paamul Hotel
Ranked #140 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Paamul was recommended to us by a close friend, and it was everything she promised and more. We just loved this place...

We booked one week in a ground floor room with a quaint little deck that walked out to the ocean just a few steps away. The room was just great for us. Barto is the happy, friendly and engaging gentleman who cleans the rooms, and we looked forward to his daily visits.

The restaurant staff are great, and the ceviche is awesome with one plate providing plenty for both of us. We enjoyed a live music dinner on the Friday night with new friends from Halifax and our buddy from Kelowna which was so much fun. Watch out for those "stealth" Margaritas...they are good!

Don't be scared away by the "220 RV Sites". The locals (RV Park residents) are very friendly and you'd hardly know they're there. The beach is spacious and private...lots of room for everyone. On Sundays the locals bring their families to spend the day. It's a lively afternoon with plenty of kids laughing and playing in the pool and enjoying the warm waters of Paamul Bay. Monday morning it's right back to peace and serenity...

Scuba-Mex Dive Shop is located right there on site and they are amazing if you are up for that adventure...reviewed under their name if you are interested.

Paamul Hotel is just fantastic if you are looking for a quiet and relaxing getaway!

Room Tip: Recommend ground floor suite...
3  Thank Michael C

Reviewed 30 March 2014

This is an amazing jewel of a location. Simple, elegant, stunning ocean views and beach access immediately off your private deck. If you are looking to sleep & awake to the sounds of rolling waves, star gaze with brilliant clarity, long walks on deep sand beaches - this is the place. But it's not Disney World or Atlantis! It's a small, quiet, private enclave right on the ocean, with several private thatched "palappas" vacation cottages in the secure, gated community. The rooms are spacious, immaculate and comfortable. Bathroom very modern. Restaurant is small, very friendly, wide open the ocean views and breezes, reasonable prices. Pool seems nice but I never used it. Snorkeling, swimming, in very clear water. Night life is zero, which for me was perfect. There may be a TV somewhere. I don't remember. Car not needed. Take the bus or a cab. AND they may add a tennis court this year! Perfection!

The fitness center and the spa are the beach - hence no rating on these 2.

Room Tip: depends - ground floor gives immediate beach access. floors 2 & 3 better views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Bryan M
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I wavered between 3 and 4 stars for Paamul. Let's call it 3.5.

The positives for this property are the location and the unspoiled beauty of the beach. It is a very small hotel, just about a dozen rooms. We booked the master suite, but I would not do that in the future. The larger kitchen and dining area weren't something we ended up using, even though we didn't dine out a lot. We visited in late March, and the property was relatively empty, it seemed. Very quiet and relaxing. No problem at all securing a palapa for shade each day.

The things I didn't like very much...
No table of any sort on our balcony. There was a built in sofa, 1 lounger, 3 mismatched chairs, but no table. No hair dryer in the room until I went to the office and asked for one. No beach towels provided. I've never been in a beachfront hotel which didn't offer towels. Maybe I could've gotten those at the office too, but I never saw any official looking matching towels at the beach, so I just assumed that they weren't available. Lastly, the rooms could use some updating. While the gauzey draped beds are photogenic, they're also not dusted very often. The room darkening drapes were covered in mold spots.

I guess the thing about Paamul is that the hotel is not the focus of the property. It is first and foremost an RV park with many permanent retirement palapas. A gated expat community. We found the residents to be more welcoming and friendly than the hotel and restaurant staff.

Paamul is close enough to town to run out to the grocery store and pick up beach towels. At the same time, it's far enough away that there's not that party drunken noisy bar scene going on. There is some entertainment on the weekends, but it's low key and quiets down early. We found the restaurant to be good for breakfast and lunch, adequate for dinner. Again, plenty of places to go out just a short drive away. Scuba shop on premises, and paddleboards are available for rent. If you go DO NOT forget your beach shoes. While there is a small sandy area to enter the water, the majority of the beach area is natural coral. You'll want to explore, so shoes are a must!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My fiancé and I were so excited to go to Mexico, especially Paamul. Unfortunately, upon arriving in Cancun, our bags were lost (for about 36 hours) and then, when we stopped to buy clothes, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc., a shoulder bag was stolen from our rental car. It contained our passports, among other things. Justine and Andrea at Paamul were SO wonderful in helping us the next day to contact United about our bags and the US Consulate in Playa Del Carmen about getting an emergency passport. (There was another woman who helped us a lot to make phone calls, but we didn't catch her name)
We loved our room at Paamul, so it made waiting for our suitcases much nicer. Head's up - there is no phone or clock or lamps. Very bare bones, but there is a TV, refrigerator, sink, microwave and coffee maker. If you plan ahead, it can be very nice for making some of your own food.
The restaurant employees were also great and the food was nice - especially sitting there at the edge of the ocean.
I plan to write other reviews about our car rental experiences and a few other sites we visited, but I will just caution anyone planning to rent a car in Mexico: think twice about it. Next time we come (IF we come again), we'll take a taxi. And we chose to visit other cities like Valladolid and Merida. We wished we'd just stayed in Paamul.
We did go to dinner one evening at Puerto Aventuras - it's almost like a little city, but it seems to be a combination of hotel and private properties. Very pleasant and very close to Paamul. Some have complained about the captive dolphins in Mexico, but there they are actually in ocean water at the end of a marina and it seems to be a nice place for them.

Room Tip: We picked a ground floor room down near the end furthest from the restaurant. It was wonderful, tho...
4  Thank debbie645
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We had stayed in Paamul 15 years ago and this we decided to drop back in for a few days during a holiday centered in Puerto Morelos. In those intervening years there have been some changes, including rebuilding after hurricane damage. We LOVED our stay there this February. We had a beach level room, so that you walk off your patio/balcony onto the soft sand. The room was large, the beds and bedding lovely and the view incomparable. Bathroom was spacious and very clean. It has one of the nicest, most tranquil small beaches I have ever seen. While there is small rock as you enter, a sandy path is kept open so you are sure of foot and comfortable walking in. The water was crystal clear, so that I could admire the nail polish on my toes while standing in chest deep water! The RV park that is located on the site is not intrusive into the hotel area, it only adds to the interesting dynamic of the small beach community. By the way, the RVs are nearly invisible in their neat rows as people build small (and sometimes elaborate) thatched cottages around the RV. These are mostly permanent. I was often the only person in the pool and often in the morning mist I would walk down to the beach area and see a few standing paddle boarders taking advantage of the calm sea and offshore reef. Food was good and a fairly diverse menu considering how small the hotel is. I was happy to find out they had a small espresso machine so I indulged myself with a daily iced latte. The staff is friendly and because of the RV park, the security was top notch. I hope to return again someday and hope it doesn't take another 15 years!

4  Thank DEBRAH W
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I found this place looking for a place to camp at while I went to a party at Hard Rock hotel.wouldn't you know it they are 3km from Hard Rock. Paamul is one of the nicest places I have ever stayed at ever. beautiful sandy beach, nice pool. The restaurant is nice with a 4 star view. I camped there and hope more people go there to camp so they will make us a nice spot. Kid friendly you bet. What I liked the most about Paamul was the Staff. They made me feel so at home and welcome. I had a bit of bad luck and Andrea and staff were just the nicest and supportive people.I asked if I could buy Andrea a six pack or bottle of wine to show my appreciation and she humbly said,"its our job, just speak well of Paamul." Paamul is one of the nicest,most accomodating,friendly,kid friendly relaxing, beautiful places i have ever stayed at ever and I travel all the time. don't miss this little gem. tell them hola from Mark

Room Tip: I closest camping to playa del carmen
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Mark c
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Stayed in Paamul January 30 to February 7th, 2014. This year I stayed in room 6, which is a 2nd level suite. My first time on this level, and I must say, I loved it. The balcony affords a nice combination of sun and shade through the entire day. The sunrises are stellar from these vantage points.
I reviewed the hotel in January 2013 and had suggested coffee makers for the room. I was very happy to see this has been added as well as free wifi to the room ammenities, which I think is great!
The Paamul staff continue to work hard at keeping the rooms very clean and fresh. The staff are always smiling and very pleasant to converse with even though my spanish is limited.
As stated in other reviews, you will not find loud blaring music or all night parties here. This is a place for relaxation. You can also use Paamul as a base for tours towards Tulum (40 mins) south and PDC (15 mins) north.
Room Ammenities: 2 queen beds, microwave, fridge, sat tv, wifi, coffee maker, hair dryer, in room safe, sun lounger.
Restaurant: located directly beside the hotel. Hours are 8am-8pm and you can place a food/drink order and have it delivered to you at the beach or to your room. The seating area has an excellent elevated view of the bay, the staff are very friendly and attentive. I find the prices to be reasonable, in line with neighboring restaurants in Puerto Aventuras (5 mins) south.
I have visited Paamul many times and this is one place I always feel safe. As the hotel is situated within an RV park, the community is gated. There are plenty of security, but i never felt they were obtrusive. Much like the hotel, restaurant staff, the security are friendly as well and always great you with a smile. They were helpful to me several times in calling me a taxi from the gate.
In closing, this location is a true gem. If you are looking for something different than the all inclusive vacation, I highly recommend Paamul. I will continue to spend my vacation time here, its paradise guaranteed!!

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean. This hotel is located directly on the beach.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Doug8256
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Serenity Eco Luxury Tented Camp
Hacienda Paradise Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels
Hacienda Paradise Boutique Hotel...
#46 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Playa Maya
Playa Maya
#99 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Del Sol Beachfront Hotel

Been to Paamul Hotel? Share your experiences!