“Love, love, love this place!”
Review of Maya Del Mar

Maya Del Mar
Ranked #179 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Edmonton, Canada
“Love, love, love this place!”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying in this quaint hotel. My husband and I enjoyed it immensely.The room are simple, but comfortable and safe. Staff is really kind and helpful. The 2 people we mostly dealt with ( Arturo and William ) went out of their way to suggest nice places to go and see around town. It is located right downtown in Playa del Carmen, so it's really convenient for shopping, nightlife and the beach. If you are looking for an inexpensive, low-key hotel where you can do your own thing and be right in the middle of it all.....this is the place for you!

Room Tip: since it's right on the main strip, if you want a quieter room, ask for one in the back.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
London
Reviewed 20 May 2013 via mobile

I do not recommend staying here.. We booked through booking.com to pay on site and thank God coz I would hate to stay here another night if the whole 10 days was paid for in front. We knew the hotel is in busy area of 5th avenue and realised it would be noisy so I took my earplugs as we wanted to be in the middle of it all and close to the beach.. First night .. And only we spent here was hell.. The studio with kitchen looked old with not much utensils or even a kettle about.. It was dirty and basic.. Looking out onto 5 th avenue.. The noise and music comes from 10 different bars outside and mixes into horrible blast.. U also get people working in restaurant below making noise and singing.. All this lasted till about 5am when they finally stop the music but then u get the rubbish collecting and delivery trucks running up and down outside ur window... My earplugs did nth for me I could still hear the noise and the vibrations.. The whole place was shaking .. There was no lobby service so to speak the guy at reception couldn't care less even when we decided to leave next morning.. The worse for me was that when we left I forgot my nightie which was hanged in the bathroom.. As it was Calvin Klein and my favourite one I came back the same evening to collect it.. Just to be told that nth was found ??
We moved into fantastic little hotel further down 5 th avenue between 38th and 40th calle called Casa Ticul and we loved everything about it.. Friendly staff and yummy hot breakfast! And most of all peace and good night sleep.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank izzwizz79
Reviewed 18 May 2013

This place is just horrible. We only lasted one night and had to move hotel. Yes it's very noisy, which could be forgiven if the beds were any way beds and not concrete slabs. The room was dirty in my opinion and the service unforgivable. Please don't waste your money. And what ever you do don't leave anything behind as you won't get it back.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Clk8509
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at Jungla Caribe for 9 nights this past November 2012 and can’t say enough good things about this hotel. This was my first visit to Playa Del Carmen and I was lucky to find this gem on Trip Advisor. Jungla Caribe is conveniently located on Fifth Avendida (main tourist strip) near 8th...I believe. A perfect location as it is only 1 short block from the beach, with many shops and restaurants to choose from nearby. It is also a short walk from the ADO Bus Station on Juarez Ave. Upon arrival, I was greeted with a friendly smile by an English speaking front desk clerk named Arturo, and there was no problem with my reservation even though I did not give a deposit upon booking…which I thought was AMAZING!!! This hotel is GORGEOUS!!! The vibrant colours mixed with the tropical plants and original funky art & sculptures created by the Owner himself make this hotel a perfect escape from the madness of Fifth Avenue. I stayed in Suite 210 as I was told this would be a little quieter than the rooms directly facing Fifth Avenue..which they were right. The suite was HUGE!! Probably about 800 sf!! It comes with a fridge, has a separate living room area with a couch, chair and flat screen TV, a HUGE walk in closet (a girls dream!!) and a separate bathroom. It also had a large balcony with a table and chairs that looks out onto the beautiful garden area. The room was…in a word….AWESOME. They also have rooms with or without kitchenettes that either face 5th or 8th. As a 39 year old female travelling solo I felt VERY safe staying here. The Owners and staff went above and beyond make me feel welcome and to ensure I had a wonderful stay. At one point the TV in my room broke and it was replaced within minutes of me notifying the front desk with a nice flat screen! Now that’s service!!!! There is also a water cooler which provides both hot and cold water. Great for morning coffee or tea! I will definitely be staying here on my next trip to Playa Del Carmen and would gladly recommend this hotel to anyone!!

Room Tip: If your looking to watch the action on Fifth from your balcony, then a room facing Fifth would be gr...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Freespiritgirl72
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2012

What an amazing place! I´d stayed in a few other hotels in Playa before coming across this one and I´m so glad I did, it´s the cheapest hotel I stayed in but actually the nicest! It´s so beautiful once you step through the doors with plants and beautiful decorations and lights everywhere. Really clean place. The room didn´t disappoint either, very clean, lovely little touches like the towels made into swans each time it was cleaned, lovely organic complimentary toiletries (again the nicest of all the hotels I went to), totally unexpected for this price!!! The location is great, right in the centre of the 5th avenue and so close to the beach - our room had a balcony and we could see the sea!
Staff also very friendly..
I´m staying here next time I visit Playa!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor on the west side (as you walk into the hotel) have a balcony on one side and...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Moon
Reviewed 20 November 2012 via mobile

Love this place from the first sight! It's totally different from all I've seen before. So nice jungle inside. They even have pool but who need that if the sea two steps away. Love the decoration of the room. It is fantastic! Love the view from the balcony to the 5ta avenida. They have no elevator. But the hotel guys always happy to help you. Love the girls housekeepers, my bed was always decorated with the towels and beautiful flowers! Great location. You are in the center of everything. And just 10 mins by walk from ADO station. So when you arrive from Cancun airport you don't need a taxi. 7eleven, farmacy, Banorte bank with ATMs - everything is few steps away. Always helpful guys on the reception. And of course I should mention the owners of this hotel - they are nice couple, very friendly, always trying to improve their small paradise called Jungla Caribe. Thank you very much! I really love your place and I'm going to back soon, sure I will book your hotel again! :)
Jungla Caribe es el mejor in Playa del Carmen!
Muchas gracias! Hasta luego!
Saludos de mi parte a todos!

• Stayed October 2012
Montréal
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I am back from a 7 nights stay at Hotel Jungla Caribe and I can't wait to go back there. The staff and the management of this hotel is really great. I had been welcome like a king and been treated that same way the whole week long. The decor is outstanding and when you are inside the garden you feel peace and tranquility. The hotel is located on Quinta Avenida which is a great location right in the center of everything, restaurants, boutiques, souvenir shops, grocery store, banks, etc.......... Although 5th Ave (Quinta Avenida) is very busy and sometimes noisy, I never felt any of that inside the hotel. I had a suite and felt like home there. Whenever I had to ask for anything in this hotel, people were listening and helping. Thanks to all the staff, I wont name any of them cause I would not like to forget anyone. One day, the room had not been cleaned for whatever reason ! I told the front desk and immediatly they took care of it. The suite is very big, lot's of space and the only negative thing was the air conditionning that was noisy. Honestly, just need to put earplugs. If I go back to Playa del Carmen, I am going back to Jungla Caribe Hotel, I was looking for great staff, great management, those things are really important and I found it and found Paradise !!!!!!! The gardens, the swimming pool, the patio, the terrace, everything is perfect for a great time and great vacations.

Room Tip: suites are in the back of the hotel with patio and a great view on the garden
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo