When checking out a hotel I always read the bad reviews first. It was disheartening to read some of the things which I found because this was our 3rd stay at La Tortuga and it was wonderful as ever. The staff, pool, and grounds are always terrific. As are all of our experiences with the rooms.
Each time we've stayed we go up in class. Our visit in December 2012 was in a junior suite and we were very pleased to pay the extra dollars.
If there is a criticism about the junior suite it is only that our view from the jacuzzi level was not great due to the neighboring buildings, but at night who cares?
We were also surprised that the jacuzzi was basically a big bathtub that had to be filled each time with hot tap water. It typically took about 30 minutes to get enough hot water in the tub, but once we realized that we just adjusted our usage. Otherwise the tub was cleaned daily and a nightly pleasure under the stars.
The only thing which was less perfect from the past was the restaurant. The day we arrived we were invited to a party at the restaurant to welcome its new management. This was a nice gesture and we appreciated the hospitality. However, in honesty, if the hor d'ouvres which were served that night were a sampling of the new management's cuisine we would not recommend a meal there, although we only ate their comp'ed breakfast this trip.
Otherwise, the complimentary breakfasts were great. However, before the new management, hotel guests could choose from a very large menu of food items for breakfast. The chicken burritos were always my favorite from past stays. But now there are only 3 or 4 basic breakfast choices for comp'ed hotel guests. Still a bargain with no criticisms about quality or portion sizes. But on the first morning I confess feeling disappointed about the much shorter menu.
Overall, we still find La Tortuga to be our favorite hotel anywhere for its design, thoughtful touches, staff, location, and prices.
And the only thing I can say about complaints regarding the comp'ed passes to Mamitas Beach Club not being honored is that those people must have gotten there too late in the day. We typically hit the beach between 10:30-11am to ensure front row seats to the water, and this last time it was just a few days before Christmas so Playa was packed with tourists. Never a problem with Mamitas or their reception of the La Tortuga passes. And we also still find Mamita's to be the best beach and beach club in all of Playa.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, two blocks from the beach and just around the corner from 5th Avenue. Air conditioning, Cable TV, telephone, fan, private bath or shower, bathroom amenity kit, safety box, hair dryer, coffee maker,minibar. Junior Suites and Superior Junior suites feature a Jacuzzi indoors or Rooftop, bath robes, slippers, flat screen tv. Spa services, Pool bar, happy hour, wifi, onsite restaurant Como Como Osteria Mediterranea, solarium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your La Tortuga Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Tortuga Hotel And Spa
- La Tortuga Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- La Tortuga Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel La Tortuga
- La Tortuga Hotel & Spa Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen