We stayed at the hotel for two weeks and had overall a good stay. The best thing about the hotel is definitely its location, right in the city but still quiet and relaxing. We had carefully read through a bunch of reviews on TripAdvisor before we chose La Tortuga as our accommodation during our Mexico vacation, so we had a good idea of what we would expect. Most did well with what we read but here are some of our personal reflections.
Pros: Location is perfect, minutes to the beach and near the center of the La quinta avenida, the city's tourist artery. Very friendly staff who do their best to help with your requirements. Wonderful pool area without sun, sun however, you can get a less appealing sundeck. The breakfast is approved but you only have three options to choose from and for two weeks it becomes in the end a bit monotonous. The order and cleanliness of the rooms and the hotel is of a high standard, plenty of staff to ensure that the pool area is always in top condition.
Negative: The rooms (at least the one we had 311) is very small, we had only a small closet with no shelves and no dresser or other place to put clothes in. The rooms are also quite worn and equipment such as TV, shower, air conditioning is on its last chorus. There is also a small annoyance to the cleanliness of your room can take place from 12 noon till 5:30 pm so you can at any time be visited by the cleaning staff. The guy who checks if you used the mini bar in your room can appear from 8 o'clock in the morning to at any time during the day. One small complaint on just our room is on our balcony was a palm tree to grow into, which meant we had 0 percent chance of overlooking the beautiful courtyard and pool area.
But as I said, overall experience was still positive, with a few small steps it can be made even better. We heard a few evenings a little noise from the Coco Bongo but nothing that disturbed our night's sleep, it was surprisingly quiet even though the hotel is located right in the city center.
We could imagine to stay there again if we can manage to get a slightly larger room with at least a dresser to put our clothes in.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, two blocks from the beach and just around the corner from 5th Avenue. Air conditioning, Cable TV, telephone, fan, private bath or shower, bathroom amenity kit, safety box, hair dryer, coffee maker,minibar. Junior Suites and Superior Junior suites feature a Jacuzzi indoors or Rooftop, bath robes, slippers, flat screen tv. Spa services, Pool bar, happy hour, wifi, onsite restaurant Como Como Osteria Mediterranea, solarium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your La Tortuga Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Tortuga Hotel And Spa
- La Tortuga Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- La Tortuga Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel La Tortuga
- La Tortuga Hotel & Spa Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen