La Tortuga has a lovely setting (pool & landscaping) and provides good service and a central location. However, our overall impression was that we did not receive great value for what we paid, and more importantly did not have an overly relaxing stay while at the hotel due to the noise factor.
We stayed in a Standard Plus room on the 10th Ave side which faced onto a busy thoroughfare with non stop traffic noise- too noisy to sit on balcony or open door for fresh air. For two days there was hours of power washing noise from the street, and the last couple of days, the smell of chemicals as plant pots were being painted in the hotel. I had specifically indicated prior to booking that we wanted a quiet place to stay so this was particularly disappointing and would have booked elsewhere if I'd know about the noise. Alot of the noise seems to be out of the hotels control, however disclosure that we would be staying next to a major street would have been appreciated.
The front desk was able to move us for two nights to a room facing the pool where we were unfortunately subjected to club noise from approx midnight to 4:30am- walls vibrating - not relaxing at all. Was nice during the day however to sit on the balcony and look out at the pool.
As other reviewers have mentioned the rooms are quite small, and while not overly impressive, they have some nice features, and are kept very clean as is the entire hotel. My husband appreciated the great water pressure in shower! The restaurant on site provides good meals at reasonable prices. If your plan is to go to Mamitas (free passes) it's a brisk 15 minute walk, and our experience was you had to be there by 9:00am in order to get chairs/palapas. The hotel pool is more of a "dipping" type of pool, not really for swimming. We had a couple of enjoyable days sitting around the pool when there wasn't noise from repairs being done.
Overall, not a bad hotel, room for improvements like anything, need to get the noise situation resolved somehow. Don't think the value was there for what we paid. Would book a condo or a hotel closer to beach in a quieter setting for a future trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, two blocks from the beach and just around the corner from 5th Avenue. Air conditioning, Cable TV, telephone, fan, private bath or shower, bathroom amenity kit, safety box, hair dryer, coffee maker,minibar. Junior Suites and Superior Junior suites feature a Jacuzzi indoors or Rooftop, bath robes, slippers, flat screen tv. Spa services, Pool bar, happy hour, wifi, onsite restaurant Como Como Osteria Mediterranea, solarium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your La Tortuga Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Tortuga Hotel And Spa
- La Tortuga Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- La Tortuga Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel La Tortuga
- La Tortuga Hotel & Spa Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen