“Ab fab!!”

Ranked #50 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
USA
“Ab fab!!”
Reviewed 9 March 2009

Absolutly the BEST property in Playa Del Carmen! We have traveled to Playa for years, and have stayed everywhere from the ALL INCLUSIVE resorts to the modest properties along 5th ave. PLEASE trust me when I tell you.... don't hesitate to book this property! The entire staff is extremely helpful with the entire booking process. I was a travel agent for 4+ years, and they handled everything from the transfers to the luggage. Everything they stated, they delivered!!! I will stay @ the La Tortuga next Feb 2010, room # 219 is worth the extra $ BOOK IT!!!!

1 Thank MOMMA69
LaTortugaG, Guest Relations Manager at La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 February 2017
Dear Valued Client,
Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us. It makes us really proud and happy to read a review like yours. For us to have such loyal customers like yourself and to receive such encouraging and positive words is the best reward, for all our hard work and attention to detail and your comments means that we are truly achieving that La Tortuga Hotel & Spa is renowned for and that is exceeding all expectations of our clients.
On behalf of management and staff, we wish you all the best for the future and we sincerely hope to have the opportunity in welcoming you back to La Tortuga Hotel & Spa soon. Keep in touch with us through our facebook page, there you can learn about all our promotions and free upgrades for our repeat clients…

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Portland, OR
Reviewed 7 March 2009

We stayed at La Tortuga February 27-March 3. I picked this hotel based on other Trip Advisor reviews and I was not disappointed. I had originally booked our vacation at a large all-inclusive, but decided that a small, boutique hotel was more our style and changed the reservation. Best decision I could have made!

La Tortuga is small, with great service, a friendly staff, and a wonderful ambiance. We really enjoyed the daily happy hour from 5-6 pm (2 for 1 drinks) - many hotel guests come down to the bar to chat, relax, sit by the pool, and share stories. We found the other hotel guests to be very pleasant, down-to-earth, and friendly. Most of the other guests were young (20's) or middle-aged (30's-50's) couples, although I did see 1 family of 3 (with an older daughter) and a pair of best friends in their 20's. It's definitely not a crazy "party" crowd, just really cool people.

It looks exactly like the photos on the website. We stayed in a swim-up room, which was great, although we didn't use the pool much. It was VERY cold, but we did take advantage of the hot tub one evening.

Another great thing about this hotel is the complimentary breakfast. It's so great to wake up, throw on some clothes, and leisurely walk down to a delicious breakfast by the pool. The staff is friendly and the food is very good. You get 1 free juice, 1 coffee, and 1 entree per person (you have your choice of about 15 entrees ranging from fruit & yogurt to pancakes to eggs benedict to omelets).

The location is outstanding. When I first booked the hotel, I was concerned that it wasn't directly on the beach. But after arriving, I didn't care at all! The indoor courtyard is beautiful, and the Mamitas Beach Club is a short 10-minute walk. Plus, the neighbors in the room next to us told us that the public beach in Playa isn't very nice because fisherman use it to bring in their catch, so using the private beach clubs is the way to go anyway. The hotel is 1 block from 5th Avenue - every night we wandered down 5th, looking for a place to eat dinner. I could have stayed in Playa for 3 months, eaten at a different restaurant for every meal, and still not have visited all of them. It's great!

To address the music issues expressed by a few others - yes, there is a loud, obnoxious club about 2 blocks away called Coco Bongo. And yes, you can hear the bass at night, but it was faint and wasn't enough to keep us up, or detract from our experience. La Tortuga's location is part of the package - if you want to be close to everything (i.e. 5th Ave), then you get some noise along with it. But it was good noise...the sounds of people out walking around, having fun, enjoying themselves. We didn't find it to be annoying in the least.

If I had to complain about something, it would be the shower. It leaks. Big deal. The pool is too cold. So what?

One last thing - the hotel restaurant, El Bistro, is excellent. It was the best meal we had on our entire vacation (I'll be writing a separate review for this).

If you're looking for an ultra-luxury hotel with all the amenities and room service ona silver platter, this isn't your place. But if you're a chill, low-maitenance person who appreciates good service and a relaxing enviornment, you'll love it. Overall, La Tortuga exceeded my expectations and when we return to Playa (hopefully soon), we will definitely stay at La Tortuga again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TrilliumOR
Los Angeles
Reviewed 5 March 2009

I usually don't write reviews, only read them, but I feel like I have to write one this time! I chose this Hotel because of all the good comments thru the years, my girlfriend and I had the best time. This Hotel is perfectly located, just around the corner from all the action, and yet a spot of tranquility. Our room had everything we could ask for, and more.
The beautiful garden and pool scenery we saw each morning from our balcony made our wake up even more relaxing than ever, and the delicious included breakfast gave us a perfect start for a day at the beach. Dinner at El Bistro was also excellent.
The staff is really, really helpful, from the maids, to Bernardo and Fidel and Daniel at the pool bar. Anna and Jessica at reservations gave us quick and kind replies to all our emails.
We truly loved it, and highly recommend this place ( and hope to be back soon).

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ptiano
Vancouver BC
Reviewed 5 March 2009

La Tortuga has a lovely setting (pool & landscaping) and provides good service and a central location. However, our overall impression was that we did not receive great value for what we paid, and more importantly did not have an overly relaxing stay while at the hotel due to the noise factor.

We stayed in a Standard Plus room on the 10th Ave side which faced onto a busy thoroughfare with non stop traffic noise- too noisy to sit on balcony or open door for fresh air. For two days there was hours of power washing noise from the street, and the last couple of days, the smell of chemicals as plant pots were being painted in the hotel. I had specifically indicated prior to booking that we wanted a quiet place to stay so this was particularly disappointing and would have booked elsewhere if I'd know about the noise. Alot of the noise seems to be out of the hotels control, however disclosure that we would be staying next to a major street would have been appreciated.

The front desk was able to move us for two nights to a room facing the pool where we were unfortunately subjected to club noise from approx midnight to 4:30am- walls vibrating - not relaxing at all. Was nice during the day however to sit on the balcony and look out at the pool.

As other reviewers have mentioned the rooms are quite small, and while not overly impressive, they have some nice features, and are kept very clean as is the entire hotel. My husband appreciated the great water pressure in shower! The restaurant on site provides good meals at reasonable prices. If your plan is to go to Mamitas (free passes) it's a brisk 15 minute walk, and our experience was you had to be there by 9:00am in order to get chairs/palapas. The hotel pool is more of a "dipping" type of pool, not really for swimming. We had a couple of enjoyable days sitting around the pool when there wasn't noise from repairs being done.

Overall, not a bad hotel, room for improvements like anything, need to get the noise situation resolved somehow. Don't think the value was there for what we paid. Would book a condo or a hotel closer to beach in a quieter setting for a future trip.

4 Thank paamawagliam
LaTortugaG, Guest Relations Manager at La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 February 2017
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review La Tortuga Hotel & Spa . We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations, and once again I apologise for that, we are working to achieve a better service and your comments are a great help to identify our areas of improvement.

Kindest Regards,
Austin
Reviewed 4 March 2009

The secret to La Tortuga's high ratings on this site is indeed their service. From the check-in staff to the waiters, everyone works to make sure you have an incredible stay. They did not disappoint. Everyone was indeed friendly and all aspects of the hotel seemed to be built around traveler's recommendations. The size was perfect - big enough to have all the amenities you would want, but not so large as to become crowded or overly commercial. The pool was beautiful as were the restaurant and rooms. Perhaps the only real downside were the beds. We stayed in a room where 2 twin beds were pushed together to make a Queen ... not very comfortable sleeping with the seam in the middle.

2 Thank mlgraham
La Tortuga H, Manager at La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 April 2016
Dear Valued Client,
Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us. It makes us really proud and happy to read a review like yours. For us to have such loyal customers like yourself and to receive such encouraging and positive words is the best reward, for all our hard work and obsessive attention to detail and your comments means that we are truly achieving that La Tortuga Hotel & Spa is renowned for and that is exceeding all expectations of our clients.
La Tortuga Hotel & SPA
paris
Reviewed 4 March 2009

just came back from la tortuga, this was my fourth consecutive stay, and as always, i had a great time. the staff ( most of the staff has been here for years!) is amazing, bernardo is the best for tours and general information, he knows all the tips and new places. cocktails at the bar get better every year, and breakfast at el bistro is yummy! i had most dinners there too, delicious new dishes and very convenient prices.
i keep coming back to la tortuga ( and the same room, with the most comfortable bed ever!) because i know i can't go wrong....and it keeps getting better...and will be back again next year!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank abcdef100
minnesota
Reviewed 26 February 2009

I just wanted to experience this place. The place that get's such great ratings. I would say what I liked best was the absolutley wonderful service from the bellboy and staff. I wish I knew his name, but he would bend over backwards for you. He emptied our car and brought lots of luggage to our two rooms and then parked our car a block away in the ramp for us. Then upon check out he retrieved our car and packed up everything in there better than we could have done. I gave him my brand new boogie board that I never even got to use. (and a tip)
The breakfast was another highlight. It was very good. Service was a tad slow, as they were short staffed. But it was fine.
I was quite disappointed with the room though. I know that I only got a standard room, but it was still $180.00 and I thought it was very dungeon like and worn around the edges. The "patio" was more like a prison cell. Unattractive. I just prefer to be on the beach. Been here/done that.
Mosquito Blue gave us a tour and that place is gorgeous. Still not on the beach, but I think it could give La Tortuga a run for it's money.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family