This is probably the most beautiful ‘hotel’ I have ever stayed in. I use the word hotel advisidly as it’s not like any other I have been to. There are some things I didn’t like but the beauty of the setting and the almost total tranquility made up for them.
The hotel is made up of many cabanas and a few rooms set it sandy gardens, imaculately kept. Many, including ours have views of the Caribean. Our room was delightful, two large beds, with a good shower room. There are no phones or TV’s, which for once I found rather nice. Two hammocks hung outside our door on the small veranda, beyond that, the sea.
Breakfast, next to one of the two pools, overlooking the sea, was great, very American, but the waiters were, really, a bit thick and it’s pot luck whether you get what you ask for, better to take the buffet.
The evening meal, which we only took once, was in another restaurant at the back of the resort, buffet style and fine, but not great and why not use the nicer one overlooking the sea?
Besides the waiters, well most of them, the staff were great and very helpful, especially the concierge, bar staff make a real effort as well, I'm now addicted to Pina Colada's.
Playa Del Carmen is OK but at the end of the evening it was lovely to get back to our lovely room.
A small piece of paradise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen