My wife and I spent our honeymoon at Mahekal Beach Resort.
The grounds for the resort were very impressive. There was lots of staff throughout the stay, all of them working very hard to maintain a very clean, and well kept property. We stayed in the Deluxe Penthouse. The room was comfortable and had a fantastic view. The palapa roof was a nice touch - until it rained hard. The smell of the roof drying out wasn't overly pleasant.
The staff were quite friendly and helpful. We had a misunderstanding relating to our transfers, but did not become an issue because I was expecting it would be a problem. They were very receptive to any requests for information or help.
The food and beverage staff were especially helpful and friendly.
My only complaint for the hotel would be their charging for water, juice, and pop. 25 pesos for a small bottle of water with dinner seems excessive when you pay $3300.00USD for a weeks stay. But all in all, it was only about $50.00USD at the end of the week, and hardly worth complaining about.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen