After countless hours of reading reviews on several hotels from big box over the top luxury hotels to small boutique hotels I finally came to a decision on Mahekal .. And am I glad I did !! I took into consideration to all the negative reviews on this resort from the Mosquitos to the smell of raw sewage & the bad food I came completely prepaid for all of it from an arsenal of bug repellant to air freshners and my own snacks !! But this place by far has surpassed all its good reviews and not once did I ever encounter any of the bad !! The location is incredible & yes I have been to playa on several occasions and can't believe I have never stayed here I stayed in 12 p this is the deluxe penthouse and it was worth every penny I had complete privacy to lounge and lay out in the large sun bed they provide for u this room comes with a frig I was prepared to pay the extra to rent one for the time I was there , but to my surprise it already had one . You are provided with 2 bottles of water a day maid service replenishes you with with a great selection of organic soaps next time I will know not to bring my own, the room also comes with a Bose iPod dock I could lay out relax listen to my music and when I got to hot just jump in the moon shower to cool off and if I wanted a cold refreshment or needed to use the restroom it was all at my dispense !!' I tried breakfast , lunch and dinner all were fantastic I am a Texan and pretty used to authentic Mexican food which is what your getting there .I would really recommend a restaurant just a few steps from Mahekal it's Cueva del chango this place is incredible !!! So fresh everything is locally grown its extraordinary ! All the staff at Mahekal are so warm and welcoming and ready to assist your every need no one is pushy or trying to get you to buy any excursions it's all at your leisure . The beach is superb everything is at your dispense jet ski's a dive shop on site .I booked a deep sea fishing excursion and the captain was there promptly to pick me up . The location of the hotel couldn't be perfect if u want to take a stroll into town to choose from a plethora of incredible restraunts or bars, night life it's a short 2 min walk the hotel itself is tucked away at the end of the street so u are away from all the noise it's the best of all worlds i can't say enough good things about this place if u r on the fence about where to stay choose this one !! It's quiet ,it's safe all staff very attentive very friendly food excellent, location is perfect !! This is the one you won't regret it !!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen