My wife and I enjoyed the resort with our 2 children (4 and 11). The staff was extremely accommodating. The breakfast is nice with something for everyone. We traded our dinner for lunch a the start of the trip and wish had eaten a few more dinners at the resort. 5th Ave is such an easy walk. We also enjoyed getting dinner there as well.
There are some negative reviews. The 3 negative we found to be true but completely over blown was the AC unit, public beach and bugs or ants in the rooms. Our AC was fine except for one night when it made a very loud sound all night. That is the day we did not turn it off when we left for the day. If the AC was turned off for a few hours during the day while at the beach it runs fine and is cold and quiet.
The beach is public. We thought this was great and so did our kids. We met very nice people and were never bothered to buy anything. Not sure why people see this as a negative.
Our room had a few ants each night after dinner. Not sure if they were even ants as they did not have pinchers. We squashed them in 30 seconds and that was the end. The grounds are so lush and natural I am not sure how they could keep them out.
The beach clubs down the beach does get a bit noisy at times. We however were not inconvenienced by this at all.
To sum it up, we will return to the resort next year at roughly the same time of year. The staff is just awesome, nice pools, beach is wide and soft, decent snorkeling off the beach, really fun but not a party scene, and NO Wifi, Phones or TV. We loved it!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Booking.com and TravelUp so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen