“Very Relaxing” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Phoenix, Arizona
“Very Relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

My wife and I enjoyed the resort with our 2 children (4 and 11). The staff was extremely accommodating. The breakfast is nice with something for everyone. We traded our dinner for lunch a the start of the trip and wish had eaten a few more dinners at the resort. 5th Ave is such an easy walk. We also enjoyed getting dinner there as well.

There are some negative reviews. The 3 negative we found to be true but completely over blown was the AC unit, public beach and bugs or ants in the rooms. Our AC was fine except for one night when it made a very loud sound all night. That is the day we did not turn it off when we left for the day. If the AC was turned off for a few hours during the day while at the beach it runs fine and is cold and quiet.

The beach is public. We thought this was great and so did our kids. We met very nice people and were never bothered to buy anything. Not sure why people see this as a negative.

Our room had a few ants each night after dinner. Not sure if they were even ants as they did not have pinchers. We squashed them in 30 seconds and that was the end. The grounds are so lush and natural I am not sure how they could keep them out.

The beach clubs down the beach does get a bit noisy at times. We however were not inconvenienced by this at all.

To sum it up, we will return to the resort next year at roughly the same time of year. The staff is just awesome, nice pools, beach is wide and soft, decent snorkeling off the beach, really fun but not a party scene, and NO Wifi, Phones or TV. We loved it!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

4 Thank John S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

We started planning our 10 year wedding anniversary a long time ago, and on our wish list was to be able to see or hear the ocean from our room, be on a great beach, and a jungle/tropical grounds, dine in open air restaurants, and not have a huge property to walk 10 minutes to get to the beach. Mahekal is perfect! We used Canada Transfers for a private ride to the resort and they were waiting at the airport with our names on a card as soon as we walked out. We traveled carry-on only so we were out of the airport in a hot second. We arrived at Mahekal at 1330 and we pulled up to a beautiful open air lobby that was modern yet with Mexican vibe. We were allowed to see our room before we checked in which was an ocean view palapa 22B. It didn't have a great ocean view but a view nonetheless. 12B would be a better view but it was occupied. Many rooms are under renovation with general cosmetic updates. The construction noise did not bother us. The room was small but worked fine for us. It was a bit musty smelling but the AC worked fine. The hammocks were great to relax in during an afternoon of rain on Wednesday. They supply a hair dryer, natural mosquito spray, aloe vera shower gel, honey scented shampoo and conditioner, coconut lotion, and two types of bar soap. I didn't use the bar soap but the other toiletries were wonderful. They also give you two washcloths daily which was important to us because the last resort we stayed in we could not get them to give us "face cloths". The beds and pillows were much softer than I anticipated and we slept great. I have only had rock hard mattresses and pillows while in Mexico so this was great. On our third day we heard that Penthouse 6P had been open all week so we inquired about an upgrade. Alan at the front desk gave it to us for MUCH less than the advertised price-score! It's next to the public access with great ocean views, breeze, and people watching. The balcony was very large and included two chairs and a lounge bed all with padding. The penthouse was twice the size of a regular room, had double sinks, and the walk in shower with rainshower head had a ledge almost like a shallow bath tub. If you have kids you could plug the drain and use it like a tub. The ocean view room did not have the ledge. If I had a choice though I would try for penthouse 30p next time as it's on the far north side of the resort and a little quieter. We woke up 3 nights to hear people hollering and having a good time at 2am next to the beach access and on the beach. This was the only downside to the resort that I can think of. The breakfast was good with fresh squeezed orange juice, green juice and either watermelon or cantaloupe juice! We ate lunch 5 of the 7 days and it was very good! The mixed meat fajitas and tacos were amazing! La Romana restaurant was closed for renos so all dinners were at the beach restaurant which meant dinner by the pool and ocean which was awesome! The dinner includes buffet for appetizers, salads, and soups and order from the menu your main course. It was ok, but lunch was better. The atmosphere of ocean breezes, waves crashing, and uplit palm trees made it better! Also, if you like coconut, I recommend the ice cream. It was yummy! Free wifi is available in the lobby but you can pick it up at the casa club bar with swings. Happy hour is 5-6 with 2 for 1 pricing. We also picked up the wifi in our penthouse room-bonus! Bikes are available for rent for 40 pesos per hour. Umbrellas are available for use for free. Boli, Edith, Alan and many others were so kind and helpful and speak English very well for us folks that don't speak Spanish well. The pool by the beach was warm and it is 5ft 9 inches deep so you can swim, while the other part is shallower. There is also a hot tub in the middle and a separate small children's pool. I don't know if they are heated in the winter but they were nice and warm in October! Also-kudos to the front desk staff. When I upgraded for 5 of the 7 days, I was charged for 7 days. I know it was an accident and I didn't even pick up on it until Edith told us at check out that I had been charged for 7 days and I would be getting a refund. That speaks of their honesty. We will be back to this hotel and will be recommending it to others!
I want to make a special mention to the security and grounds keepers. Security was very diligent about their job and were not lounging around but always watching for people that didn't belong. Also, the grounds keepers do a great job-they rake between the shrubs and palapas where nobody would ever see, and even broom the sand between the palapas. In the US, you would be laughed at for suggesting someone care for landscaping and grounds to this detail. It was much appreciated by my husband who owns a small landscaping business.
Tips- I packed a $4 Target raft that I spent hours and hours floating on then left it with a Mexican family with kids that were at the beach. There really truly is no bad room location at this resort. Lastly, we walked north of the resort to just north of the Paradisus resort which is about a mile and found a natural cenote that creates a small, emerald green swimming hole then becomes a small river that flows into the ocean. It was beautiful and the water was crystal clear. There were locals swimming there as well. I heard it usually dries up in the winter though. It's easy to find if you are a long beach walker.
If you have any questions message me, I would be glad to answer them!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Ashley F
SocialMahekal, Gerente at Mahekal Beach Resort, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thanks so much for writing such a detailed review, we are glad to read we were the perfect choice for your tenth anniversary. Reading how much you enjoyed your Mahékal stay was very rewarding to us. We will pass on your good comments to the rest of the team.
Thank you again for letting us know how your stay went. We hope your review is helpful to other travelers thinking about where to stay in Playa del Carmen. We look forward to welcome you back to the property once renovation work is finished, to deliver an even better Caribbean experience.

Los Angeles,Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We recently returned from our family vacation at Mahekal Beach Resort and were very happy we chose to return. My husband and I first visited the resort 9 years ago when it was known as Shangri -La Caribe and finally made it back! It took us longer than we thought and were very happy to come back to the simplicity of the resort: the beach, the sunrises, the food, the ambience....simply relaxing.
This time around it was a family vacation with our four year old son. The water is calm and clean and our son truly enjoyed his time when not at the beach in the pool. We were worried we would catch some rain and the first three days was just perfect weather. Wed and Thursday were followed by some rain, but we spent Thursday in Xcaret and it worked out perfectly. The last few days of our stay the sun was out again but the water was not as tranquil due to the rain and wind on Thursday, never the less we enjoyed it. We like this time of year beacuse its not as busy in Playa.
Playa 5th Avenue is walking distance from the resort where you can find many shops,restaurants and bars. Some a bit too pricey. We ate at three restaurants on la 5ta. All great food. Playa del Carmen has grown so much since our visit that we enjoyed the seclusion of the resort even with its close proximity to 5ta Avenida.
I think what contributes to the ambience of this hotel is the staff i.e. Jose, Juan Manuel, Edith, Boli, Alexandra. They were all very cordial and helpful. Staff at Aventura restaurant is great, always a warm welcome at the restaurant or when taking our lunch order under the palapa at the beach. We recommend the Shrimp ceviche with Habanero sauce on the side! The breakfast buffet could be a bit redundantm then again we had breakfast there 8 days. Lunch and dinner were fine. We changed a few of our dinners to lunch on the days we decided to go out to 5ta for dinner. It worked out for us.
I do have to mention we initially stayed at Caribe section beach view palapa room with 2 beds, but the room felt small and personally I think it's in need of some upgrades. The location was good, but we decided to upgrade to an ocean front palapa on our second day. The new room was spacious, it was right in front of the beach and with our four year old it worked out perfectly. Speaking of remodeling there was a section closed off because they are remodeling some palapa rooms. We were not inconvenienced at all by this, but it's good to see they are upgrading the rooms. The rooms don't have phone or TV's and we actually don't mind at all- that's part of the charm of this hotel. We worried a bit that our son would not enjoy the resort and looked into booking all inclusive with kids club type hotels when booking our trip, but were very happy we returned to this particular beach resort. The beach and ambience did not dissapoint and was just like we remembered it. Our son didn't need the TV at all, he enjoyed the great food, beach, pool, and walking to 5ta!
Our stay was from September 28 - October 6th, 2013. We hope to return soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in Palapa #34 Beach front. Great location! Initially we had Caribe section, but the room...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Susanna
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed a week and had a lovely time at Mahekal. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The construction was not at all disruptive, which we found quite remarkable. I very rarely write reviews but I do rely on them and a problem I encountered was frustrating enough that I feel compelled to warn others. We traveled with two small children and were desperate to get some clothes laundered. I would have normally gone into town but we decided to spend the exorbitant amount to send it from the hotel for the necessary convenience. I accepted paying the prices for adult sized clothes but at check out, I saw that they changed the fee and charged me for items I did not have washed. 6 blouses instead of 4 tank tops and 2 t-shirts (toddler size). The cost was more-- enough to warrant a complaint. The resort sided with the laundry company. We had 3 rooms for 7 nights and spent a fortune. I promise you that I did not even bring a single blouse to Mexico. PLUS, these were the clothes of a 2 year old. Cotton t's! I am very disappointed with the resort for not giving me the benefit of the doubt. The laundry service lied - plain and simple. On principle, I am still frustrated. Stay at Mahekal, but DO NOT send your clothes out. I'd hate to see what would happen if it was a more serious discrepancy.
PROS: Location, meals, staff, beach, kid friendly pool, easy parking if you rent a car
CONS: Laundry service, AC was terrible in our room, dinner starts late for small children

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank jojod27
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I understand your frustration regarding the laundry. We believe, that items listed as ‘blouses’ refer to tops, since ‘blusas’ is a general word to describe top clothes in Mexico, and we understand laundry service has a general fee for each piece, whether they are adult or kids size. We apologize for the inconvenience and will double check costs with laundry service, in order to confirm that it is within the standards. We will take into consideration the CONS listed, and appreciate the good comments given to our resort and service. Looking forward to deliver to you the best service on your next visit.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

It was perfect. The staff, the accommodations, the food, the weather, the beach, the town... all of it. I mention the beach was perfect because it was something we hadn't thought of, all beaches are not created equal. We visited some friends at the Valentin and it was one of the worst experiences I have had a resort. In addition to a rude staff, fat rude frat-boy patrons, the actual beach was terrible. Tons of debris in it and the beach was short and not inviting. But Mahekal was perfect. We spent our honeymoon there and there is no way I would consider staying anywhere else. If possible, buy the best room you can. The beach front rooms are really wonderful and worth the extra. I can't stress enough what a find this was for us and how I would have regretted spending my money, time and experience anywhere else. This was exceptional, don't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hartjared
Greetings to California, we were very pleased to note that your honeymoon visit was such a good experience. We appreciate all the good comments, and will pass your message on. We agree that our beach is one of the most beautiful in the region, and we are lucky to have it for our guests to enjoy. Thanks for choosing to stay at Mahékal. Hasta pronto amigos, we hope to welcome you back to our beach paradise in the near future. Maybe to celebrate your anniversary?

Zurich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed for 10 days end of september 2013. We had a very nice and relaxing stay!
The beach is beautiful and one of the nicest in Playa. The whole staff is great! And the layout of the bungalows are also very nice. The location, just at the end of 5th avenue is perfect! And if you are a diver, we can recommend the Cyan-ha dive center located on the beach of Mahékal.
Unfortunately nowhere is stated on the hotel website that big renovation are taking place.BUT according hotel staff, the Mahékal Beach Resort and Las Palapas Resort (next door) are in process of becoming one single resort. For this reason a lot of changes are going on in the office and in the infrastructure. New staff are hired and other get fired. A big part of the Mahékal Resort has been closed off for renovation, which is ok and needed. Unfortunately the renovation work does not only take place in the closed area but also in bungalows which are adjacent to guest bungalows. When asked, even the front office staff did not know exactly which bungalow is actually being worked at.... As stated in other reviews the breakfast/dining room is a bit out of charm and also need renovation. The breakfast buffet also needs a bit of attention (for a "luxury" hotel).
As also stated in other reviews, the air conditioning of the rooms needs to be changed. It had a hard time getting rid of the humidity and was smelling very bad.

As a recap, we loved the hotel and the staff, but we would wait until the renovation and fusion of Las Palapas and Mahékal is over before returning there. You have to expect some more surprise until everything is completed (around mid-2014).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Swissaroundtheworld
Thanks for taking the time to write a review, we are glad to read that you had a relaxing stay and staff was attentive at all times. As you mentioned, the hotel is undergoing extensive renovations, to offer an even better experience to all our guests. At this time we are renovating only 27 of the 121 rooms. The rest of the hotel will be renovated after the winter season, starting on May 2014. We will take into consideration all your comments, and hope you return. We are confident you will be very pleased with the results of our renovation.

Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

We were there Mid September, "the rainy season" and although it was rainy we had a wonderful stay! Every day did have dry times and there was one day with no rain at all. The rain only changed or plans when it came to going to Tulum. Tulum was closed and we got our money back after signing up for the tour and not being able to go.
Mahekal was amazing! Staff were great, everyone! The concierge, the other front desk workers, the waiters, the housekeeping, the spa staff were all helpful and very nice. The food was enjoyably, the atmosphere was calm and laid back and the beach was the cleanest one we saw while walking the strip. Would definitely recommend it to others!

Room Tip: We liked our second floor room, better view and less noise from people walking by.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Greetings to Jerusalem, we love to welcome travelers from all around the world. Glad to read that the rainy season was not an issue for you. Rain can also be refreshing and relaxing, and of course is great to our gardens too. We will share your kind comments to all the team, and hope to welcome you if heading to Playa soon again. Thanks for sharing your ‘mahekal’ experience.