We took the Palapa Garden Dueluxe room, which those are the newest rooms Mahekal has to offer. The room was beautiful, clean and coosy, and altough was close to the club and lobby, it was quite quiet.
The batchroom was clean and the bath facilities were lovely, but the privecy in it is questionable, as the door is not sealed (:
We came to find some peace and quiet and found Mahekal is a great hotel to find it in, BUT please note the beach is public and therefore sometimes not so quiet, and around the pool there are usually kids, so when picking a room take those under consideration.
The breakfest was great, with the richest buffet we had during the entire trip, but rest of the meals the hotel has to offer need some improvement: Dinner was just OK, so we once switched between to lunch (a great option the hotel has to offer), and found that altough lunch menu was better, it was still not something to write home about.
The cocktail bar is great, but the cocktails themselves need some improvement (Mai Tai is not just rum with pineaplle and Sangria is not just cold wine with orange juice).
We also enjoied the spa the hotel has to offer, with massages to both my wife and me. Mine was good but my wife's, a known massage user, said it was by far the b-e-s-t massage she got in years.
The hotel location is great: in the quiet part of town but still close to the main street, so in case you like to find somewhere to eat, drink or do some shopping, you just have 2 minutes walk and you're there.
This is the first resort we were visiting during our trip in Mexico, and thanks to Mahekal's people it's started on the right foot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Hotel.de so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen