My husband and 3 other couples stayed at Shangri-la in February 2009. Our stay was the 4th time visiting this resort and it is amazing! The pictures do not come close to giving you a complete vision of the property. When we thought Shangri-la was going to close (more on that later!), we were so sad to think that all the beautiful landscaping, villas, tiled sidewalks, bar with swings would be leveled. We have been to Mexico and Playa more times than I can count and without a doubt, Shangri-la is the place to stay if you want the perfect beach experience. All it takes is a stroll up and down the beach and you can see for yourself that the beach in front of this resort is where you want to be. The villas on the beach are so rustic and perfect...open the windows, turn on your ceiling fan and let the ocean breezes float through your room. No phone, no tv, no clock - no problem! You will not miss any of them! The morning breakfast is another huge plus becuase you can get any kind of eggs, pancakes to order, not to mention a full buffet of pastries, fruits, ceral, fresh juice, yogurt, granola, etc. etc. The wait staff are so accomodating and they remember your name and they even remember our family from year to year. Sweet, sweet, sweet! The Sunday dinner is the one to stay on property for becuase there is every kind of delicious dish for you to choose from. And again the staff is there to wait on you hand and foot! Plus it is fun when the marachi band comes around to play songs...it really brings you into their culture and it's an innocent, family-orientated kind of entertainment. It will surely bring a smile to your face! Don't miss the happy hour at the swing bar! Great way to start your night before walking down to 5th Avenue and experiencing all the fun bars and restuarants Playa has to offer!
Now back to the closing of this resort. Just today we received a postcard in the mail saying that they are not closing, will improve their services and offering incentives to book. So we are thrilled and will be back! Don't wait! Book today for the experience you will always remember!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Ebookers, Holiday Gems, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen