“Beautiful place”

Mahekal Beach Resort
Ranked #27 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 10 December 2009

I stayed here with my partner in December, on our first trip to Playa del Carmen. there were so many hotels to choose from before we came, but I am so glad we picked Shangri La. We were dropped at our hotel after a tour to Chichen ITza, and stopped at all the big luxury resorts along the way. After each big resort my partner and i thought 'oh, our hotel wont be anything like these ones'. And it wasnt - and we were so glad. It doesnt have the big resort feel to it that the other hotels packed together in the centre of town have. Staff are lovely and helpful and remember your name. It is set on a beautiful stretch of beach slightly out of the crowded beaches of the main town, but is still an easy 5-10 minute walk to the centre. The restaurant and food were great, and the best thing - each room comes with its own hammocks. Fantastic place - if we come back to Playa will definately be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 December 2009

Another great trip! My daughter and I love this place. The one difference we noticed this time is that it was like a ghost town the first few days we were there! Don't know if it was the "hurricane" (which ended up being almost nothing), or the economy, or what. We have always visited during November, so I realize it's off season, but still seemed very quiet. Other than that, we noticed no big change since the new owners took over. We were very excited to again see our favorite guys in the restaurant... Manuel, Rogelio and Ruben. Food was fantastic as usual, although they did change the ordering process. It used to be that it was a buffet or they gave you the choice of a couple different options. Now, they have an actual menu with a great variety of choices or on certain nights a buffet. Boli at the front desk is always fantastic, so sweet and helpful!

One note regarding the hurricane- for 2 nights the sea was pretty big. In fact the first night I was a little concerned about going to sleep d/t water coming up to and past our unit. It was nice to see the security out there ALL night with their flashlights keeping an eye on the water!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Kathy O
Reviewed 4 December 2009

We were here on our honeymoon and had never traveled to the East coast of Mexico before....we loved the sand and surf, quite a change from the west coast of Mexico....Everyone at the resort was so accomodating, our room was simple, but very clean, the food in the restaraunt was very good...have the garlic shrimp for lunch or dinner, you won't be disappointed! The location was fabulous, and there was always security guards roaming the grounds....All in all it was truly a vacation to remember! We will return again someday! Soon I hope!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JodieVancouverB_C_
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Love this place, Boli and everyone else who works here are great. They try to do everything they can to please you and make your vacation great. Food was great. Breakfast and Dinner were included but not your drinks. We went to Wal-Mart bought our own water to Dinner. Coffee and different types of juices were included with the Breakfast. You are about 15 min walk form 5th ave and 10 mins walk down the beach to the famous Mamitas Beach. Very relaxing place to stay. Can't wait to go back. This is my fourth year going to Playa del Carmen, this is my favorite hotel so far.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luvwarmH2O
Reviewed 12 October 2009

The dinner selections were meh but other than that, this place fantastic. We stayed in one of the beach front bungalows and couldn't have been happier with our stay there. The staff were friendly and the accommodations were stellar. I thought the beach would be busier as it is located near a public access but it wasn't at all. The breakfasts were really good and the resort is within walking distance of downtown Playa del Carmen.

I hope to be able to stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank charcole1
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I visited this hotel for a week in December for a destination wedding. I loved it! I had never been to Mexico, and this was such a great experience. The hotel itself is comprised of two level buildings (one guest room is on the first level, another guest room is on the second level) and beachfront bungalos. We stayed in a garden room, and it was big enough to fit three people comfortably. The rooms really have no frills at all--it's just a couple of beds, a desk, and a chair--there are no TVs, telephones, or clocks. I thought I wouldn't be able to survive without these things, but it was actually really nice! The only problem is that a clock would have been nice to have an alarm wake me up in time for breakfast (breakfast and dinner are included in the rates, but the breakfast ends at 10:00 am, I think). The bathrooms were spacious, and I loved the tiling details throughout. My brother and his wife stayed in a beachfront bungalo and it was really cool! It was larger than our room and a bit nicer, but still didn't have any frills, which was fine because you really don't need anything when the beach and ocean are literally right outside your door!

The breakfasts at the resort were the same almost every day---a waiter took your "main" order (waffles, french toast, omlette, etc.) and then you could go to an all you can eat buffet for side items that included hash browns (DELICIOUS!!!!!!), pastries, bacon, sausage, fruit, and toast. Coffee and fresh squeezed orange juice were included. We were on our own for lunch. That was fine with me because I usually pigged out so much during breakfast that I wasn't hungry until dinner. There's also a Walmart a short cab ride away, so we stopped there on our second day to pick up some snacks to tide us over throughout the day. Dinners were really nice and it was obvious that they put alot of effort into them. The waitstaff was GREAT! They did everything with gusto and seemed to truly take pride in their work. I can't say enough great things about them. The dinners were good but I was not in love with them. Usually, we were given 2-3 choices for main dishes, and a couple of days there was a buffet, which was awesome! A couple of days they also had a mariachi group that went table to table singing requests. While I wasn't crazy about the food at every dinner, the attentive staff and fun atmosphere made up for it. One thing that I should mention is that while the hotel provides breakfast and dinner, drinks are not included. My boyfriend usually drinks Coke with his dinner, and he was charged for it. I understand not including alcohol in the all-inclusive price, but I think at the very least, sodas should have been included.

I also want to mention that while I love the waitstaff at the hotel, I did not really love the front desk staff. They were pretty slow and just didn't seem nearly as hospitable as the waitstaff.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel, especially for people who want a vacation that is super relaxing. There wasn't much going on at night, and it was just completely laid back, which I loved.

By the way, the wedding there was gorgeous and this was the best trip I have ever taken. I really will NEVER forget it!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank JennyR0620
Reviewed 3 October 2009

I'm shocked at how highly this hotel has been rated in recent months. For the amount my husband and I paid (150 USD excl tax in October) we expected much more considering this is not an all inclusive hotel (the hotel offers a European plan that includes bfast and dinner) and considering higher end chains were charging just as much during this period. We initially planned to stay 2 nights but left after 1 night and got a lower rate at the Omni in Puerto Aventuras where we had our own jacuzzi and balcony.

Below are our impressions.

Bad
1. No TV, no phone, no iron/ironing board, no fridge, no internet. Basically, no amenities.
2. No comforters on the beds - just a blanket over sheets.
3. Many aunts crawling around the room.
4. Weak air conditioning.
5. Construction - jack hammer next door started at 8:30 AM
6. Rooms are very sparsely decorated. Overall, property feels like a lodge, complete w/ table tennis in main bar area.

Good
1. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Management was quite nice about returning our money for the 2nd night which we had prepaid at the desk.
2. Proximity to main street. However, I should note that wasnt a big selling point for us since it also meant the beach area is open to the public.
3. The hotel gives guests the option to transfer dinner (included w/ room price) to lunch should guests choose to dine out for dinner instead.

As we left after one night, we can't comment on the quality of food.

If the rate at Shangri La had been half of what we paid, we would have been more understanding of the quality but we thought the value was not there for the price, esp. during this low season.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank pibb1122