“Shangri-la Caribe fabulous find!”

Mahekal Beach Resort
Ranked #27 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Twinsburg, OH
“Shangri-la Caribe fabulous find!”
Reviewed 24 May 2006

My family and I visited Mexico for the first time last June. I found the Shangri-la Caribe hotel listed in one of my travel books and on the web. It sounded appealing because it wasn't just another oversized all-inclusive where you have to fight the crowds and get up at the crack of dawn to reserve your beach chair. On the contrary, we found such a wonderful, charming oceanfront get-a-way that almost one year later, I can't stop thinking about this place and count the days until I can viisit again. We stayed in an oceanfront bungalow with our own little porch and hammocks. We fell asleep to the sounds of the sea every night! The breakfast buffet was memorable...a wonderful assortment of fresh fruit, fresh watermelon and canteloupe juice, delicious made-to-order vanilla pancakes, eggs, omlets and a variety of pastries, cereals, yogurt and breakfast breads. My husband and I travelled with two teenagers (ages 13 and 15), so they were a little apprehensive about going to a hotel with no TV. They were just fine without it! We painted pottery, played pool and went into town (5th Ave.) every day. One day it rained so we took the kids to the movies. We also enjoyed the dinners. My husband and I are great cooks so we are a bit particular with what we eat. The Mexican fiesta on Sunday was a great party! The staff was very friendly and can't do enough to accommodate you. The one thing they should think about providing the in the room is a refrigerator. We followed the advice of another Trip-Advisor reviewer and brought a cooler on wheels. The beach at this hotel was spectacular. Very, very clean and no seaweed. Just beautiful white sand and crytal clear turquoise water. I could go on and on with this review, but I'll stop with this comment. "You won't be disappointed with the Shangrila-Caribe!!!!!!!!!"

14 Thank lizajane67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 15 May 2006

We stayed at this hotel for four days and already are planning our return trip. Unlike many of the hotels in Playa, this one has a great beach that seems more private than the rest. The bungalos are well maintained and give you the sense of being on your own little beach. We took our four month old baby, and she was able to sleep every night in peace and quiet. We were able to take her everywhere around the hotel in a stroller without a problem. The best bungalos are those with a beachfront view, and those that are free standing units (single rooms). The food is good. A nice breakfast buffet and friendly staff. The facility nearly misquito free when compared to other hotels we visited. The hotel is nicely situated at the start of the "new" fifth avenue and there are a lot of trendy stores and restaurants within walking distance. We got the transport from the airport through the hotel and thought it was a great service. The staff are helpful and pleasant. I was a bit annoyed by the assualt by time-share agents you receive when you walk through the lobby and by the noise of the nearby construction, but both were minor irritations and not enough to turn me off. I would recommend this hotel to anyone with a family or a couple looking to stay somewhere rommantic.

• Stayed May 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 May 2006

My husband and I were there for 5 nights for our one-year anniversary and couldn't have been happier with it. We stayed in the garden view cabanas becasue the others were full, and we were very pleasantly surprised by how beautiful and close to the water our room was (33A). It felt so private, yet the place was pristine. The grounds are manicured magnificently and the staff gracious and helpful. We walked into town (20 minute walk) and checked out the other places we'd considered staying (Blue Parrot and El Deseo) and knew we'd made the right decision. One thing-- don't go to the tourist desk on the side of the lobby-- we asked for info on a day trip to Chichen Itza and were told we'd go for free if we looked at condos they had for sale. Hate that. That being my only complaint, we had a wonderful experience. Highly recommended.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 May 2006

This is a great place to stay! Everything was perfect, from the gorgeous beach, 2 big pools, to the ping pong tables. Everyone can find something to enjoy! We loved it!

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed 28 April 2006

When my fiance and I arrived at Shangri La, we were initally ecstatic. We had reservations for a Garden view 'caribe section' bungalow. I had tried to reserve a nicer room but this type of room was the only available. The grounds of the resort were beautiful and the beach was memorizing and certainly not too congested. The hammocks on the porch were relaxing, but not very private.

There were a few things I was surprised about...the hot tub's jets were all broken, making the hot tub less than enjoyable. This problem was not fixed during our 7 day stay and I suspect will never be. I'm surprised a resort of this caliber would negelct the issue...Also, we had a huge bug problem in our bungalow. I was certainly understanding of this considering the bungalows have thatched roofs and sit on piles of sand, however, every day our bathroom floor and shower walls were covered in little mounds of ants. I also noticed quite a few other little bugs crawling in and out of the small cracks in the walls. I was moderately bothered by this but I can see how many people would be severely unhappy with sharing their room with a diverse community of bugs 24/7. And the bugs did get bigger; one evening as I was looking for something in my suitcase, I felt something land on the back of my neck. I brushed my neck off, only to watch a large cockroach come falling off of me. Now this definitely did disgust/disturb me. Fortunately, it was an isolated incident, as I didn't meet any more cucarachas the rest of our trip. No refrigerador is also quite inconvenient in hot weather, as you need to drink plenty of water and the hotel's water is not purified. As everyone else has already said again and again, breakfasts are great and dinners are really just so-so. If you can afford it I would reccomend exploring the town each evening for a place to have dinner. My fiance and I found that the further from Avenida 5 that we got, the cheaper, more authentic and more delicious the restaurants were.

I am excited to go back to Playa at the end of the year, however, I'm not so sure I want to stay at Shangri La again. It would certainly be nice to stay somewhere that had the conveniences of a telephone, fridge, and bugless atmosphere. Although the beach at Shangri La may be the best on Playa so I guess you have to weigh your priorties. Shangri la is relaxing and rustic(perhaps a little too rustic) so I will be looking around to see if there is a place that has a comparable beach as well as a little modern convenience... Although I'm not so sure if this exists... If anyone has any suggestions or questions: r.vincent@wayne.edu

13 Thank RobynV
Reviewed 25 April 2006

This hotel was the most amazing place I have ever been. The food was SO yummy, the staff incredible! We loved our room and the beauty that surrounded us. I would highly recommend Shangri-la Caribe to anyone wanting a relaxing, soul feeding experience. The friendliness of the staff was suprizing- everyone there wanted nothing more than to please us and make us more comfortable. The waiters were great- they were all so welcoming and fun. The food was really good. I had read a few reviews that said it was just ok- but I would have to disagree- I thought it was all wonderful. Do not hesitate when booking here. You would have to impossible to impress if you didn't love it here. I will definitley be back.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed 20 April 2006

I was looking for a perfect place to take my boyfriend for his 30th birthday and found it at the Shangri La Caribe. We were there three nights and we have returned completely refreshed! We had an amazing time and this place could not have been better! I found and picked Shangri La from the glowing reviews on TripAdvisor and I was not disappointed at all. Everything in the reviews were right on - from the friendly staff to the great beach and the laid back, stress-free ambiance.

We had room 31B which is a second story room in the Caribe section with an ocean and pool view. It was also steps from the bar. It was a little noisy at times from the kids playing in the pool but it was never an annoyance. The rooms were basic, not fancy, but they were terrific. Beds were hard like other people have said but we did not find them uncomfortable at all. The pillows were great. Turning in your beach towel every day was a non-issue. Breakfasts were very good. Even though dinner is included, we went in to town every night for dinner which was fun. Had great dinners at Babes Noodle House (hip and fun) and Yaxche (elegant Mayan) and had not great sushi at Sushi Tlan. I would stay away from there. All restaurants were on 5th Avenue.

We really enjoyed an afternoon horse back riding and snorkeling at Punto Venado. The horses were very well taken care of and the guides could not have been nicer.

We were there over Easter weekend and I think it's worth mentioning that it is Sagrada Santa a.k.a. Mexican Holiday Weekend and there were many locals on the beach. The new road does lead right on to the beach which is a little crazy. It didn't make much of a difference to us at all but on Monday when they all went back to work, the beach was super quiet.

I have travelled extensively in the Caribbean and have stayed at some of the nicest hotels in the world and will say that this was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable times I have ever had. I just hope that they don't try to change anything. It's absolutely perfect the way it is!

5 Thank Suzannah_F