My family and I visited Mexico for the first time last June. I found the Shangri-la Caribe hotel listed in one of my travel books and on the web. It sounded appealing because it wasn't just another oversized all-inclusive where you have to fight the crowds and get up at the crack of dawn to reserve your beach chair. On the contrary, we found such a wonderful, charming oceanfront get-a-way that almost one year later, I can't stop thinking about this place and count the days until I can viisit again. We stayed in an oceanfront bungalow with our own little porch and hammocks. We fell asleep to the sounds of the sea every night! The breakfast buffet was memorable...a wonderful assortment of fresh fruit, fresh watermelon and canteloupe juice, delicious made-to-order vanilla pancakes, eggs, omlets and a variety of pastries, cereals, yogurt and breakfast breads. My husband and I travelled with two teenagers (ages 13 and 15), so they were a little apprehensive about going to a hotel with no TV. They were just fine without it! We painted pottery, played pool and went into town (5th Ave.) every day. One day it rained so we took the kids to the movies. We also enjoyed the dinners. My husband and I are great cooks so we are a bit particular with what we eat. The Mexican fiesta on Sunday was a great party! The staff was very friendly and can't do enough to accommodate you. The one thing they should think about providing the in the room is a refrigerator. We followed the advice of another Trip-Advisor reviewer and brought a cooler on wheels. The beach at this hotel was spectacular. Very, very clean and no seaweed. Just beautiful white sand and crytal clear turquoise water. I could go on and on with this review, but I'll stop with this comment. "You won't be disappointed with the Shangrila-Caribe!!!!!!!!!"
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen