3,605 results
All reviews shangri la caribe half board fuego restaurant las olas palapa style garden view breakfast and dinner las palapas palapa roof ocean front infinity pool ping pong fifth avenue yogurt palm trees the wait staff ceviche
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We've been to this hotel many times, starting when it was first the Shangri-La, back when Playa wasn't so packed with tourists and there wasn't a shopping mall and before the big all-inclusive resorts. We loved the hotel and we loved the merger with the hotel next door and patiently awaited the renovations, which we thought were perfect. We were fine with the food visit we splurged for a beachfront casita, and while we loved it, it was creepy to us the way it was right next to the public access road and strangers at all times of day and night would come onto our private porch, and also crowd the beach right up to the walls of our casita. Zero sense of privacy. All these people eventually got shooed away Mahekal's security team, even in the middle of the night when they teenagers came and drank on our porch. I no longer felt safe in that casita, but we stuck it out. Food in the newer restaurant was very good. But the killer was the horrible beach club next door, Mamita's. Unpredictably, it blasts out a thumping horrible, loud beat that drowns out a lot of the nature sounds we were there for (birds, wind in the palms, waves). We had earplugs, but it did not help. Mamita's has ruined our favorite place and we will not be going back. It was great while it lasted! It will be hard to find another beach place anywhere that had Mahekal's great casita design and reasonably priced breakfast/dinner packages.

Room tip: no good rooms anymore, the Mamita's disco beat infiltrates everything
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank marshmallowpie123
ItzePerez, Social Media & Marketing Manager at Mahekal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear marshmallowpie123,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience about your stay at Mahekal Beach Resort.

I am sorry that your overall experience did not meet your expectations, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. Please rest assured that the Directors have been notified of the situation to prevent any future occurrence.

We appreciate you are sharing your concerns, and I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you during a future stay.

Reviewed 15 January 2019 via mobile

We had a great time at this oasis in Playa Del Carmen. What a beautiful property. I had booked the smallest room type - garden view double which would have been fine, except we were traveling w our 12 year old son so extra space was definitely needed. The second morning I asked the front desk if they had any rooms available to upgrade and they gave me keys to the most beautiful ocean view king bungalow. It was so breathtaking and had room for a rollaway that we decided to take it. They did warn us it was very close to the Mamitas beach club that is just down the way and you can hear there music pretty loud until around 7pm - but there was a chance that on Saturday night if they have a private event that will be loud until very late. Since there wasn't anything posted by beach club - we decided to take our chances. The toiletry kit in the room also included earplugs which was pretty funny. Thank goodness Saturday night was very quiet. Friday night they did have a wedding right outside our room - but it was actually lovely to watch from our patio and they wrapped up by 11. I would say if you are traveling w small children or just really like quiet you need to be very specific as there are rooms interior to the resort that are very quiet like our original garden view.

We did the half board - breakfast and lunch or dinner depending on how we felt and we did both. Was nice to have the flexibility to mix it up depending on how we felt or whether we went on an afternoon excursion. The breakfast at both restaurants were fantastic. The fresh juices and pastries very tasty. The traditional egg dishes did not disappoint - everything was just right. Lunches were good either by the beach/pool or restaurant. Ceviche and tacos were delicious and fresh. We had dinner one night at Fuego which was ok - but I think they can make some simpler dishes. I enjoyed dinner at the buffet in the larger restaurant on the traditional Mexican night. Everything was very fresh and well prepared. Service was always good - Rogelio at Fuego was a standout as well as Enrique at breakfast at Fuego. He was very good at helping us to practice our spanish!

Alejandra in the reservation department is a real sweetheart. She was very helpful booking as well as ahead of our trip w questions and requests. Melchor at the front desk was pleasant and helpful as well.

Housekeeping did a great job at keeping our room fresh and stocked. Security was good as well. I had some thoughts on how secure I would feel at such a property with the public beaches right outside - but our bungalow was one of the first ones and we felt very safe and secure at all times on the beach or on the property.

Juliana in the pottery bungalow is adorable - she actually paints all of the stencils on the pieces and is very talented. If you don't have the time to paint something - at least stop in her shop and see her beautiful works. I painted my own and bought one of her beautiful pieces.

Ice cream w/Ceasar is SOOOOO YUMMY. Highly recommend trying this at least one afternoon. I just wish he was open later as I would have liked to have ice cream instead of dessert around 8 but he closed at 7.

The bellmen were also great help - Tino was a great help. We decided on Saturday night after returning from dinner that we wanted to book a taxi to take us to Tulum early Sunday morning and he was fantastic at getting it all organized for us. We had a great driver that went along w us and waited while we did our own thing for the day. I am sure I am forgetting some of the people who made our stay comfortable - but I did want to share that the people at this resort are very special.

I had seen on the hotels social media that they have sponsored a local special needs school - so I inquired w Alejandra in reservations if she could ask them if they had some needs that we can bring for them. They needed some slate and stylus for the blind children as well as other art supplies and playdoh, etc. which we were happy to bring. School supplies are very expensive and out of reach for many especially those which children with disabilities. We spent a morning to visit the school as I like for my son to see what schools are like in other countries and since he was missing school for a few days he should be doing something educational and or charitable. It was really nice to see a local business supporting such a school in the community. The concierge Boli brought us over to the school. It was really nice to chat w Boli - who has worked for the hotel for 24 years. The bar is even named for him. When you have employees that have stayed w a place for so long it really does show you what kind of place that is.

So for me - back to Chicago and wearing shoes. So if you are looking for something laid back and you just want to chill - this is your place.
If you like entertainers running around the pool recruiting for activities and people getting super drunk at the pool bar all day because its free liquor at an all inclusive - this isn't for you.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank tracydm
ItzePerez, Social Media & Marketing Manager at Mahekal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2019

Dear tracydm,

Many thanks for sharing your impressions on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you appreciated the comfort of our hotel as well as its relaxing atmosphere, please note that we avoid the electronic devices in rooms to create a tranquil ambiance.

If there’s anything we can do to help plan your next perfect getaway, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 14 January 2019 via mobile

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Makehal. From the moment we were picked up at the airport we felt like family. No time share pushers and just plain amazing service. Incredibly clean property. Gorgeous setting with a variety of ways to stay. Single jungle palapas...double and connected rooms as well palapas by the pool and beach. We stayed in a single jungle palapa and loved the privacy. When we go again we will try one closer to infinity pool. Wonderful tasty breakfast entrees and great pool and beach service. Andres and Gabriel were the most memorable employees who went above and beyond to make us feel like royalty. Totally recommend this property.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank N6595RAmaryh

Dear N6595RAmaryh,

What a pleasure to read your experience on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at Mahekal Beach Resort, and even more happy to read that the excellent service from our staff was according your expectative! We look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 14 January 2019

We just returned from our fourth visit to this wonderful resort, which just gets better and better through the years. The grounds are beautiful and meticulously maintained. The location is ideal--the perfect combination of seclusion and convenience to the "action" in town. However, what really stands out and makes Mahekal special, is its excellent staff. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. Whether you are a return guest, which many people are, or a new guest,you are greeted as a friend. We especially enjoyed our interactions with two of the restaurant servers, Rogelio and Andres. It was a pleasure to be greeted every day by their warm smiles. They made excellent suggestions based on their observations of our food preferences. The concierge, Boli, was extremely helpful and patiently answered all our questions. He also made sure that we got a room that met our specifications. In short, our fourth stay lived up to our expectations, and we're already looking forward to returning to this unique resort.

Room tip: request a room in a quiet section if you value tranquility.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Elfsong401,

Thank you for choosing Mahekal Beach Resort as host for your vacation and for taking the time to share with us your 5 stars review; we truly appreciate your confidence in choosing us.

On behalf of our entire team, we genuinely hope to have the opportunity of welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 13 January 2019

Room was very nice, exotic and beautiful design with large balcony (we took an upgrade to room 17 on a 3rd floor which was a larger suite with big sized balcony wich is double as normal and with extraodinairy seaview). To compare to the other hotels on the strip that are too modern, this is one of the few gems that feels authentic, exclusive and tropical. They did a good job renovating after taking over the Shangri-La Caribe. Helpful staff, even with our proposal for a last minute cocktail event. They helped me to promote a cocktail that turned into a big succes with the help of the bartenders Jobni Diaz and Sergio, Urs Bacsa the food&beverage manager, Itze Perez social media & marketing manager and the arranged local press. We will definitly come back. Thanks so much for our pleasant stay and collaboration!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
ItzePerez, Social Media & Marketing Manager at Mahekal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2019

Dear Dave,

Thank you very much for sharing your kind comments after your recent visit to our hotel.

I am delighted that your experience in our hotel was a positive one and that you enjoyed the warm hospitality and professionalism of our team. It will be my pleasure to share your kind comments with them.

Thank you for choosing us as a location for the cocktail event, everyone loved El Liberator.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to Mexico and make you relive the Mahekal experience!