My husand and I were married on the white sand beach in front of the BEAUTIFUL Shangri-La resort on November 18, 2006. We had 43 friends and family in tow to share our wedding in paradise. It simply was the most wonderful time of both of our lives.
Not only is the staff incredibly friendly and accommodating, but everything was clean and well maintained. We stayed in a third floor suite on the Aventura side right next to the Aventura dining room where we held our reception. The daily breakfasts were yummy, fresh and cozy with "delicious coffee." The dinners were great too! We just didn't understand what all the complaining about the food was, seriously. Oh! You HAVE to have a hamburger at lunch time and order a side of guacamole for your chips. I know it' s not traditional Mexican fare, but after a night of Don Julio shots and Tecate, you will be in tip-top shape again. If you decide to visit, please say hello to the waiter Miguel from Ryan and Erica! Everyone remembered our names and could not have been any nicer.
Ok, the only thing we didn't like was the noisy construction next door, but THERE WAS A HURRICANE!! Of course they are going to re-build paradise, C'mon!!! Just get up early, get in your hammock and remember you are in paradise for a short amount of time so just ENJOY it!! They're making it better for everyone to keep coming back!! Truth be told, my parents bought a condo in town while we were there because they loved it so much in Playa.
I would also agree to buy a cooler at Wal-mart and stock up on beer to bring with you down to the beach. There is a very cute little market up the street from the reception where you can buy hard liquor to make mixed drinks or tons of beer to choose from as well. Beer cozies really help too. We put them in the welcome bags we packed for everyone when they checked in to the hotel. Also, bug spray for your ankles and calves at night because that is the only thing the bugs seem to like attacking. Weird thing is, you don't even feel it until the next day.
I am posting my pictures and please feel free to contact me if you have any questions because I could rave for pages and pages about how wonderful it is. If you are planning a destination wedding and want it to be everything you could ever imagine with all of your guests talking about it for the rest of their lives, contact Christine through the Shangri-La's website and tell them that Erica sent ya. You will have an amazing time!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Ebookers and getaroom.com so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen