After staying a couple nights at a cheaper hotel off the beach (Aventura - nice hotel as well) we moved to the Shangri La Caribe.
What was interesting was that we tried to book a room at this resort before our vacation and they said they were fully booked. But when we walked into the lobby on our trip to just check again we were able to book the top floor of a beach-side bungalow. It truly was right on the beach and we had a great view.
The room was nothing fancy but large, air conditioned, and very clean, the balcony was terrific. Two hammocks right on balcony as well as lounge chairs and table. So when you’re not on the beach you can play cards or relax there. I did have a roach crawl on me one night while sleeping but hey.. they are true "thatch-roof" bungalows so it's understandable.
Beach was great! Easy to get a towel and chair every day as well.
We ate dinner and breakfast there many times during our stay. It was usually the same each day but pretty decent - definitely not any worse than anywhere we ate in town.
Overall stay was a good one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen