My husband and I just returned from an 8 day stay at Mahekal. This place is wonderful!! The entire staff went out of their way to make sure we had all we needed during our stay, and did so with a smile on their face! The concierge, Boli, was very helpful and the bartender at night, Vicente, was also very good (just to name a few). The food was outstanding at all three meals, we never ordered anything that was not good. The drinks were reasonably priced and very tasty. We especially enjoyed the Mexican buffet on Sunday night!! They had live entertainment and excellent food! Mahekal is a very laid back place and the rooms are simple, which is exactly what we were looking for. The grounds are very well kept and the staff is constantly working to keep the place nice. There are plenty of chairs on the beach and resort security assists to make sure that only hotel residents use the chairs. The beach was beautiful. We walked down the beach in both directions from the resort and found that it was not as nice anywhere else.
If you are looking for a fancy place with televisions, phones in the rooms, and jacuzzi tubs then this is not for you. We did not miss any of those things when we were there and can't wait to return next year!! We stayed in 29P and it had a great view of the ocean. It was on the far end of the resort and was very quiet (the penthouse is right above this room). Great service, great staff, and excellent food!! Also, only a few minute walk to 5th avenue where there is great shopping, food, and drink!! Awesome!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Hotel.de so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen