My wife and I just got married at Mahekal and I must say we couldn't have imagined a more perfect wedding! The staff at this place is beyond exceptional and will truly do anything to make sure you are happy. We were there with 29 of our family and friends and there was only one issue that came up but they were able to resolve everything and made sure everyone was happy. We arrived on Monday June 21, 2010 to the most gorgeous turquoise, green and blue water you could ever imagine. We stayed in one of the Penthouse Suites 12P and the view was breathtaking. We got married on Wednesday the 23rd on the beach at sunset and the weather was hot during the day but the breeze picked up right before the ceremony started. I must say without that wind I don't know how long I would've made it in a suit lol. It was hot that day! We were able to get through the Ceremony and photos (which turned out amazing) before it started to pour but then it let up for the rest of the night. Then the first storm of the year Tropical Storm Alex (ironically enough that was my best mans first name) decided to come through for the next 4 days. Most of the showers came with heavy rain but were fairly quick before it would stop. Only downfall was it never really cleared up and continued to be overcast up until Monday the 28th. Obviously no one has control over the weather but my point being even with the weather we couldn't have picked a better place to get married.
There wasn't a thing they did that didn't deserve a 5+ star rating. When people say they will do anything to me make sure you're happy, that's exactly what they mean. The man to speak to over there is Bolie, he will get you anything you need. He is one of the nicest guys I've ever met. The wedding coordinators Urs, Aya and Karina were amazing and did everything we asked. Urs was the man and is so easy to talk to. Karina did a great job helping with making sure everyone got to and from the airport. We had a large group and some individual flights but there were no problems. Aya was the one who made everything happen though. She did an amazing job making sure everything was perfect for us. The wedding was PERFECT!!!!!
As for crime, just remember yes you are in paradise but don't forget where paradise is. Unless you are smart enough and wise enough to play around with the corruption down there don't and you will be fine. If you are smart enough and wise enough you will get anything you need from just about anyone trust me. In the town it was really nice and there were a lot of good eating spots and stores to go in. It really gives you a little of the Mexican lifestyle feeling in a tourist part of Mexico. The store owners are annoying as hell lol but they are cool as hell when you talk to them. We had one guy get us a round of beers one night then the next day I came with another group and he did the same thing. Some things are cheap but some are crazily overpriced. You can talk any single one of them down on the price and some will end up giving you more then 50% off what they were originally asking for if you're persistent enough.
The resort layout was perfect and offered a different feel in every single room. I was able to go in about 10 different cabanas and not one of them were the same. The maids do something different with your towels whenever you get your room cleaned. We had 2 swans facing each other when we walked in. A few others I saw were elephants, dog, and even a little person with eyes and stuff attached. The bar has a tv, 2 ping pong tables and 2 pool tables. it was were we spent a lot of our time and had a blast. It was nice being able to charge everything on the resort to the room and paying for it at the end of the trip. If you do it that way though just make sure you keep track of what you put on it. Just like anywhere it's an easy route for them to start adding things to the bill that you didn't get. Didn't happen to us but just warning you.
I would absolutely go back to this place and recommend anyone else who hasn't been to definitely go and experience this amazing resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, TravelUp and Booking.com so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen