I loved everything about Mexico and the Mahekal Beach Resort. Everyone we met there was friendly. It was nice being away from TV and computer. If you do bring a laptop there is computer access in the bar and lobby.
Transportation to Hotel :
We booked ahead with Cancun Transfers. I would recommend them. Paid with credit card when booking and tipped with US cash. Driver stopped along the way to the hotel so we could get a cold beer for the ride.
Mahekal Beach Resort:
Beautiful smaller hotel with bungalows. We stayed in an oceanfront bungalow on the beach, 1C. Loved it. We never felt we didn't have privacy. We loved that we could just step out onto the beach. We could hang out on our porch to look at the beautiful ocean, watch the sunrise and people watch.
Our bungalow had two queen beds and a bathroom. There was a small safe in the room that opens/locks with a key. Air conditioning was fine. Our housekeeper left beautiful towel art every day.
There was a hairdryer provided. We asked for an iron and ironing board and kept it in our room all week.
There are two pools (medium-sized), that never seemed to be crowded.
Two restaurants, one which served breakfast and lunch. The other dinner. One bar with pool table and ping pong table.
The staff , Gabriel, Boli, Jorge, Vicente (bartender), and everyone else were so nice and helpful.
Coffee is served in the AM at the bar and in the Aventura restaurant. It usually was out by 6:30. We bought a coffee maker, coffee, sugar, sweetener, and non-refrigerated cream at Mega and used it in our room for the week. We are early risers.
From the resort we could walk to 5th Ave in a few minutes. Very safe. We walked to Mega also. Taxis are always available and are inexpensive. Cab drivers took pesos or US dollars.
Beautiful beach with no rocks and very little seaweed. The beach is raked daily. Water ranged from very calm to having some pretty good waves.
There were no issues with getting a chaise lounge every day. There are plenty.
The beach is good for walking and/or jogging. We took a walk every morning. You can also have your lunch served on the beach as well as drinks.
Always had two security guards on the beach (24x7). Never felt any concerns about security at the hotel or in town.
Places to Eat - Recommended
Mahekal - Breakfast Buffet which had fresh juice and fruit; eggs (including Mexican skillet egg dishes), pancakes, french toast to order; sausages, hash browns, toast, croissants, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal. Wonderful!
Mahekal - Dinner - Sunday nights is Mexican night with buffet and band. It was fun!
El Fogon - We went twice and loved it. Authentic, non-touristy, inexpensive and great food. Very casual. We had the frijoles charros (bean soup), tacos el pastor (tacos with pork), and arrachera (flank steak). We washed it down with cold Mexican beer.
Piola - This is right up the road from the Mahekal. Great margharitas, bruschetta, and pizza. The salads were good as well. Great atmosphere and service.
Origenes- Also right up the road from the Mahekal. We stopped in for drinks and appetizers. Great service and live music. We wanted to go back for dinner but ran out of time.
We did the Tulum and Beyond Tour and had a great time. We would definitely recommend this company! They pick up / drop off at your hotel. They provide drinks and snacks. We toured the Tulum ruins, snorkeled in two cenotes, and hung out on a secluded Tulum beach. Our guides set-up and served us lunch on the beach at Tulum. We booked it the day before and paid in US cash. We also included a tip for our tour guide Ader and driver Pablo.
There is a store right across the street from the Mahekal that sells ice, beer, soda, water, snacks, etc. Opens at 9:00AM. They took pesos or US dollars. There is a store that opens earlier that sells the same (and throw-away cameras). Go up the street to the circle and make a right. The store is down a bit on the left side of the street.
Mega is like a Walmart. They have food, clothes, appliances, etc. Can walk there in about 15 minutes or take a cab for a few dollars. There are cabs lined up in front when you leave.
Money / ATMs:
Used an ATM at the Cancun airport and Mega to get out pesos.
We tipped Mahekal employees in either pesos or US dollars - no issues. We tipped daily for housekeeping, breakfast, lunch, and drinks.
Brought high SPF sunscreen with us and needed it. Purchased additional at a store on 5th Ave.
Brought bug spray with us just in case. Used one day only on our porch for some mosquitos. We also needed it on the Tulum trip.
A relaxing vacation at a wonderful resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Booking.com and TravelUp so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen