We stayed 4 nights at Mahekal followed by 3 nights at an all inclusive and our family (husband, me and our 20-year old daughter) all liked Mahekal much better. The people at the Mahekal are part of the reason, the other is the beautiful beach and the cute bungalo type rooms. We had the same waiter for most of our stay. His name was Juan and he was so sweet, friendly, and attentive. I felt like we were leaving a friend by the end of our stay. Boli at the concierge desk went above and beyond in helping us plan our activities--again, more like a friend. Vincenti at the bar was also the greatest. Location: perfect beach, uncrowded, hammocks on your private covered deck, nice jungle feel throughout the resort yet right at the ocean and close to downtown. The towel art that greeted us each day when we returned to our rooms was ADORABLE. I never thought we would get such a kick out of towel art! The lady at the front desk when we arrived was a bit uncommunicative but the one there as we were leaving was sweet as could be. It was quite a contrast when we moved to the all inclusive which was loud, crowded, impersonal and the beach was not nearly as nice. Mahekal was worth every penny, and we thought pretty reasonably priced.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen