We had such a great vacation - a week at SLC - it's beautiful! The beach is fabulous, tons of palapas and chairs. We originally booked a superior garden view but upgraded to ocean view when we arrived - well worth the extra $! The sea breezes were so wonderful, and we could see the ocean right from our window! I highly recommend the upgrade if it's possible - we're thinking of maybe getting one of the ocean front cabanas when we return.....
No concerns at all about safety...they have security on the beach I think 24 hours a day - we always saw someone out there, making sure it was only SLC people using the chairs. We always locked our wallets/passports in the safe, but it's a bit small so we left our expensive camera, laptop computer, etc. in the closets. Never noticed anything out of place or missing.
Bugs: yes, you may encounter an ant or two here and there. In 7 days, I probably killed about 7 ants. They were never in/near the bed, mostly in the bathroom. One day I woke in the middle of the night and found a weird larger bug on the floor by the bathroom that was almost dead - don't know where that came from! Woke my hubby to take care of that one :-)
Food: We enjoyed the breakfast for the most part - I'm a bready breakfast person (muffins, bagels, etc) so I was a bit tired of the same pastries after a while, but the pancakes were good. My husband liked the egg dishes (rancheros, omelet, etc). We only ate dinner at the resort for one night - Mexican buffet on Sunday - it was great! They had free slammer shots as you enter, and it was all decorated with flags and balloons. Lots of fun! The food was good, especially the lamb - yummy!
We bought a foam cooler and beer at El Campeon - a little store one block back behind SLC. We also brought a small colapsible cooler from home to bring out to the beach. We bought ice about once a day from the SLC bar.
We ate one breakfast and one lunch at El Cuevo del Chango - 1/2 block back behind SLC - wonderful! Highly recommend it - great atmosphere!
Weather was somewhat hot and humid, but as long as the sea breeze was coming in, it was great! Being in the direct sun was hot, but sitting in the shade under a palapa or on our hammocks on the balcony, we didn't even notice the humidity. The only unbearable heat was walking 5th ave during the day - no breeze! Out of 7 days, it only rained two - one day was a 15 minute downpour, then sunny and perfect again. The other day had two bouts of rain, with a total of about 2 hours of cloudy/rainy - then again sunny and beautiful the rest of the day. It was amazing how quickly the temp dropped when these little storms came through, and it was a welcome relief from the humidity for a bit.
One final note, we wanted to pack light, so we planned on getting our clothes washed one day - they have a service that picks up and drops off right at the hotel, so we opted for that. It was great! We gave them 7 shirts, 4 shorts/skirts, underwear, socks, etc. and it was $9 usd total! Well worth it so you don't have to pack as much.
Loved many of the PDC restaurants, didn't like others....see my future post on the Playa Del Carmen forum page for more info....
Wish I was still there! Doing laundry and cleaning house isn't quite as fun as laying on the beach all day! Let me know if you have any questions!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen