Just spent 2 weeks at Mahekal and had the time of my life. Wonderful hotel and great beach. The hotel is just as great as the reviews on Tripadvisor says, and I would love to come back some time.
Rent a fridge in the reception - 5 US dollars pr. day
Borrow a hair dryer for free in reception (or bring your own, it's pretty basic)
If you need to leave early in the morning before breakfast is ready (7.30), ask reception to prepare something for you. They are happy to do this. you will get a ham and cheese sandwich, a banana, a small youghurt and chocolate milk.
Take a taxi to Mega and get everything you need from groceries, to toiletries, batteries, water, etc. Mega is much better than wallmarts which is right next door. The taxi is 34 pesos. Walking would probably take more than 30 minutes and you might not like the look of some of the streets.
The hotel recommends that you take a taxi when you go to Quinta Avenida (5th Avenue, the main strip in Play). this is not necessary, just go left when you exit the hotel and Quinta is the first street you meet. The further down you get, the more happens. Lots of bars, restaurants and souvenir shops.
The hotel is located on Calle 38. There are a few nice restaurants and a good hammock shop on this street near the hotel. Quite charming area, actually. very unlike Quinta.
There is a mini supermarket (quite dirty and not very nice) on the corner of Calle 38 and Quinta. If you continue down Calle 38 to the next corner you will get to Oxxo. this is also a mini supermarket and much nicer. Some kind of chain. it has an ATM inside.
Nice to know:
the beach is beautiful and the water wonderfull. however, be aware that it is a very very busy beach (in february). There is plenty of space and loungers on the hotel section of the beach but in front of this is the public section. here you will see large mexican families, large groups of young people hanging out and having fun, and many many tourists from nearby hotels without beach. There is also massive water sports actions - jetskies, parasailing, banana boats, fishing boats, speed boats, etc. Not very tranquil. Finally, there is a constant stream up and down the beach of joggers, walkers, etc taking pictures and videofilming. It did not ruin my experience, just don't expect to feel alone/private. there is also a beach club south of Mahekal. if the wind is in the wrong direction, you can hear the techno music.
Choice of accommodation: We opted for the Seaview rooms and that was perfect for us. The rooms directly on the beach have the best views of course and is only a few meters from the edge of the water. but they also have no privacy. So be prepared to be filmed and ogled while sitting there. The wind is also very strong and cooling. Nice when you are in the sun but too cold for me when you are in the shade. We had a nice view but also shelter from the wind - number 31B. The downside was the proximity to the pool area and the bar. I would not recommend getting a ground floor room - again because you have no privacy. The first floor rooms feels very private.
Well, I coud go on and on and really I can only give my warmest recommendation. If you have any questions, just write and I will help if I can.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen