Mahekal was everything we imagined and more. From the time we booked the trip to our cab ride to the Cancun Airport, they were more than willing to help with anything and everything.
Concierge: Boli, the concierge, was THE BEST! He was so friendly and really went above and beyond. He made dinner reservations for us, organized a snorkel trip with others from the hotel and booked us horseback riding. He made everything so easy, we told him what we were looking for and he delivered! He offered up suggestions of things we might like to try and did everything with a smile. I have nothing but great things to say about his service.
Hotel: The hotel is a hidden gem! The grounds and rooms are really unique. I was very happy to not be in a high rise building. It really allowed for a true "beachy" feel. The hotel was very casual, but beautiful which made it all the more relaxing. There was no pressure to have anything but your beach cover up on while at lunch or at Happy Hour. It was so nice to be able to walk off the beach at 5PM, sandy and in flip flops and head straight to Happy Hour!
Food: Breakfasts were included and were great! Many options (yogurt, delicious fresh fruits, pastries, eggs, cold cuts, etc.). You had the choice of eating lunch or dinner at the hotel. We had lunch there every day. What I loved the most about their food was that it was simple and fresh. They had several healthy options, so that you didn't feel like you were gaining 10 pounds during your stay. It was the kind of food that you could every day and not get sick of. We had dinner at the hotel twice. Both nights were buffet. They were good, but not as good as the lunch. I think that is typical when you eat buffet style.
Playa: Playa was a great place to walk around at night or during the day. They have so many great restaurants, it's really hard to choose from!! I ate at Fusion, El Tortuga and John Gray's. All awesome places that I would definetly recommend. Also, there is a great coffee place on 5th Avenue: Au Cacao. They had the best iced coffee I have ever tasted.
** I do have one suggestion though. Depending on the room you are planning to stay in, be sure to request an exact room or don't give up until you get what you want. My boyfriend and I paid for an Ocean Front room, which we thought would be our own private bungalow on the beach. It turned out that we were in more of an Ocean View Room, 27 Playa. It was not a private bungalow, it was connected to 4 other rooms. 2 next door and 2 above. We were very, very upset when we saw this (even though it was directly on the beach). They said they get complaints a lot about that room, and the old management did have it listed as an Ocean View Room. There were several other people who were upset with their room location (almost every person we saw checking in had an issue). I think they may have been overwhelmed, as the hotel was fully booked. We never ended up being able to move rooms and they would not refund us for the Ocean Front, but we got over it once we stopped and realized how little time we actually sat in our room.
All in all, the best!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, Holiday Gems, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen