“Way better than expected!”
Review of Hotel Plaza Playa

Hotel Plaza Playa
Ranked #63 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Way better than expected!”
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the Plaza Playa for near a month and I have to sy, it was a great base. Cheap and cheerful, staff were fantastic and ha the option of a mini buffet breakfast every morning. About a 10 minute walk to the beach, which I walked most mornings after breakfast. About 20 minutes from the collectivo station where you can go from Cancun to Tulum! It will be a great hotel for people travelling on a budget but still want to be close to the action. I'll be visiting there again soon :)

• Stayed May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
Kelowna, BC
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I have to preface by saying that I think we got upgraded to a suite simply due to luck of the draw, so my review may be biased by the fact I literally got more than I paid for. I couldn't believe what I saw when I walked in the room! It was huge! We had three balconies, a set of couches as well as a small dining table and chairs. The king bed was very comfortable. For the price (which was just over $50 including all taxes, fees and breakfast) I don't believe I've ever had a better value room in all of my travels. I was almost sad that we were only staying there one night!

The breakfast buffet was well worth the money. When booking, I chose the "with breakfast" option because it was only something like $7 more. I wasn't expecting much as it said "continental" somewhere... but I figured even if it was just toast and juice it still was a fair price for the room overall. Instead there's hot food, pastries, a choice of juices and a nice yogurt and granola bowl.

For us, location wasn't an issue. We were at the end of our vacation and our house in Akumal wasn't available for the last night of our trip, so we just needed a room to get us through the night before the airport. We had a rental car, so a priority for us was parking, which this hotel had. However, for those that are in Playa to enjoy the beach or 5th ave shopping, the location may not be ideal. Its not too bad though. We had a < 2 year old baby plus two 60+ seniors in our party of 5 and we still managed the walking. Taxis are readily available but we didn't bother. So its not a particularly bad location either.

The front desk woman (I didn't get her name unfortunately) was exceptionally helpful and friendly. She got us checked in early because our baby needed a nap (that may have been why we got the suite?) and was very good at giving us directions to nearby things we needed (food, shopping, etc). I briefly met the manager (owner?) during breakfast and he seemed very nice as well, with a "whatever makes your stay pleasant" kind of attitude. All the cleaning staff had smiles on their faces when passing. Nothing bad to say about anyone there!

Free wifi worked well in the common areas. Not so well in our room, but we were at the very far end.

If I ever get back that way, I'll stay there again without hesitation!

Room Tip: Room 17 is easily their best room if you can get it!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I stayed with my wife in this hotel for 3 days in May 2013. Playa Plaza hotel is a very nice budget hotel, functional and complete value for money.

I can highlight a few positives:

1. Close to 5th avenue and the beach. You can walk to Cozumel ferry station as well
2. Convenience stores (incl. Walmart) are close
3. Just a block from Walmart (30th Avenue), you will find ATMs for HSBC and Santander bank
4. ADO bus station is a 10 mins walk
5. Free parking space in front of hotel (a big plus if you wish to rent the car, which is highly recommended. Use easyway rental car. Very professional and they even delivered the car to hotel premises)

The room was very spacious and has lots of closet space. The only thing, I expected (and was missing) was a electric kettle for boiling water. But nothing, to complain about.

I would definitely recommend the hotel to travelers.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WanderlustBugK
Vail, CO
Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

This hotel is walking distance to the beach and 5th Avenue which is the main tourist area. The Chedraui (huge supermarket) more or less a Walmart is across the street. The rooms were nice and clean and the AC was great! Cable TV and a breakfast buffet (not a casino style buffet obviously, fruit, coffee, fresh juice, pastries, and a few hot items) for 50 pesos! This place is practical for those traveling! I Absolutely recommend staying here! Also some rooms have a balcony! The hotel is very modern in appearance, forget about when it may have been built, it's like new! The shower was great! Safe in room! Enjoy Yourself!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank 1trackrider
BC
Reviewed 30 March 2013

This hotel is very nice. Our room was very comfortable and spacious. It had a good TV ( we could watch the USA-Mexico futbol match) and has as in-room safe. Large closet area. Air conditioning worked well for when we wanted it. Our room had a good sized bathroom and a large shower area.

The view from the balcony is not great, but it is in a good location with many popular restaurants in the vicinity. It is about a ten to fifteen minute walk to the beach. I was happy to be away from the touristy area, what a zoo Playa is. It is also very close to the ADO station. My bag was getting heavy and I needed a taxi to get there, only 20 pesos.

Others have commented on noise, but I think this is just a matter of bad luck. We stayed four nights and were not bothered by noise at all.

I would have liked a mini fridge in the room.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pumpermum
Zanesville, Ohio
Reviewed 24 March 2013

This was hotel was clean and just blocks from the beach. The price was good and it included a breakfast and parking. However, we slept terribly because of the noise. There was music and talking until the early hours of the morning. After the music finally stopped we could hear talking and sometimes yelling from people in the halls. The walls are very thin and you can hear everything. If we would have brought ear plugs, this experience would have been much better.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy W
San Diego
Reviewed 1 March 2013

This hotel was great. Our room was not the most comfortable but super clean and very affordable. AC worked great and it was within walking distance from lots of stuff. The staff was very helpful and courteous and there was easy parking for our rental.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Luis Armando M, Manager at Hotel Plaza Playa, responded to this review, 2 March 2013
Thank you very much for your kind opinion about your stay at the PLAZA PLAYA. Hope to be of serve to you again in the future. Greetings from Playa del Carmen; Heart of the Riviera Maya!!!