“Nice, but loud construction next door”
Review of Hotel Bambu Suites

Hotel Bambu Suites
Ranked #123 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Madison, Wisconsin
“Nice, but loud construction next door”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This is a great hotel. It is hard to find a hotel that is quiet enough for a family with small children, but this almost did the trick. There was just one major problem... The construction next door. They were tearing down a wall and 5 of the 7 days of our stay, there was very loud pounding all day. It is fine if you are gone all day, but if you have a child who needs to nap, they will have trouble doing so as the noise is ear piercing, random and unpredictable. As long as what is being built next door isn't a night club or a bar with loud music til all hours, this will be our new go-to hotel in playa. We have come here every year for years and have lived here, and as playa changes and we have a family, it gets increasingly hard to find a quiet hotel. We really recommend this location if you don't want to be up until 6am every day which is exactly what you'll get going closer into town.
Pros:
Nice pool (very shallow for our one year old to stand in to shoulders which he loved)
Friendly staff
Two jacuzzis on rooftop
"Quiet" minus construction and a bar's music on the last night of our stay
Across the street from best seafood
Close to Playa Mamitas
Fridge, microwave and blender
Comfortable beds

Cons:
Construction noise
No coffee maker in unit
A/C is either super cold or off and it beeps loudly when it hits set temp (turns on/off)
Hard to fit much in fridge because they stock it with stuff you can purchase

We stayed in a junior suite which was large enough to stay very comfortably for a week. Disappointed we didn't have a couch like many of the pictures, but two uncomfortable chairs instead.

The pros certainly outweigh the cons, but I wouldn't stay there this coming week if I had a little one trying to sleep... That pounding made for a sleepy child! Not what you want on vacation.

Room Tip: Our third floor room was quiet except when people broke jacuzzi hour rules and went up there super l...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Courtney R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Mexico City
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

I just came back on Monday from playa, I stayed at Bambu suites for the second time, the previous was on August last year. This is maybe one of my favorite hotels in playa, located in "la nueva Quinta". It's nice, cozy, and has everything you need for a good stay for a fair price. Even the smallest (which are not small at all) are equipped with a mini fridge, microwave and a sink to wash dishes. The bathroom on this room was a little smaller than expected but it works fine. The pressure on the shower is not so good tbh. We had a flat screen tv with cable, fan on the roof, a/c and a big enough closet. We have never used the pool for some reason but its pretty nice, and there are 2 roof top jacuzzis and sun chairs. They give you coupons for sun chairs and beach towels at the Cannibal Royal beach club which is pretty nice and pretty close to walk to. A really nice cozy hotel overall, really quiet and the staff is super friendly. We arrived before the check in time and they allowed us to go in the room in like 10 minutes while they accommodated everything. I really appreciated this since I've been to bigger hotels, which are supposed to have more rooms hence one available and they don't let you in til a few minutes before the check in time. Will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank HiramNovelo
Delaware
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed at Bambu Suites right before the high season kicked in (December 8-15), we reserved the two bedroom/ two full bath 'master suite'. Since we booked earlier in the year (April 2012) taking advantage of a special promo that gave us a great rate (worked out to $100 a night with taxes included). The suite was huge and perfect for a party of three. The rooms were clean and the master bedroom had a view of the courtyard and pool. The second bedroom had a view of 10th Avenue which was ok...

Although the pool is on the small-side it was a nice feature. We enjoyed the hot tubs on the roof on more than one occasion. The best part of the hotel was the staff (front desk, cleaning and maintenance)... they were very helpful - immediately addressing any issue that came up. The front desk staff was friendly and courteous.

If I head back to Playa Del Carmen - I'll probably stay at a hotel that's right on the beach. Bambu provides it's guests with beach access via the Cannibal Royal Beach club... the front desk would issue a voucher per day to go Cannibal (a 4-5 block walk) where you have to spend $15 a day in food and drinks (per person) to get a beach chair and towel. Another downside - for me anyway - was the number of dogs (guard dogs) in the immediate area - they did have a tendency to bark throughout the night - which didn't make for the best sleep.

The overall location of the hotel wasn't bad - it's was at the north end of 5th Avenue which was a little quieter than being on the main drag.There were several great restaurants within 5-6 block walk of the hotel.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 10th Avenue side (facing the courtyard and the pool) had less noise and dogs barking.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ILuvVacationing
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Stayed here for 15 days and there where no problems what so ever.. It's a great place, big rooms and a small pool and 2 jacuzzis on the roof. We used them a lot. I never saw any body use the pool, but you really not need it. The beach is very close and you got the jacuzzis. It relly close to the 5th av. 1 block. You need to walk 200m. Before the tourist trap begins. Ha ha. There are a lot of restaurants around the hotel and a big supermarket 5 mins away. The staff where very friendly and could help us with what ever we asked them. There is free wifi in all the rooms, but its not that fast., I'm very happy we stayed here and not on a hotel on the 5th av. I would stay here again for sure!

Room Tip: Not a big hotel so not that many to choose from, but we stayed at the top floor, and the rooms where...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mikkelss
Belize
Reviewed 29 September 2012

we are very happy to have stayed here for the location and cleanliness, its worth the money we paid, staff was freindly and helpful, Jorge, Carlos and Juan! You all made it so easy for us to see around and feel safe. Oxxo is aright around the corner for capuchinno, there is a tiendita very close that sells water at a cheap 18 pesos for a gallon, we found this very convenient since there is no water at the hotel, despite the pool is small it was ok because you can use it when no one is in it to avoid crowdiness, the hot tub was the max, we loved that part! if you wish to stay away from the noise of 5th avenue this is great! I would come back here definitely if i return to Playa! Eat at el Fogon!

Room Tip: if you have small children get ground floor 102 very convenient if it rains
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Nashville
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I am on the phone with Expedia now to resolve issues I had with this hotel as hotel management has yet to respond to me. Expedia informed me that if I had contacted them while I was there, they would have been able to assist me. Unfortunately I did not pay the expense of having an international calling plan/services or I would have called Expedia. I have yet to receive a response from the hotel manager regarding the e-mail I sent (below).

I am very disappointed with the number of issues that I've had during my stay at your hotel and the lackadaisical attitude that I perceived from your staff. Please keep in mind I am a guest on vacation at your hotel. I live in and take pride in a clean home. When I stay in a hotel I expect the same and even greater as I am paying for a service.

July 19-Upon entering my room for the first time, I observed the table was filthy, dusty/unclean nightstand and headboard, a used/nasty bottle of conditioner, the bathroom sink had a lot of debris that came out when turned on and squirts water. One of the drawers won't close which makes it difficult to close the closet. Also at bedtime I noticed the phone didn't work. I brought all of these things to Carlos' attention. During the night the a.c. made a lot of noise. I got up to adjust the flap and noticed FILTHY air filters.

July 20-Reported a.c. to female staff.Returned in the The phone was still not working. Carlos told me to wait until the next day even though I mentioned it to him the night before.

July 21-Arrived to room late evening and the air didn't work. The male employee sitting at the desk with Carlos came to my room and asked me questions as though I was the engineer. I asked to be changed to another room and was told the hotel was COMPLETELY booked. Carlos came and reset the a.c. The water would not get hot. I called the front desk and he acted as though he didn't understand me.

July 22-At 5:30 a.m. there was continuous loud banging. When I called the front desk it took minutes for him to answer. When I asked what the noise was he said it was room 102 and his tone indicated to me that he was aggravated that I called and asked. I reported the hot water issue before leaving in the morning. Late evening I returned to my room and the air did not work. Juan was unsuccessful in fixing it and asked me if I wanted to move to another room. I told him that I asked previously to move and was told the hotel was booked (I believe that was a lie). I asked him who would help me move my things. He told me to move them in the morning. I told him I wasn't sleeping in one room and leaving my items in another. I had to REPEATEDLY explain to him why this was unacceptable before he finally offered assistance. In room 206 I could not get the bathroom window to close. Water from the shower leaks into the closet area which is a serious safety issue. The hot water ran out after only 3 minutes in the shower. The a.c. started off cold but gradually the temperature dropped leaving me to sweat during the night. That is the most uncomfortable feeling.

EVERYDAY of my stay here there has been an issue. This is unacceptable. I sacrifice a lot to take a vacation and should not have to worry about cleanliness and maintenance issues. I am appalled by the lack of urgency expressed by your staff which contradicts the field of hospitality and demonstrates unprofessionalism.

For this hotel to be fairly new, it is quickly on the decline-mildew, rust, rooms not thoroughly clean, broken window handles, broken furniture, water issues, etc. Customer feedback is a gift to a business and should not be taken for granted or dismissed.

Very Disappointed,

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank SpiritofExcellence
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We got a king suite for around $55 dollars and found this to be an excellent deal. The room was clean and the front desk was extremely friendly. They had many local restaurant suggestions, all of which turned out to be wonderful, inexpensive meals. Sure, the furniture is oddly distributed throughout the room and the kitchen has a blender instead of a stove, but overall the hotel and staff make this a real gem. Also, the pool was a little murky and small but we never used it so we didn't mind. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 301 has a nice balcony and pool view.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple