“Great location in Playa!”
Review of Pelicano Inn

Pelicano Inn
Ranked #147 of 210 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Sanford, Florida
“Great location in Playa!”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

If you are looking for a basic motel like place to just sleep this is good. Great location, very friendly customer service.
Rooms are less than average. It needs a refresh! I used my flip flops to even get a shower!
The location was perfect, close to everything without the noise!
Internet wifi is available but never works! So do not bother! Rooms need a coffee pot.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Silvia A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel was in a great location! And the staff was amazing I had an amazing time! I would defiantly stay again the view was amazing and the wifi was very very good. the food was very very good and I highly recommend shout out to Luis and Esmeralda and the spa was very nice with a great view I felt very safe with my entire stay and I felt very welcome here I already miss this place thank you Hotel Pelicano Inn!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Portland, OR
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in late Feb’14. While the room was ok, I have to agree with previous reviews that this place could be so much better with seemingly relatively little extra investment. It baffles me why ownership will not take this step as it would almost assuredly garner them much better reviews and would also lead to them being able to charge more for their rooms. I wanted to give this place 3 stars because the people were nice and helpful, but given the 4 major issues I will describe below, I can't in good conscious give it more than 2.

The Good: friendly staff, clean rooms, good location, beach club free to use and relatively low pressure from the waiters to buy food/drinks, nice view from higher rooms (mine was on the top floor)

The Average: Hotel grounds were decent but could be so much nicer with just a little attention to detail and extra cleaning of walls, etc. The Beach Club, while a plus to have, has a few detracting factors. It’s not on a really great stretch of beach… a bit rocky and a lot of seaweed and murky water made it so I didn’t even want to go in. By contrast, about a 10 minute walk south the beach in front of Playacar Palace is both pristine and much, much wider than it is at Pelicano. Their area of cots and tables isn’t huge to begin with, but in addition to guests hanging out there, you have non-guests who are constantly trying to be brought in by the restaurant staff. Bottom line, you can’t get a decent cot with shade unless you get out there early in the morning. The few times I went out I was able to get shaded chairs but they were on the restaurant side and definitely not as comfortable as the cots would have been.
The fridge was decent, average size and worked well. The safe was larger than at some other hotels but had a pesky immovable divider in the middle making it impossible to store even a very small laptop inside.

The Bad: The Internet connection was a complete joke! The place supposedly has 5 wireless routers, which may be almost sufficient if they were good recent models with signal boosters. Sadly this was far from the case. From my room, I could never get my Galaxy S3 to log on and although I did get online with my Ultrabook, the signal was severely poor, went on and off constantly, and I kept getting a weird IP logging issue that has never happened before. I actually walked around with my phone, including in the lobby area, but was never able to get it connected. In fact, I was able to log on to a few open networks outside of the hotel (ironic) and noticed that Playa Maya had a 5 bar signal in most places on Pelicano’s property (but of course was secured). Makes me wonder if they are still using archaic “a” standard routers from the dark ages or something.

The water pressure in my room was sporadic between decent and absolutely horrible! Typical scenario was below average pressure first 5 minutes, followed by a dip to literally almost nothing (not exaggerating here… barely a trickle came out), followed by return to about average pressure within another 3-5 minutes. Completely unacceptable situation IMO.

The Air Conditioning was interesting… a very old and small unit wall mounted high up and remote controlled. Lowest it would go down to was 16 C but the room never got even close to that. When I first got into the room, the A/C was actually off and it had to be at least 80 F in there. After turning the unit on and being dismayed at the lack of air coming from the unit, I was not optimistic that it would cool down any time soon. When I came back to the room about 5 hours later, it was semi-decent but far from comfortable. After returning from dinner another 3 hours later, it had cooled a bit more but if I hadn’t been able to sleep where I could actually barely feel the flow of cool air, I doubt I would have slept much. It literally took a full 24 hours for that room to get to a decent temp (about 68 F by my estimate), which again, is not acceptable in this climate.

Also, the beds were quite hard and uncomfortable, even by area standards. My back was killing me the 4 nights I was hear and amazingly, 1 night after staying at Hotel Lunata, that pain was almost gone. Not expecting super plush or Tempurpedic but these were a small step up from a bad sofa-sleeper.

The final detracting factor here is the noise that filters into the rooms. It seemed that most of the noise was coming from a club near the side entrance to the hotel off Calle 8th. I was on the complete opposite side of the property on the top floor but it still sounded like there was absolutely nothing at all muffling the sound. The first night was so bad that I told myself that if it happened again like that the 2nd night, I would have to change hotels. Luckily, the next 2 nights the thumping stopped by about midnight and even on the next night (Friday) it was done by about 1am which really surprised me. I didn’t expect a noise-free experience here given it’s proximity to clubs and bars in Playa but these rooms literally have no sound-proofing whatsoever! Contrast this to other hotels in the vicinity like Hotel Lunata, who have thick, double glass sliding doors to muffle a lot of the noise, and the lack of such is painfully apparent at Pelicano.

In summary, I would not stay at this property again unless they made significant upgrades to the Wi-Fi, sound-proofing and A/C, and that seems very unlikely barring a change of ownership that is willing to make a decent investment in this place. Granted, my room was only about $120/night and they even have ones cheaper than that, but it’s just not worth it for me when you can pay a bit more and get a major step up to a hotel like Lunata.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank ASP-lover

Travellers are raving about these Playa del Carmen hotels

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 6 November 2013

See comments below. Great location, great service, but owner needs to spend some $$ on cosmetic outside repairs. The Staff, from housekeeping, to managers are excellent and certainly take pride in doing a good job. Hotel right on beach, 1 block from 5th Ave, close to many good restaurants.
Very affordable for couples or families. Our ocean view rooms on 3rd floor were very quiet, and awesome view of the ocean.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms on the 3rd floor are great for the price. Quiet and great views. We stayed at this...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank darla j
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My family and I had a great experience at this hotel. We went in July 2013 for one week. The service was great, and all the amenities mentioned on the website were as is. We had our room cleaned every day, new sheets and towels every other day. We didnt have any plumbing problems. We did have a safe which is very helpful when you go out of the hotel. The ocean view from our balcony was unforgettable, such beautiful site. The hotel restaurant had such nice employees and great service. The food was delicious, their menu had a variety of foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not to mention the drinks! Do try their pina colada! its amazing, and also their lime margarita ;-) We tried all their drinks all week. The hotel is located in a perfect location infront of the crystal clear turqouise waters. Just one block from the famous 5th avenue, and other local stores and restaurants. We had no problems with the neighboring hotels and their loud music. We were told that weekends were especially loud til dawn, but we didnt have any problems at all. We had a great time at this hotel, while it lasted.
:-)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank wendy r
Florida
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed here for 5 days in mid Feb 2013. You are right in the middle of everything, and within walking distance of MANY great restaurants, Starbucks and Walmart (which as a fabulous deli for breakfast thru dinner choices).
I love to camp, so this hotel in paradise is a few steps up from camping. You do have a roof over head and my bed had a mattress pad so it wasnt as hard as some beds in Mexico.
We had a small fridge in the room, 2 beds a small table with a couple resin chairs.
The bar area on the beach side of the hotel is ran by an probably owned by someone outside of the hotel. They decided to work on an iron gate ,sawing and hammering at midnight. Which required getting up, was awake anyway and going to the front desk to ask them to stop. Some of the waiters at the bar continued to short change my brother on day 2 of being there so we stopped eating or drinking there altogether.. Just went to walmart and got our beer and snacks.
The reviews about toilet paper is true.... you may run out so I went to the public beach rest rooms there in the hotel to gather back up in case we ran out.
The rooms were cleaned every day.Pillows are sparse and they dont always have extras.
Our air conditioner worked fine, it was in the upper 80s everyday so it was nice to have. And even tho the ceiling fan had exposed wires it did work real well.
SOOOO, for the price and since we are far from picky in paradise it worked fine for us. My husband may need some convincing to go back. But when I throw in the better than camping he gets it.
Hotel desk staff all were very nice.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for the Ocean view, lower right had a full fridge with a king bed, my brother and...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank jnicerocks
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 February 2013

The good: Came back here after 12 years. Pelicano Inn is a beautifully rustic holdout in an area quickly becoming slick and gaudy. Courtyard garden is beautiful and quiet. Location on the water and in the middle of pedestrian zone can't be beat. Exceptionally good price. Friendly, English-speaking staff. Free wi-fi worked great for me. Except that Playa has lost its small-village charm, I would go back to Pelicano. It's not luxurious, but has beauty and warmth - more than what I would call 'bare bones'.

Not so good: I wish the rooms still had hammocks, the hooks are still in place on the balconies and patios, and the mattresses are really bad (I bought a hammock, it's worth it). Used to put free quart of bottled water in every room, now they charge. Noise from Fusion bar nearby ruins the ability to listen to the surf at night in the ocean view rooms (but apparently does not disturb the 'garden view' rooms so much). Concierge was lacking: recommended garish Vegas-style show, and when I said that was exactly NOT what I was looking for, instead of suggesting low-key locals-style activities he said 'oh you gotta go'.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are quieter at night. The ocean front rooms are REALLY on the beach - the night c...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo