“Delayed Review Great Day of Fishing”
Review of Fishing with Ivan

Fishing with Ivan
More attraction details
Owner description: Captain Ivan is your #1 choice in Playa del Carmen for customized fishing charters. Away from the crowds, owner Captain Ivan offers outstanding service and excellent fishing. State of the art equipment and a brand new boat with toilet offer al the comfort you need.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Im very behind in all my reviews! But Im trying to work on them. My son & I wanted to go fishing during our week. I had contacted Capt Ivan via email to book a morning fishing trip about a month before our arrival. Vivian, (Capt Ivan's wife) promptly returned my email. Unfortunately, he was already booked for the week we were traveling and recommended Capt Edy. She spoke highly of him and guaranteed me we wouldnt be disappointed with our trip. The morning of the trip we arrived Indigo Beach (which is a meeting
point for quite a few captains). It was 6:45 am and Capt Edy was ready and
waiting, so we boarded his boat and began our fishing adventure. We
immediately liked Capt Edy, he was very personable and we were very
comfortable with him and our 1st mate, Adrian (I hope I spelled his name
correctly). Lines were promptly in the water and now it was a waiting game.
My son caught his 1st fish at 8:30am, a Spanish Mackerel. Unfortunately,
the fishing was very slow after that . I booked just a morning trip and it was supposed to end at 11:30 & we were pushing 11am. I guess Capt Edy over heard our conversation because he announced that we werent going in until my son caught another fish! I have deep sea fished quite a few times throughout the islands and I NEVER had a captain to make such an announcement. Then we found a school of TUNA!! I have never seen 2 men move so fast to change bait. The lines were out and my son pulled in his 1st tuna. While this pole was being put up and my son came back to sit with me, another fish hit the line. 2nd tuna was landed! He turned to sit again and another hit the last line in the water. His arms were giving out but he didnt give up. To our surprise, he had 2 tunas on this line. The trip back to shore was a very happy one. Pictures were taken and then Capt Edy took us up to a restaurant area where he cleaned & filet the fish. He introduced us to the restaurant owner who would be cooking our fish for lunch. For $8 per person we had fresh fish (cooked several ways) along with rice and salad. Capt Edy and Adrian joined us for lunch. Capt Edy was a wonderful source of info, we asked where we could get a great massage and he escorted us down the beach; when the massage was over he was visiting with friends and we asked how to get to 5th and he escorted us there, too. Overall, when I return to PDC, I will be contacting Capt Edy. We did try to book an additional trip but he wasnt available. I have never felt so comfortable on a fishing trip. We shared stories with each other, shared our snacks and the excitement of the only boat that caught fish that morning. Granted, we did have to walk in the water to board this boat; this was not a luxury fishing boat with bathrooms & galley. BUT none of that mattered; we caught fish because of a great captain who was watching out for us and made sure we had a successful trip. Thanks, Vivian for recommending Capt Edy. BTW, I did have the opportunity to meet Capt Ivan, he too, was very personable.
I know this was a long review but there are so many things I wanted to tell. Anyone interested in fishing in PDC should consider Capt Edy (via Capt Ivan ) and Capt Ivan also. I cant wait to return and see these friendly faces again.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I booked the 4 hour fishing trip weeks before our vacation and due to the excellent correspondence from Vivien, simply followed her instruction and found Ivan and his crew waiting for us at the beach. Ivan gave us some options, giving a thorough explanation of what we would experience and feeling relaxed and reassured my wife, 14 year old twin boys and I boarded Papa Kees and started trolling up the coast. We chatted with Pepe and Bernard exchanging stories, being handed lots of cold drinks and it wasn't long before we were getting some bites and one of my boys reeled in a 15-20lb Barracuda. He still hasn't stopped bragging about it!

A highlight was anchoring half way through the trip and Pepe leading us around a coral reef snorkelling. Ivan had all the equipment in excellent condition and the waters were very clear with an abundance of fish. We had shoals of fish feeding from bait we were swimming with in our hands which added to the experience.

We finally headed back up the coast trolling again before finishing for the day. Overall an awesome trip, great team of guys, very reasonably priced and I would recommend fishing with Ivan to anyone looking for a family friendly fishing trip. My only regret is not making the trip longer!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Vivian had great communication from the start. She answered all my emails thoroughly and promptly usually within a couple of hours and we had a lot of questions. There were six of us and were a little disappointed at first because we couldn't fish with Ivan but Leo and Choco more than made up for it, Leo is a great guy. Funny and very informative. Fishing was a little slow which sure was not from lack of effort from the crew. We did manage to get 1 4ft barracuda to the boat and had several different bites in the six hours with some snorkeling. By far best snorkeling we have ever done. Leo showed us some really cool things and we covered a lot of ground. He is also very knowledgeable on the area pointing out all the local resorts and landmarks. He even stopped to get some fresh coconuts from a tree on the beach which they split for us to have some fresh coconut water and coconut. Vivian was a pleasure to finally meet and they were all there to make sure we had a good time. We all can't wait until next time because we will be for sure using them again. Thank you Vivian, Leo and Choco latte.

1  Thank Crsavage
Reviewed 12 July 2014

From the start all communications with Vivian where great, everything was clear and there was never a miss understanding. Having walked down the beach from the Hotel we met Ivan waiting with other local fishermen on the beach we climbed aboard and started to set out to sea. After about 10 minutes my girlfriend didn't feel too good and wanted to return to shore. This was no problem for the crew. After dropping her off we speed straight back out to sea and started trolling.
On board with Ivan was Pepe and Bernard. Bernard kept a watchful eye on the lines and Pepe kept the fresh bait going. Ivan was up top looking out for signs of fish. Every now and then they would swap around getting out of the beating sun. I had a good chat with Ivan about our fishing adventures around the world. As it was just me on the boat since we dropped off my girlfriend I spent most of my time watching the water with guys looking for the fish. Being a keen angler back home I enjoyed the day even though we only caught one small Barracuda which gave me a battle scar (see pics). We lost three strikes which the guys think were Wahoo's. I knew the fishing had been slow recently but I know how fishing works so I wasn't naive and think that the fish would be climbing up the line. None the less it was a good day and I cant wait to return.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I went fishing with my girlfriend yesterday we had Leo and Chocolate as Leo called him they were fantastic always changing the bait and kept us stocked up on cool drinks and they kept us entertained from start to finish. I have been game fishing in Tenerife and Fuengirola this was by far the best fishing crew I have had and to top the day off we caught a 20lb Barracuda and had the fish cooked on the beach which was amazing. Vivian organised everything for us very clear from start to finish would definitely recommend !!

Gav & Chloe