“The Only Place for Pizza in PDC!”
Review of That's Amore

That's Amore
Ranked #108 of 1,331 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was our third trip to Playa del Carmen. The first we stayed in an all-inclusive but the last two times stayed at wonderful Mahekal, which has a 2 meal plan. We often switch dinner for lunch so that we can go out at night, and on both trips, That's Amore was a multiple dining option. We were there 9 days on this trip, and ate at That's Amore three times - the pizza is that good! It is a thin crust, lite-on-the-sauce pizza just the way I like it. We get the margarita, which can't be beat. They bring some red pepper infused olive oil which you can put on the pizza, and that just sends it over the edge!

They also give you a fabulous appetizer of chopped tomato with olive oil on a delicious piece of bread - there is probably a name for this, but I just call it YUMMY.

We have always had a warm welcome and great service, so I am surprised by comments in other reviews. You just have to understand that the pace and customs are different, so don't be shy about calling the server over. You almost always have to request the bill in any restaurant in PDC.

The location is toward the south end of 5th Av, which is super convenient if you are staying at Mahekal or Las Palapas or the Royale. It is all patio dining with nice fans and great people watching on 5th Av.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

As a regular visitor in Playa del Carmen most of my stays are 2 weeks or longer and I tend to gravitate to old favorites. Thats Amore is an Italian Restaurant on the Fifth Avenue, north of Constituyentes. Don't get me wrong, the food is good and I have tried other items on the menu other than pizza and found them to be equally as appetizing. There have been times that I have eaten here and the service is wonderful and other times where my guest and I were ignored to the point we just left without being served. At times I attribute poor service to 'Solo Diner Syndrome'. Two or more guests certainly getter BETTER attention. Unfortunately, I travel solo.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Just back from a week in Playa Del Carmen and this is the only place we ate at more than once. Wood oven pizza that is to die for. Service is excellent...thanks Javier! Take advantage of the Margherita Pizza deal - cheese pizza + 2 beer for 150 pesos. Never tried the pasta (pizza was just too good) but it looked good also. Very reasonable, especially considering it's right on 5th (between 28th and 30th).

Reviewed 24 February 2014

This restaurant is not a place I would rave about, the food was ok Italian, not great, but not bad either. We had the ravioli which was tasty and filling, and a fish meal, which was also tasty with its olive and pepper topping, and the capresse salad. We were dining early in the evening and the restaurant was not busy but the service was very, very slow. We had to ask several times for our drinks, and waited even longer for the agua we requested. The male server was over animated and a bit inefficient but the female server was very friendly and did her best to help out her "partner". Coffees at the end of the meal were excellente! I felt this meal a bit too pricey and would probably not recommend it or revisit it again.

1  Thank Sydney F
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Craving pizza we decided on That's Amore and it didn't disappoint. We found the thin crust pizza to be excellent! We enjoyed several tequila shots with a couple beers with new friends. We went back another night for pizza and ravioli which again was excellent. Javier remembered us from the previous day and gave us the same outstanding service.