“This is not a place for the aficionado”
Review of La Casa del Habano

La Casa del Habano
More attraction details
Owner description: Here at La Casa del Habano, you'll find all things Cuban - from some of the best Cuban rum in Playa to the finest Cuban cigars. Cigars are our specialty, we carry only Cuban cigars and are one of the only outlets officially certified by Habanos S.A. to carry their cigars. Our barstaff have created 8 different fresh fruit mojito's to complement your choice of Stogie, we also specialise in Hookah's and we carry over 15 different flavoured tobaccos. You don't have to be a smoker to enjoy our hospitality, our drinks are mixed by hand from fresh ingredients and we make a mean Marguerita and Piña Colada too.
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I pride myself in working hard all year so i can relax with a good smoke. This is not the place to go. Contrary to the web site details, this shop had a poor selection of cigars. of the boxes opened on display, it was very common to see cigars with split foot. very sad to see how poorly these cigars were maintained while commanding such prices. I opted for a local shop; ratings to follow.

1  Thank Jorge T
slabastida, Propietario at La Casa del Habano, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Hello Mr. Jorge. First of all, thank you for taking the time to write your opinion, which is very much appreciated.
I would like to address the issue of the presentation of the Cigars in our shop. I would like to assure you that after your review, we have inspected and improved the way we present cigars at the store in order to meet our client's highest expectations.
Regarding the pricing issue, and your choice to purchase at other stores, we highly respect your right to choose your suppliers. However, considering that it is a fact that you cannot get legitimate cigars for under 20 USD even in Cuba, we would like to invite you to read the following link that discusses the reality of counterfit and false cigars, and the real price of Cubans:

Thanks again, and we hope to see you again at our store in the future.

Alejandro Suarez, Owner / Manager.

There are newer reviews for La Casa del Habano

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Went to Playa last week and made a special trip to LCDH. I must have walked past a dozen or more cigar stores on Fifth St until I made it. After researching the web for the best place to purchase Cuban's, I did not want to go anywhere else. Alex was very helpful and had a good selection of cigars. The price was higher than other websites, but I was able to inspect every cigar I purchased at LCDH and was happy with my find.

1  Thank Kent S
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Have a great selection, and you don't have to worry about fakes. I'm an everyday cigar smoker and love this place. The prices are a little hearty, but your gonna have to pay for the real Cubans anywhere you get them. I picked up a box of Cohiba Behike 56's (10 per box) and a few other singles and the bill was over 700$. Sat out side and enjoyed a Partagas series# 2 and watched the crowd walk by. A must for the true aficionado

2  Thank Tommy J
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I live here so I usually avoid Fifth Ave but La Casa de Habana is the best. Owner, Alex, goes out of his way to have the best Cuban cigars at the best prices. His honesty and integrity guarantee true Cubans. No fakes here. Alex's reputation is tops. Don't smoke? Sit down, have a drink and enjoy the people watching. A super place to relax.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

Well, let me get this out of the way: I smoke Cuban cigars fairly regularly as they are available in my country, I frequently buy boxes too. I use these prices as benchmarks for any and all Cuban cigars I buy when out of the country.

With that out of the way, I do understand the allure for the people visiting from the USA to buy the "forbidden" sticks at outrageous prices.

However, here is a pro-tip: Go to Cozumel(around 20ish dollars for a return ticket) for a day and once you get off the ferry, go to the La Casa Del Habano there, you get the real prices of Cuban cigars(meaning not 16$ for a Montecristo 5 or a Meilleur Fleur)

If the price is no objection, have a blast at La Casa Del Habano in Playa.

The service and the atmosphere and everything else is amazing, I just can't justify the fact that sticks that fly to Europe, gets import taxed and still cost almost half than the one in Playa Del Carmen, which is really a "short" (90ish or so miles) swim away from Cuba.(fine, 250-300 miles to Havana)

Other than that, everything is terrific!

2  Thank La_TacheGC